Guild Wars 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
It's been several years since I've really ground out Wintersday but iirc the real reward is grinding out gifts and selling them on the TP. I think 3-5 hours a day every day at the JP getting near max runs in yielded me something like 1.5k by events end, but it's a maddening grind. No idea how profitable this is anymore but Halloween and Wintersday are usually the best gold farming holiday events. The karma run is really good too but unless you're out of karma the JP or Bell minigame should be prioritized. If you have Tac0 installed they have a really fantastic Orphan inlay.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah,

I still do not know what half the stuff in my Inventory is for. I know it is used either as a currency or for crafting. I play on and off. I enjoy it ok, but it does not hold my attention as much as I hoped it would. I think it just has to do with the amount of work you go through for small incremental upgrades or for a different look. I do love what they did with mounts. That is the game's best feature.
Gear wise, you can get ascended gear which is as good as you can get stat-wise. And there are websites that tell you precisely what to craft. It's not difficult at all. Time consuming of course then some materials are time-gated.

I had to play Guild Wars 2 for a while before the game finally "clicked" with me about the horizontal gear progression. There's no way I could go back a game with itemization like WoW. That shit is tired.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
It's been several years since I've really ground out Wintersday but iirc the real reward is grinding out gifts and selling them on the TP. I think 3-5 hours a day every day at the JP getting near max runs in yielded me something like 1.5k by events end, but it's a maddening grind. No idea how profitable this is anymore but Halloween and Wintersday are usually the best gold farming holiday events. The karma run is really good too but unless you're out of karma the JP or Bell minigame should be prioritized. If you have Tac0 installed they have a really fantastic Orphan inlay.

I haven't got into Wintersday much. The vibe and decor and all that stuff is all A+, but I don't like the JP (or them in general) and some of the other games. It's also at least 5k snowflakes for any good reward. Even if you get the gathering tools that provide snowflakes it all just seems very very grindy. I could be missing something, but again the ambiance is great. I still haven't finished the "game" itself so I guess if you've already done everything over the years then these provide something good to pursue.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As I stated earlier, the grind is a bit long for what the reward actually is. In that manner, it has a Korean made game flavor to it. This game kind of suffers from the same thing World of Warcraft suffered from. What would I do with 230 different looking mounts? I am trying to just focus on one skin type to build which would include the gen 2 Bow. I have since found that Clovers are the wall to that lovely toy. Coins..easy to get. Clovers...not as much. I will choose one alternate art mount. Of course I still have to do the griffin and dragon quest.

I guess the other problem I have is that the second Ashes of Creation hits Alpha 2, this game goes into the review mirror for me.

That and Cyberpunk has eaten up a lot of my recent time.....

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Free Black Lion Claim Ticket right now in the gem store until the 26th.

You can use it to claim a Shimmering Weapon skin and then sell it on the TP for 60g if you wanted although the price is kinda falling fast with everyone doing just that right now. The skins also look kinda nice.

• 1Salty

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was gonna start playing this again out of sheer boredom since I never played Path of Fire. Expansion came out 4 years ago and still $30! hard pass.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Was gonna start playing this again out of sheer boredom since I never played Path of Fire. Expansion came out 4 years ago and still $30! hard pass.

100%. About 3 months until New World paid beta and the only thing I got is SP back log and maybe Outriders next week.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They did change it so that it's now a bundle that contains both expansions, although that obviously doesn't help if you already have Heart of Thorns.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Launch GW2 is my favorite MMO of all time, and Heart of Thorns is my least-favorite MMO expansion. I played some in Path of Fire and that was better but I just can't recapture that pull with all of the other stuff they have layered on top of that base experience.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
PoF us their best content but they still need more dungeons. I enjoyed it for a long time but it's hard to play these days.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Launch GW2 is my favorite MMO of all time, and Heart of Thorns is my least-favorite MMO expansion. I played some in Path of Fire and that was better but I just can't recapture that pull with all of the other stuff they have layered on top of that base experience.
Agreed. The original launch was a ton of fun for quite along time.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I came back late last year. I still enjoy it but it is mainly just a grindfest for small amounts of optimization. I finally got the Skyscale. I enjoy that mount enough but laugh at how it still is not a true flying mount. I guess they are saving that for the next expansion. The game has plenty to do and will hopefully carry me to Alpha 2 Ashes of Creation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Majority of the core professions are boring as shit. The expansion elite professions vastly improve gameplay. I think GW2 is probably the best playing MMO on the market right now.

People need to get over the mentality of focusing on loot with +stats. That crap is old and tired.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New expansion "End of Dragons" is supposed to come out sometime this year. And GW2 is coming to steam apparently.

Haven't played this in a while. Will wait until closer to the expansion.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its weird how this has become a selling point for games. I havent logged into Steam in over 10 years, I dont even have it on my computer lol.
Some games it makes sense for where a publisher will strangle their game by using it to beta-testing their shitty Steam competitor. It's a weird selling point for an old MMO though. I get why expanding the market is interesting to NCSOFT, but what gamer is really looking forward to GW2's steam capability?

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Some games it makes sense for where a publisher will strangle their game by using it to beta-testing their shitty Steam competitor. It's a weird selling point for an old MMO though. I get why expanding the market is interesting to NCSOFT, but what gamer is really looking forward to GW2's steam capability?
Are there that many gamers who hate clicking another icon? You're *supposed* to have a messy desktop. Kids, ffs. Satan shoes and steam icons.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I think existing players were excited that it might bring more people to the game. Although, honestly, the game doesn't feel empty or anything. There are always plenty of people to run events even for the oldest content.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are there that many gamers who hate clicking another icon? You're *supposed* to have a messy desktop. Kids, ffs. Satan shoes and steam icons.
It never really bothered me that much but some steam competitors are dogshit out the gate and have spyware. Steam was dogshit out the gate too. It's not easy to implement a content-management platform when devs can just plunk out a random 100GB patch for a AAA game that many gamers must have NOW.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I think existing players were excited that it might bring more people to the game. Although, honestly, the game doesn't feel empty or anything. There are always plenty of people to run events even for the oldest content.
i play off and on every 6months-1year for a few months and drop it. It's great because the game has tons of content between all the different types of play, collectibles, achievements, legendary stuff etc. I always enjoy my time and play religiously until i stop playing one day and don't pick it up again.