Guild Wars 2

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
lol

Anyway, the game is exactly the same from 1-40 that it is from 40-80 just with different stuff to do. The game should of been levels 1-40 and they should of converted all the 40-80 zones into just "end-game" areas to explore, get loot, do fun things in.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
"Do fun things" like use the same attacks from level 4 to 80. Oh but you also have a couple other hotkeys on 30 second cooldown to SPICE THINGS UP, because using a different skill twice a minute is spicy.

That has to be my biggest complaint with the game. It's not interactive enough to pull off the FPS-like qualities they were shooting for.

"Do fun things" like use the same attacks from level 4 to 80. Oh but you also have a couple other hotkeys on 30 second cooldown to SPICE THINGS UP, because using a different skill twice a minute is spicy.

That has to be my biggest complaint with the game. It's not interactive enough to pull off the FPS-like qualities they were shooting for.
If you are talking about GW2 I am not sure what you mean by First Person Shooter. It's the third personiest game I've played.

If this was in reference to something else = then ignore me.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Gotta agree with you there. The skill system in GW1 was much superior IMO. Instead of using the same abilities for the entire game, you unlocked new abilities as you progressed thru the game.

I much prefer games like WoW, LOTRO, and Rift where you have full access to all your abilities and the skill in playing them revolves around using the right ability at the right time and managing cooldowns. The deck management games like GW2, TESO, Wildstar can make combat monotonous because you use the same exact button mashing routines over and over.

I played a thief in GW2 and Initiative was our resource. If I want to drop caltrops, shadowstep, use a venom or whatever, just have it use Initiative and give me the option to use it whenever I want to. I don't want skill bloat like in EQ2 where I had like 6-7 hotbars but 2-3 hot bars of abilities are fine.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
It was based on a combo system where I often didn't need to use a hotbar at all. Did you play the game?
Yes and my warrior definitely had more than 1 hotbar of abilities.

Edit: just checked a Tera website and warriors had well over 20 unique abilities, which confirms what I said about it have 2-3 hotbars of unique abilities.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
If you are talking about GW2 I am not sure what you mean by First Person Shooter. It's the third personiest game I've played.

If this was in reference to something else = then ignore me.
I'm talking about how skills (guns or powers) are acquired in FPS games and comparing that to how your weapon skills are acquired in GW2. I don't recall bitching about using the rocket launcher in quake 1 for the entirety of a DM map. I am bitching about having the same 5 1h sword (insert weapon here) skills available to me for the entirety of my GW2 experience.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm guessing you people are talking about 12 buttons per bar, so 24-36 abilities. The good thing about having that many abilities is that the increased budget allows for utility abilities you wouldn't even consider using if you only had 10-15 abilities. These utility, situational abilities really can add a lot of depth to a game by increasing the number of options a player has when engaging in combat.

It was based on a combo system where I often didn't need to use a hotbar at all. Did you play the game?
I played a priest and a warrior. Both were definitely in the 2+ hotbar category. Hitboxes/movement/animation lock added an extra dimension of differentiation of abilities, so it wasn't as stale as it could be with a bunch of dps power clones set apart by cast times alone. It's a bit silly to say, outside the context of the specific systems, that having lots of abilities is bad design.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm not talking about the # of buttons per bar.

I'm talking about, take the staff weapon type.

By level 5 if you're using staff you will have all 5 attacks unlocked with it. Those abilities persist for the rest of the game. You never get any additional staff skills. Ever.

I don't think that's very fun.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Nah playing at 20, 40 or 60 is similar, game pulls the usual bait'n'switch at the cap. It's just that in other games you switch from soloing quests to level to grinding dailies or pvp for tokens, and in GW2 you switch from exploring the zones to level (you skipped that, too bad) to grinding the living story of the week for achievements.

I'm talking about how skills (guns or powers) are acquired in FPS games and comparing that to how your weapon skills are acquired in GW2. I don't recall bitching about using the rocket launcher in quake 1 for the entirety of a DM map. I am bitching about having the same 5 1h sword (insert weapon here) skills available to me for the entirety of my GW2 experience.
I think the reason for this is that there isn't enough granularity to between successful skill use and failed skill use, and accompanying lack of feedback. In an fps there's a big difference (a lot of little differences) between getting a headshot or getting a couple of shots on the torso or missing completely (even in games that don't have different damage values for different body parts). There's even a granularity to missing. It's usually immediately obvious how successful you are with your aim, too, so you are always challenged to improve in a way that is commensurate with your skill level. This is probably the reason it is so easy for FPS players to feel engaged (leaderboards help too... and a host of other factors).

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The unfun loot/item progression and boring skills/abilities killed GW2 for me. I played a Ranger, and I could not care about any of my Signets/abilities that were on long cooldowns. I just spammed the short ones. I am sure that I could be more efficient then that, but that is not the point: I felt no lust or incentive to rotate those long cooldowns in.

Not sure if this is the same with other classes but when I tried a Warrior, and saw all those Hearts, and Viewpoints and PoI's that I would revisit (again) I lost my appetite. It is a pity because I still really like the world, the fluff, the graphics and the DE's. I still think they did an ok job. I am probably burned out on MMO's for a while. But Imust admit that I had more fun in my 8-month stint in GW1, in 2012 (really liked the henchman feature).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not talking about the # of buttons per bar.

I'm talking about, take the staff weapon type.

By level 5 if you're using staff you will have all 5 attacks unlocked with it. Those abilities persist for the rest of the game. You never get any additional staff skills. Ever.

I don't think that's very fun.
I actually prefer that system. Maybe I'm a problem but I hit the cap and level so fast the time period before all my abilities are available is a nuisance rather than an added complexity. These games are so easy I can just limp my way to the level cap without even understanding my abilities, getting gear or setting everything up.

Even when I play alts and spend the effort maximizing their potential at lower levels the changes from adding different abilities is just a hassle.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The unfun loot/item progression and boring skills/abilities killed GW2 for me. I played a Ranger, and I could not care about any of my Signets/abilities that were on long cooldowns. I just spammed the short ones. I am sure that I could be more efficient then that, but that is not the point: I felt no lust or incentive to rotate those long cooldowns in.

Not sure if this is the same with other classes but when I tried a Warrior, and saw all those Hearts, and Viewpoints and PoI's that I would revisit (again) I lost my appetite. It is a pity because I still really like the world, the fluff, the graphics and the DE's. I still think they did an ok job. I am probably burned out on MMO's for a while. But Imust admit that I had more fun in my 8-month stint in GW1, in 2012 (really liked the henchman feature).
Well, ranger abilities are fucking awful.