Guild Wars 2

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If every WoW raid took 2 hours to beat the first night, you bet I'd pound on Blizzard for not making a new one every two weeks. But it's still close to the same ratio.

Unless you're one of the relatively tiny minority of heroic-level guilds, most of the new content consists of a standard-mode raid that takes you between three or four weeks of 2-3 evenings a week to beat. Then you farm it for three months until the next content. Lets say 15 4-hour evenings of new content (and calling it new content is debatable once you're on your fifth attempt of boss X) for 3 months. If you bring it back to a two weeks ratio, you're looking at 6-7 hours of "new content" per two weeks. That's more than GW2's usual average of 2-3 hours per same, but it's not an enormous difference. And most of that difference comes from the fact that you're going to fight the same boss half a dozen to a dozen times before finishing it, then fighting it again each week until you're done with the overall content.

Of course, for a larger chunk of the players, the new content is about 5 hours of LFR, which they're probably going to down the second time they run through the instance, and only the fact that the wings are locked prevent you from finishing the entire 3/4-month raid content before the weekend past the patch.

How long is the levelling content? I was almost done with leveling content after one and a half week of moderate post-launch casual play (i.e. at 25h a week). The only zone I hadn't done was that Klaxxi-stuff. I'm generous, so I'll say it's 50h of content. Plus a few dungeons (which represent about 6-8h of new content; heroic mode farming does not count as new content). And that was it for TWO FUCKING YEARS. You end up with 2h of brand new (non-raid) content per two weeks... just all bunched up at the start of the blizzard two-year cycle.

Oh, it is. I'm going to resubscribe to WoW for the expansion. And after two-three months, I'm going to do what a large number of people in this forum do: I'll unsub, and wait two years for interesting content to come back.

Yep. I'm playing GW2. I'm not playing WoW. Sounds like an answer. They're actually about as fun to play; one is free and I play as much as I want it, the other is pressuring me to feel like I have to log in as much as I can to get the most out of my sub. Now, if I was into hardcore heroic-level raiding, I'm sure I'd be playing WoW. But I'm not.

And that's the main difference between GW2 and WoW. GW2's content is designed to be beaten. WoW stretches its content by making sure you need to play thru the beginning dozens/hundreds of times before seeing the end.
If you're a 'normal mode' raider, then that content isn't done in a fucking week you retard. People that beat normal mode the first week are in hard mode guilds, people that beat normal mode the first MONTH are in 'hard mode' guilds. they don't just beat normal once and farm forever, the people in normal mode guilds take most of a content patch TO BEAT NORMAL MODE.

Even if you resub once per xpac and exhaust all of the initial content as you claim, each expansion *STILL* has like triple the amount of content to do per two years compared to what Guild Wars has had added since launch. To pretend they don't add anything other than launch content is factually wrong and extremely reductive, but even if you pretend it's true your argument is flawed as fuck. GW2 added almost NO content in the first season, and now in season 2 is adding a few hours total over the course of like the entire time!

On the flipside, you retarded mongoloid, they also add things like pet battle, scenarios, rep grinds with daily quests (IF YOU WANT TO DO THEM. Which since you waste your time playing GW2 clearly indicates you enjoy that shit), and every patch adds more of this stuff.

Let's hit you with some numbers:
GW2 has 301 renown hearts. Even if we decide there are say, 5 times as many events as there are renown hearts, we're sitting at a solid like 1800 'quests' in the game. Mists of Pandaria alone when I search wowhead has 2617 fucking quests. Cataclysm? over 5,000. Wrath of the lich king? ALMOST 4,000. Warlords of Draenor? almost 3,000 and it's still just datamined Beta stuff at this point. The ENTIRETY OF GUILD WARS 2 CONTENT consists of those quests, and jumping puzzles, and doing those things over and over again for meaningless grinds for cosmetic gear.

Fractals and dungeons? Ok, the dungeons were ALL awful, and there were 8? Fractals consist of 13 interlocking setpieces of the smallest size imaginable. I'd consider them analagous to Scenarios in wow on a per-level basis, except that Scenarios are at least PARTLY not just 'kill all the things' or 'hit F on all the things', but still let's just call them the same for simplicity's sake. You don't want to consider 'heroic' dungeons part of their design? fine, not going to look at explorable mode either then since it's the same shit (For the record, nobody with half a brain considers either of these things the same as their lower level versions, but I'll make it easier for you by accepting your flawed logic).

Now let's add in EVERYTHING ELSE that gets added that can't be thrown into these small categories that make up the majority of what is in these releases:

GW2 - Sanctum sprint
Cosmetic items you get to grind for.
1 new WvW map that sucked.
3 'world boss' type events.

WoW -
4 non-release day world bosses over the course of the expansion
2 new Battlegrounds which are actually fun
Throne of Thunder - a raid with LFR normal and Heroic. Let's consider the LFR as the only tihng you do just to 'do it' once.
The Isle of Thunder - lots of event bosses and other fun things to find, rep to get if you want, dailies, whatever. We'll leave the quests out of it since they're counted in that number up there already. only fair, but it IS a new zone with a lot of content even if you don't do dailies.
A world PvP/questing subzone with a quest progression and storyline that was relevent to everything (Lion's Landing stuff)
Something like 3 or 4 scenarios, plus heroic versions of most of the older ones.
Timeless Isle, which is littered with GW2 style 'events' and has a ton of cosmetic crap to get if you want, none of this is counted in quests above because wowhead doesn't track them that way.
Siege of Orgrimmar, which despite being out for a year was a huge fucking raid with 4 LFR wings.
A Siege of Orgrimmar launch event with rewards you could get for doing random shit.
Brawler's Guild, better than Sanctum Sprint but theyr'e the same type of 'random unrelated activity' that both games could use more of.
Extra brawler's Guild bosses in the siege patch.
Legendary Pet Battle bosses and some other pet battle shit on timeless isle.
Maybe more shit but I'm tired of thinking and listing it so I'll stop here, since I think my point is clear.

If you only 'sub' long enough to do the content once and then unsub, you're missing a lot of shit over the course of two years. A hell of a lot more than GW2 is giving. you could play through the entirety of GW2's post-launch events and content a single time without grinding for stupid backpieces in less than half a day, EASILY. Probably less than 6 hours. It would take you that long just to get through the LFRs that were added to wow once each, especially if you were doing them when they were new as opposed to a year after the fact or more.

Brawler's Guild alone is more entertaining than the entirety of Guild Wars 2 as a game, and would take you longer than that.

Wow is far from a perfect game, and their release schedule blows ass, but it's outright false to try and portray GW2 as some kind of savior due to it's F2P-ness and 2 week release schedule. They release DOG SHIT every two weeks and you scoop it up and eat it because it's free. You could sub to wow for one month right now if you haven't played since Mists launch, and not even come REMOTELY close to exhausting the things there are to do.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Everybody has played fucking WoW and most people quit. GW2 is different, if I don't play for a year, my gear won't magically turn to shit compared to the rest of the playerbase and I can play the new content at my own leisure instead of trying to herd 5/10/25 cats.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Everybody has played fucking WoW and most people quit. GW2 is different, if I don't play for a year, my gear won't magically turn to shit compared to the rest of the playerbase and I can play the new content at my own leisure instead of trying to herd 5/10/25 cats.
Whats WoW?

TheYanger

Cool argument bro. If I don't play GW2 for a year, they will have added 3 more bear ass events I can do to get no reward. And then log off for the next year.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Someone is rustled.
Sounds like.

We're comparing apple and oranges anyway. GW2 has introduced a lot of content, including multiple world bosses, dungeons.

The big differences between WoW-type content and GW2-type content are two:

1) Most of GW2-type content was temporary, for 2 weeks, then gone, while Blizzard insists that every single piece of content must last until the day the servers close. Just in case you want to do/redo them.

2) Most of GW2-type content is designed to be done. It's actually important to understand why ANet delivers a lot of content compared to Blizzard...
If you're a 'normal mode' raider, then that content isn't done in a fucking week you retard.
Nope. That content is done in 3 hours. The difference is that you need to repeat that content from 1-2 (LFR-level difficulty) to 100 (heroic-level difficulty) before you see the end of the fight. ANet just gives you the LFR-level difficulty tuning.

Just to be on the same page: because you need to wipe 100 times in the middle of a 20mn combat before you see the boss down does not mean that blizzard has designed a content that lasts 50 hours. It means it has designed a content that lasts 20mn but that you have to repeat 100 times before moving to the next one. And that's chiefly how Blizzard makes you think they've done a shitton more content than they actually did every patch. Once you remove the number of times you repeat it before saying "it's done", you realize it's not that much.

Is it more difficult? Of course it is. And that's why we're comparing apple and oranges - you appear to equate the difficulty of the content with the amount of content. WoW has a bit more content than GW2, not vastly more content. The biggest difference is in the presentation (2-week small bites rather than 4-months 5-course meals), permanency (Twisted Marionette is a world boss like a WoW world boss. It's just gone after two weeks), and difficulty (GW2 content is doable from the first time, while WoW gives you 4 levels of difficulty for the same content).
TheYanger_sl said:
Mists of Pandaria alone when I search wowhead has 2617 fucking quests.
And guess what? It took me about 50 hours of /played to finish all the quests in all the zones. I don't care if there's 300 quests or 2000. What I care is: how long does it take me to do the content? That's the currency we spend in those games: our leisure time. That's how you compare apple and oranges: how long is your content?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
GW2 is a weird fucking game. It is basically like a sandbox game as far as incentive structures without any of the real upside of it being a sandbox with regards to pvp or whatever.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
GW2 is a weird fucking game. It is basically like a sandbox game as far as incentive structures without any of the real upside of it being a sandbox with regards to pvp or whatever.
This is a really good description. I liked the game, played it for 6?+ months, for sure got the box price out of it but everytime I think about going back I ask myself why and don't have an answer.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
This is a really good description. I liked the game, played it for 6?+ months, for sure got the box price out of it but everytime I think about going back I ask myself why and don't have an answer.
I've tried to force myself back a few times, but there's just no incentive. WvWvW sorta almost got me to play again, but the 'rank' structure bonuses are so minimal* (+.0005% damage to guard NPCs!!1!1!!) it might as well be no bonuses. Even Rift's shitty AA bonuses are better :p

* Ok the ability to hold more supplies is great for WvW raiding, but would take months of playing.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maxing out the guard defender/guard killer bonuses gives you what amounts to a near permanent 250 Vit/100 power/100 condition damage. And now you get the points across all your characters. It's not bad but it's a grind to get there.

Some of the siege weapon masteries are pretty fucking overpowered, if you like shooting people with wooden contraptions. In total, the rank bonuses are nice but they're not really enough, and they take too long to grind.

I'm looking forward to seeing what siege golem mastery does.

I basically play this game solely to WvW in Edge of the Mists because it's filled with upleveled zergs that I can smash with massive meteor crits. Or hammer crits. Or whatever.

I straight up 1v8ed a group of upleveled chars the other day on my elementalist.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Let's be real here, GW2 has added almost no substantial content given that it has been around for two years.
But they did. The main problem here is that most of that content poofed two weeks after being added, and it was added in small bite-sized pieces. So you tend to dismiss it, even though it was real when it was there.

The Season 2 makes a turn since all of the new content since they launched in China seem to be permanent. So far, it's mostly questing/storyline content, plus pieces and bits of a new zone, so we'll see what it amounts to over time.

TheYanger

But they did. The main problem here is that most of that content poofed two weeks after being added, and it was added in small bite-sized pieces. So you tend to dismiss it, even though it was real when it was there.

The Season 2 makes a turn since all of the new content since they launched in China seem to be permanent. So far, it's mostly questing/storyline content, plus pieces and bits of a new zone, so we'll see what it amounts to over time.
No, MOST of the content was dogshit 'events' that were exactly the same as every other event in the game, and then throw in a new graphic you could get 10,000 pieces of zhaitaffy to unlock.

This is not content.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This is not content.
So, content that uses the same tech and mechanic as previously seen is not content? I get it.

I'll note that, out of the "2617 fucking quests" in MoP, none are content, by the way. I think I remember ONE quest that used a mechanic I've never seen (the gong meditation one). 5mn of new content, hooorah!

No, MOST of the content was dogshit 'events' that were exactly the same as every other event in the game, and then throw in a new graphic you could get 10,000 pieces of zhaitaffy to unlock.

This is not content.
Yeah we all get it. You hate GW2. You think content is only shit expansions every half decade like Pandafuckery (loss of 1/3 of all subscribers) andthe newest piece of crap, The Space Blueberry's Revisited, which will be out sometime before 2020. Have you caught all the Pokemon yet?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I finally got around to playing some of the new story and it's actually pretty good, the scripting still sucks balls, but their PvE encounter design has improved significantly and, unlike certain other game, they don't instance/phase fucking everything.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I loved that whole 8-bit like event. That was pretty ingenious. Can you still access it somehow?

The Halloween jump tower was brutal, but it was fun & funny making the same sorry attempts with the same people, and listening to the chatter
wink.png

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Since the new story content is there to stay, I'd count it now. I also enjoy the movement around Dry Top, flying mounts ruined exploration in WoW.