Guitar Hero (PS4/Xbone)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Would buy this day 1. They are just fun games, and I burn out quick on them but at least once a month, I wish I still had all my gear, and would love to play a few songs. Hopefully take a few queues from Rocksmith, in terms of gameplay progression. Dynamic difficulty, and the way you went to different venues in that was pretty fun. Kinda like a story mode.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure Rockband was announced for the new consoles a month or so ago, too. I play Rocksmith mostly now, but I'll pick one of the two up after I hear features and reviews. Not that I have room for plastic instruments in my apartment...

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'll wait for reviews and impressions. GH peaked with GH3 and for some reason they kept tweaking the engine and making it worse and worse.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
World Tour wasn't too bad, the ones after were really bad. They could make a killing if they just released "Guitar Hero" for PS4 with a shitload of songs and then released song-pack expansions as DLC later rather than a new iteration of the game every year.

Tenks

Well you're describing the Rock Band approach (mass DLC) versus the Guitar Hero approach (mass iterations)

From what I understand what really killed the genre (outside of massive over saturation) is that the record companies started getting very greedy with the contracts and it was becoming more and more difficult to release their music. Possibly now that the genre is mostly dead maybe the record companies will realize getting some money from this source is better than no money. Also your premise of basically "Release GH base then release GH2-esque but just via DLC" has an issue with the contracting and licensing of music as well. Which is why with RB when you bought RB2 you had to pay for the extraction code because they had to re-license all the music to be played on the RB2 platform.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I hope the publishers don't fuck the genre to death again.

BONUS MIPPO CONTENT!

My buddy's old band's song on rockband

Tenks

To be fair with (now defunct) RBN I could make a song and it would be in RB as well

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We still occasionally play GH when we get drunk, it's a great party game. I never understood the scoring. I felt as if I was playing on expert "decently" and someone was playing Easy "perfectly" we should be closer in score. I always lost because I couldn't hit 100% like everyone else who was afraid to move up.

Tenks

Expert has like 100x more notes than Easy and you get a static point value per note. Lets say it is 10. So even if you never create a streak and only hit 50% of the notes you still have a better opportunity to generate points just because there are more notes on the screen. And as long as you're not doing scales many parts of expert is just chugging on the same fairly easy-to-hit series of notes in a row. So if you fuck up the transitions you still have the chance to get 40 points because you play 5 of the same note/chord in a row. But on easy you only get 1 of these notes. Which theoretically with 8x streak could net you 80 points but that is assuming Easy only has 1/5 the notes and it actually has far less.

-edit-

I just noticed you said you were losing in score. You must be terrible.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not a chance in hell I am buying this unless they give me the opportunity to make sure all my previous DLC of music tracks can be redownloaded.

Especially with Activision behind it now, and who knows which developer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Expert has like 100x more notes than Easy and you get a static point value per note. Lets say it is 10. So even if you never create a streak and only hit 50% of the notes you still have a better opportunity to generate points just because there are more notes on the screen. And as long as you're not doing scales many parts of expert is just chugging on the same fairly easy-to-hit series of notes in a row. So if you fuck up the transitions you still have the chance to get 40 points because you play 5 of the same note/chord in a row. But on easy you only get 1 of these notes. Which theoretically with 8x streak could net you 80 points but that is assuming Easy only has 1/5 the notes and it actually has far less.

-edit-

I just noticed you said you were losing in score. You must be terrible.
It actually varies game-to-game. Some of the guitar hero games award expert with more points and some penalize you for not getting as high a percentage.

Tenks

I always preferred RB's engine, song selection and everything compared to GH so I don't really care about a next-gen GH. I'd be more interested in a next-gen RB. Only thing I preferred about GH was the guitar controller compared to RB's Strat. But you could buy the GH one and play with RB so that wasn't a huge deal.

Tenks

It actually varies game-to-game. Some of the guitar hero games award expert with more points and some penalize you for not getting as high a percentage.
Last time I took a GH seriously was 3. After that most of the score hero community moved to RB. Some if the other iterations may have had a weirder scoring system.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I once got motion sickness from GH. I had my eyes locked on the TV for hours and when I looked away I could see an area around where the fretboard should've been in my vision - movement and all. Like those "stare at the dot" brainfucks on the internet.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That happened to me every time I played. Then someone in my family said I move my lips really fast when I'm playing like I'm reading the notes or something so I stopped playing :|

Tenks

At work we had a fundraising thing where we put together a Rock Band. I played guitar on expert while singing on medium and playing the guitar behind my back for certain riffs and my fucktard rest of the band let me down and we didn't win
frown.png

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I always preferred RB's engine, song selection and everything compared to GH so I don't really care about a next-gen GH. I'd be more interested in a next-gen RB. Only thing I preferred about GH was the guitar controller compared to RB's Strat. But you could buy the GH one and play with RB so that wasn't a huge deal.
This, except I liked the length and that the buttons were larger on the rockband guitar which made them easier to hit when you were really flailing. I love the direction Rocksmith took the genre but its not much of a party game.

Tenks

I found the RB guitar took too much pressure to actually depress the button. So when you got into really complicated and fast scalar portions where really the best way of doing them is to make your fingers go mostly limp and just very lightly move them I had to take actual effort to press the RB controller. I also preferred now the GH controller didn't have flush buttons and they weren't connected. I liked they were raised and each was spaced out from the other.