Gun control

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Even with ear protection hearing damage can occur and the sound of gun shots carry realllly well. Even with tons of space between you and your neighbor they can still get annoyed. Trust me I know.
frown.png

It's even a bigger issue at a range where tons of shots are going off. Doubly so in an indoor range (I wear plugs + muffs and some stuff is still painful to be in a lane next to).

I actually pretty dumb that they are regulated at all, like I said, I think they should be required like mufflers on cars.

frown.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Where are you going to be shooting that sound is that big of a concern, though? I'm assuming if you shoot in your backyard or something, you've got a pretty good amount of space, and it seems like a non-factor at a range or similar.
Duppin it's really not that complicated. I do appreciate that gunshots are loud though and wouldn't want silencers to be very common.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
It still sounds to me more like something you want because you think it's cool. Which, for the purposes of my question, is fine.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
It still sounds to me more like something you want because you think it's cool. Which, for the purposes of my question, is fine.
Guns are loud and I value my hearing.

Also, my .45 came with a threaded barrel from Sig so why the fuck not?

It doesn't sound like anything. That's the point.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Nope, never felt the need to. I've shot some but just on my stepfather's property, which is in the middle of nowhere.

Fadaar

That guy
Nope, never felt the need to. I've shot some but just on my stepfather's property, which is in the middle of nowhere.
Well there you go. Visit an indoor pistol range and you'll change your mind very quickly. It's like asking why I wear foamies + earmuffs when I'm around running fighter jets at work. You want to save your hearing as well as you can.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Okay, that's fair. I don't know that I agree that it's worth the potential societal downsides to have a lot of them in circulation, but at least it's a legit thing to want them for.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You do realize silencers do not silence weapons right? Or do you simply go by whatever hollywood says on the matter?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Okay, I'm attempting to be reasonable; but are you guys really stupid enough to not realize that, outside of the specialized situations you guys are talking about (ranges/target shooting in dense neighborhoods) it's in everybody's best interest to be able to easily hear gunshots happening and be able to react to them?

Yes, I realize they don't "silence" gunshots but by your own goddamn admissions they significantly reduce the noise.

Okay, I'm attempting to be reasonable; but are you guys really stupid enough to not realize that, outside of the specialized situations you guys are talking about (ranges/target shooting in dense neighborhoods) it's in everybody's best interest to be able to easily hear gunshots happening and be able to react to them?

Yes, I realize they don't "silence" gunshots but by your own goddamn admissions they significantly reduce the noise.
Phoenix is either trolling you or hes a fucking retard. Either way, doesn't merit a serious response.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord

What dog do you have in this hunt?

From your posts, you seem concerned about the proliferation of these into the nefarious hands of all who want them. You know that's not the case. You started off by wondering if it was just an ePeen-esque type of purchase, and when you were replied to that it was for a specific reason, a reason you have no first hand knowledge of, you pussy foot around this spurious "social downsides" bit. If the baddies really needed them to commit dastardly deeds, they'd be using them now.

First off, it's not like I can go down to Wal-Mart and pick up a six-pack of silencers. They're expensive for anything above .22. It's a hassle to acquire them. The aren't legal in all 50 states. To transfer one to yourself (individual) you have to go through an ATF background check and get the CLEO to sign off on it.

Every time I shoot my .45, I'd like to not hear it. It's loud as fuck. A suppressor solves the problem.