Gun control

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
But as far as i know you don't live in CO or NY. So answer my question: Why is it your business what happens in NY or CO ? Why does what happens in someone else's house any business of yours ? At the next election, the citizens who disprove of these laws will have a chance to vote out the gun nuts. But if by the next election cycle the same anti-gun nuts remain in power, would you accept that as an implicit approval of the voters for the gun restrictions ?
Lol at your fucking retarded "mind your own business" argument. Jeez you are fucking retarded. I mean honestly I've ignored most of your posts, but I have to believe this is a new level of stupid for you. Full retard, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My point is this: If a state is deciding to pass AWBs, then that is a matter for that state to resolve. I'm a strong proponent of a state and that state's citizens being allowed to have the discretion of legislating their in-house business. The best analogy would be if your neighbor down the street decided to prevent all of the members of that household from carrying guns in that home; that's none of MY business and none of YOUR business, unless you live in that home (state). If the members of that household (state) disagree, then there is a process for changing this policy. But unless the homeowners association (the feds) banned all guns in the neighborhood (country), who fucking cares ?
Okay I understand.

And I completely disagree. It's perfectly legitimate for someone to talk shit about a neighboring state or event another country when they pass dumb laws. That you need to come up with a bad metaphor that somehow pretends another state is equivalent to another house further shows the inadequacy of your idea.

I think Aychamo is correct, and you really don't need to try this hard to find a reason to attack aychamo. If I were you I'd focus on his idiotic insulting of 'libtards'.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
But as far as i know you don't live in CO or NY. So answer my question: Why is it your business what happens in NY or CO ? Why does what happens in someone else's house any business of yours ? At the next election, the citizens who disprove of these laws will have a chance to vote out the gun nuts. But if by the next election cycle the same anti-gun nuts remain in power, would you accept that as an implicit approval of the voters for the gun restrictions ?
First they came for the communists...

Okay I understand.

And I completely disagree. It's perfectly legitimate for someone to talk shit about a neighboring state or event another country when they pass dumb laws. That you need to come up with a bad metaphor that somehow pretends another state is equivalent to another house further shows the inadequacy of your idea.

I think Aychamo is correct, and you really don't need to try this hard to find a reason to attack aychamo. If I were you I'd focus on his idiotic insulting of 'libtards'.
My annoyance stems from his continued instance that THE GOVERNMENT is coming to take your guns. Even if a state bans the guns in that state, they're not coming for HIS guns, because he doesn't live in that state. He can complain all he wants, but unless he has voting power in a state that's voting on gun control, his complaints aren't worth shit.

First they came for the communists...
I understand the point, but the point would have more effect if what's being done is illegal or unconstitutional. As far as I know no one is making that argument -- we just think the laws being passed are stupid and pointless. But hey, if Colorado or New York wants to overreact, by all means.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My annoyance stems from his continued instance that THE GOVERNMENT is coming to take your guns. Even if a state bans the guns in that state, they're not coming for HIS guns, because he doesn't live in that state. He can complain all he wants, but unless he has voting power in a state that's voting on gun control, his complaints aren't worth shit.
Show me where someone on this forum who lives out side of NY/CO etc is saying "CO passed this law and now CO is coming from my guns", otherwise I think you're ignoring a man's argument and are replacing it with your own hyperbole so it's easier for you to argue it. More simply: You're building strawmen.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Some state governments follow in the footsteps of other states. WA already has a terrible "AWB Ban" in the works and I don't want them pointing to CO and what they passed/are trying to pass to rally support for it. And most state government officials are still members of national parties and derive their agendas from said political parties.

Show me where someone on this forum who lives out side of NY/CO etc is saying "CO passed this law and now CO is coming from my guns", otherwise I think you're ignoring a man's argument and are replacing it with your own hyperbole so it's easier for you to argue it. More simply: You're building strawmen.
If you really, really want me to find it, I can dig through the previous 20 pages and find the examples later for you.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you really, really want me to find it, I can dig through the previous 20 pages and find the examples later for you.
Please do, but I can guarantee you that nobody outside of a state is afraid of that state taking away their guns. You might be able to find more complex fears, but that's not the fear you've stated Aychamo has continued insistence of.

khalid

Unelected Mod
What we HAVE said is that another state taking away rights DOES effect us indirectly. Like how if Illinois passed a ban, i could no longer spend weekends shooting at my dads. Or how his entire collection, his collection that he will one day leave to me, could suddenly be illegal or require registration. Or how I currently cannot go to NY and shoot with my friends there.

However, NO ONE has said in this thread that the law in NY means they will come into MO and take my guns. Thats flat out bullshit coming out of your imagination.

Please do, but I can guarantee you that nobody outside of a state is afraid of that state taking away their guns. You might be able to find more complex fears, but that's not the fear you've stated Aychamo has continued insistence of.
Sure, I'll do my best. I traced it back, and I think this would be a good place to start. So my original response is here:

First, no, that wasn't the source of my annoyance. The source of my annoyance is him harping at 1 fucking crackpot senator and playing the "oh woe is me !!!" victim card and then citing to the same crackpot senator to fuel his conspiracy theory that the gov'ment is comin to get his guns. The AWB expired 10 years ago; it ain't coming back. He needs to stop being a whinny little bitch.

Second: While I think the AWB was a shitty and stupid idea, it sure as hell wasn't unconstitutional. It may be your opinion than it was unconstitutional, hell, it may be my opinion that it was unconstitutional, but our opinions mean dick. The only opinions that mater when it comes to the constitutionality of laws passed by congress is that of the SCOTUS. I don't really blame you for this if you're just expressing your opinion, but I've had enough of the armchair constitutional scholars to last me a lifetime from the Obamacare fiasco.
This is my response to the people pointing their fingers at one gun nut, Feinstein, as a harbringer of the coming revival of the Federal AWB. This is me saying that a Fed AWB will never happen.

Khalid's response to my assertion that a Federal AWB would not come to pass:

Well, my annoyance is with people like you acting like we should just blithely sit back and wait to see what they pass before getting worked up. It isn't just Feinstein that is for an outright ban and I am not comforted by your assertion that the AWB won't ever come back. If the AWB isn't pushed forward in the next few weeks, it will partially be because people got worked up about it and called/emailed/signed up for the NRA. Certainly right after Newtown we had alot of people saying they needed to do a harsher version of the AWB.
Phoenix's response to that above quoted post, citing a STATE ban to refute my argument that a FEDERAL ban would never occur:

ZOMG CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120400946/...ill-fact-sheet
Khalid's response to my assertion that a FED awb would not pass, by, again, citing a STATE action:

How the fuck does something like that pass 43-18? So fucking glad I don't live in NY heh.

So yeah Soysauceonrice, this is why we get worked up about this shit. "No one is after a complete ban on guns" indeed.
Me telling people to calm the fuck down, because this is a STATE action by NY, and not a FEDERAL action that would affect everyone:

This shit passed because the people of New York wanted it passed. If you don't live in New York, you have nothing to worry about. If you do, then you know who to bitch at and vote out at the next election. It's a state action, not a Federal overreach.

And by the way, I hate to sound like I'm defending this bill, because I'm not, but even THIS piece of shit isn't going to take all your guns. So no, no one is after a complete ban on guns. The over-the-top rhetoric is not needed.
And this is what you're looking for: Aychomo stating that because they ban AWBs in New York, it is the first shot in a trend that would inevitably infringe on EVERYONE's rights, regardless of what state you live in.

Holy shit, can you stop being a fucking retard? The "people" did not want this shit passed. Quit being so fucking delusioned by your retarded political beliefs to fool yourself into thinking this isn't the start of a massively huge trend of fucking people out of their constitutional rights. Fuck you for saying we have nothing to worry about. You are completely wrong.
Another nugget, that argues against a point i never made. I made the point that a Fed AWB would never occur. He strawmans and says that i made the argument that a STATE would never pass an AWB -- a contention i never made.

This is the exact shit that the fucking clueless retards in this thread said will "never" happen. Wow. Some of you people are just so willing to role over and give up your rights. It's fucking disgusting. Our country is completely fucked because it's inundated with pussified retards that don't want to work and want everything given to them for free, and are so fucking myopic that they may as well be blind.
I'll leave you to decide who's strawmaning who.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Not a SINGLE THING you quoted has anyone saying that we fear one state coming to another state to take our guns. Good job proving yourself wrong.

What we were saying is that a state passing a ban (even when you aren't in that state) is something that everyone should get concerned about.

Not a SINGLE THING you quoted has anyone saying that we fear one state coming to another state to take our guns. Good job proving yourself wrong.

What we were saying is that a state passing a ban (even when you aren't in that state) is something that everyone should get concerned about.
That's because I'm responding to Tuco's request, not yours. Shut the fuck up. The point is not one state's ban would result in that state coming to your state to take your guns. The point is that you people think one state's ban will have any effect in YOUR state.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll accept that you're admitting being wrong here, Soy, but whether you acknowledge it is irrelevant at this point because you bring up a more important and debatable argument: Whether a state implementing an AWB is an indication that a federal level AWB is more likely than people thought a few months ago. I'd say yes. When states start banning things people should be more concerned about a federal ban. It's not proof that it'll happen, but it's information that indicates it could.

I'm not big on snowball arguments but this isn't a change in idea or severity, going from state to federal is simply a change in scope.

khalid

Unelected Mod
That's because I'm responding to Tuco's request, not yours. Shut the fuck up.
As soon as you stop quoting me and then saying I'm saying something I clearly am not.

I mean, jesus, do you rant at the ACLU when they get upset at state laws that infringe freedom of speech? Do you get mad at Planned Parenthood if they get upset at state laws also? The issues are fucking linked, whether a state takes away our rights or the federal government does, its the same goddamn thing, and some of us aren't so selfish that we only care about ourselves. I care if people in other states get fucked over also.

So you shut the fuck up.

As soon as you stop quoting me and then saying I'm saying something I clearly am not.

I mean, jesus, do you rant at the ACLU when they get upset at state laws that infringe freedom of speech? Do you get mad at Planned Parenthood if they get upset at state laws also? The issues are fucking linked, whether a state takes away our rights or the federal government does, its the same goddamn thing, and some of us aren't so selfish that we only care about ourselves. I care if people in other states get fucked over also.

So you shut the fuck up.
See, when you say something like this, then you're making an entirely different argument -- that what is being passed is either 1) illegal, or 2) unconstitutional, as opposed to just being STUPID. So before we go anywhere else, explain to me what exactly your position is. Are you saying that these state bans are UNCONSTITUTIONAL ? Or are you just saying that they are STUPID and INEFFECTIVE ?

A BAD/STUPID/INEFFECTIVE law that does not affect you really gives you no right to complain. But an ILLEGAL/UNCONSTITUTIONAL law that infringes on rights of fellow Americans, DOES. Hence, why I don't complain then the ACLU jump in to protect constitutional rights of other citizens.

khalid

Unelected Mod
See, when you say something like this, then you're making an entirely different argument -- that what is being passed is either 1) illegal, or 2) unconstitutional, as opposed to just being STUPID. So before we go anywhere else, explain to me what exactly your position is. Are you saying that these state bans are UNCONSTITUTIONAL ? Or are you just saying that they are STUPID and INEFFECTIVE ?
Your argument so far has been that it shouldn't matter what the state passes, since it doesn't effect us. Glad you are moving on past that and agree that it does matter.

As for my opinion on the NY law, yes I believe it is unconstitutional, stupid and ineffective. It is clearly stupid given the provision where you can possess a 10 round magazine but can only load it with 7 (as if a criminal will obey this when heading for a bank heh). It won't effect gun violence much if at all (almost all crimes are done with handguns), it shows a clear misunderstanding of guns themselves (like not understanding that a mini-14 is as deadly as an ar-15), and it is unconstitutional in my opinion.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Right now there's a man serving prison time in New York for having an illegal handgun in New York. He's not from New York city so why should their laws bother him?

He was on a plane going from state X and state Y where his checked handgun was legal in both states. His plane made an emergency landing and he had to recheck his luggage to go back home. Arrested and sentenced to prison. It's been appealed but I think it's been 3 years now and no word yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Right now there's a man serving prison time in New York for having an illegal handgun in New York. He's not from New York city so why should their laws bother him?

He was on a plane going from state X and state Y where his checked handgun was legal in both states. His plane made an emergency landing and he had to recheck his luggage to go back home. Arrested and sentenced to prison. It's been appealed but I think it's been 3 years now and no word yet.
Any source for this?

"A BAD/STUPID/INEFFECTIVE law that does not affect you really gives you no right to complain." -Soy
I disagree completely and think you and I can't come to terms on this. Constitutionality does not define whether a state law could affect me.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Borzak, are you sure he is currently in jail?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...supreme-court/seems to indicate he got out after 10 days, but his gun was held for 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, its still completely fucked up and shows that you shouldn't just be worried about your own state. However, lets keep to the facts so people don't nitpick and miss the broader point.