Gun control

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The CO law today passed the senate on a voice vote that required background checks on private face to face sales. It actually sounded like the no's had it but I guess it doesn't matter because apparently they will have a roll coll vote on it.

The one banning conceal carry on a college campus was withdrawn by the author before a vote.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm sorry, but if I was walking across campus and saw someone about to walk into the student center with an AR-15, I'd probably tackle him and call the cops. And probably get arrested... but still, what the fuck? How is that not already outlawed?

khalid

Unelected Mod
I'm sorry, but if I was walking across campus and saw someone about to walk into the student center with an AR-15, I'd probably tackle him and call the cops. And probably get arrested... but still, what the fuck? How is that not already outlawed?
The one banningconceal carryon a college campus was withdrawn by the author before a vote.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He edited that, I think. Or I'm smoking crack, because I could have sworn it said "assault rifles on college campuses."

Borzak

I didn't edit it. However when I went to graduate school I had a gun safe in my office and I carried a rifle across campus of 15,000 3 days a week on average to the university motor pool to check out a truck. No one ever said a word and nobody freaked out and nobody died. It's only a big deal if people make it a big deal. That didn't include the many times myself, other grad/undergrad students, and professors brought long guns in from their personal vehicles to leave in my safe.

Having a supressed 10/22 in your office paid for by the state = priceless.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well the thing about conceal carry, at least in my state, is that it means concealed carry, IE if you want to open carry you better make sure where you plan to take the weapon open carry is allowed.

Borzak

Maybe it's just me, but personally I don't plan on tackling anyone who has a firearm.

Borzak

One bill just passed in CO in the senate and another was shelved till May 10th. I'm not sure which one was which however. I thought it was the magazine capacity bill that passed but apparently not.

Fadaar

That guy
In North Carolina (where I am right now) carrying on any sort of educational grounds is illegal, so any college campus. Which is very unfortunate seeing how I frequent the Raleigh area, especially NC State since the campus is a lot closer than others and they have some damn fine places to eat.

Also not being able to carry on ANY premises where the sale and consumption of alcohol are permitted is horseshit, which means any restaurant/anywhere that sells alcohol/beer is prohibited. I think the local affiliates are trying to get that amended because it's total bullshit, I should be able to carry in Applebee's even when I'm not drinking.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't edit it. However when I went to graduate school I had a gun safe in my office and I carried a rifle across campus of 15,000 3 days a week on average to the university motor pool to check out a truck. No one ever said a word and nobody freaked out and nobody died. It's only a big deal if people make it a big deal. That didn't include the many times myself, other grad/undergrad students, and professors brought long guns in from their personal vehicles to leave in my safe.

Having a supressed 10/22 in your office paid for by the state = priceless.
Yeah, that would freak me out. Especially with the Virginia Tech thing happening not far from here and all the other shootings recently. I can't imagine the purpose of walking around campus with an assault rifle, or scary looking rifle, whatever. That is the first thing that would occur to me. But like I said, I was smoking crack and misread what you wrote.

Borzak

Yeah, that would freak me out. Especially with the Virginia Tech thing happening not far from here and all the other shootings recently. I can't imagine the purpose of walking around campus with an assault rifle, or scary looking rifle, whatever. That is the first thing that would occur to me. But like I said, I was smoking crack and misread what you wrote.
A lot of universities have rifle competition teams on campus. How do they do that in places where it is illegal?

I had a gunsafe and we transported them from my office to university trucks. I had a collection permit from the state and we went out and shot deer from a highrack truck at night 3 times a night for a few months a year. When avian flu made an outbreak the state bought me a supressed 10/22 and I got a collection permit from USFW and shot waterfowl and we tested them for avian flu. Nobody looked twice and I didn't use a gun case most of the time either because the trucks had a built in holder in the rack in the bed.

Flank_sl

shitlord
A lot of universities have rifle competition teams on campus. How do they do that in places where it is illegal?

I had a gunsafe and we transported them from my office to university trucks. I had a collection permit from the state and we went out and shot deer from a highrack truck at night 3 times a night for a few months a year. When avian flu made an outbreak the state bought me a supressed 10/22 and I got a collection permit from USFW and shot waterfowl and we tested them for avian flu. Nobody looked twice and I didn't use a gun case most of the time either because the trucks had a built in holder in the rack in the bed.
I know I am going to be ridiculed for this, but it basically comes down to whether the gun is brown or black and the type of grip that it has. In a place where most people know little about guns, someone with what appears to be hunting weapons would not raise alarm, but make it look like a military weapon and people are going to be worried.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That is true somewhat, but I think any exposed weapon being carried on a campus would cause alarm. If a guy was carrying a gun in a case I don't think I would give it a second thought. GMU has competitive shooting too, and 35k people on campus, but I just think that open carry is inappropriate in that setting. Between Cho andmy wife's statistics teacher who was targetedand god knows how many others, I don't really feel guilty or stupid for being alarmed at that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How is it really any different from carrying else where? I walked into walmart at like 1am last night with a dude open carrying a pistol on his belt plainly visible, no one freaked out.

Gauss_sl

shitlord
A law allowing concealed carry on public college campuses, among other places, just passed in the state house in Georgia. People at my school are freaking the hell out, which I feel is partly due to ignorance. Several faculty members have threatened to not come to work. Somehow, concealed carry automatically means to the average student here that everyone will walk around openly brandishing weapons on campus. I don't even own a gun, but especially in a place like Georgia Tech, which is in a shitty neighborhood, concealed carry could be beneficial given how muggings with guns involved are a weekly occurrence.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Gotta love how fucking stupid people are, as if some how before that people where completely unable to bring a gun onto campus.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Should tell all those faculty members and freaked out students that they should attend a college that is a gun free zone.

Fadaar

That guy
A law allowing concealed carry on public college campuses, among other places, just passed in the state house in Georgia. People at my school are freaking the hell out, which I feel is partly due to ignorance. Several faculty members have threatened to not come to work. Somehow, concealed carry automatically means to the average student here that everyone will walk around openly brandishing weapons on campus. I don't even own a gun, but especially in a place like Georgia Tech, which is in a shitty neighborhood, concealed carry could be beneficial given how muggings with guns involved are a weekly occurrence.
At least here in NC if you have a CCW permit you aren't supposed to open carry, which depending on the state (ie Florida, one of the better gun law states, does not allow open carry at all) is something anyone can do without a permit. Kind of weird but I guess it makes sense.