Gun control

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Here's the video of the woman I mentioned. She was actually co-authoer of a failed new AWB. Not sure if I can embed.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
If only i were rich enough to move to Switzerland, just to escape the gun control pussies whining every time some psycho goes on a spree.
rrr_img_2828.jpg

rrr_img_2828.jpg

rrr_img_2828.jpg

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I think I would feel better if the people writing the laws for gun control, actually knew a thing or two about guns.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If only i were rich enough to move to Switzerland, just to escape the gun control pussies whining every time some psycho goes on a spree.
rrr_img_2828.jpg
Yeah, Switzerland has one of the highest gun death rates in Europe. Mostly from suicides though.

rrr_img_2828.jpg

rrr_img_2828.jpg

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I lived 28 years in Montreal and 2 years in Toronto, and never, ever, knew anybody who owned a gun. They pretty much don't exist in any urban area. Ok, they do exist, and you can get one if you jump through hoops, but people simply don't care to and they aren't laid out buffet style like they are here in Dallas. Where they are prolific in Canada is in the countryside. Any person who lives in the country owns a rifle because of bears. I think you'd find very low handgun to rifle ratio.

Canada is 13th in the world for guns per capita, what the heck are you talking about when you say nobody owns guns in Canada?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Guns are certainly very dangerous tools, but I think these situations are more about education and (mental) health. The cultural, judicial, and educational qualities of many European states are vastly different from ours. It is apples and oranges.

Without guns these situations would still happen, but they would often be far less deadly. If that's enough, then just go for guns, but you're not being honest about preventing these events.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Proud mid westerner here. Fuck all of you. Ban all hand guns and assault rifles.
Assault rifles already require paying a $200 tax stamp and getting the sign off of a local DA, sheriff or other controlling law enforcement entity as laid out in the 1934 National Firearms Act. It also requires that any gun meeting the requirement under the NFA be reported to the ATF if you cross state lines with it etc....

I have a pretty good idea what you actually meant, but going off of what you actually wrote they are already heavily controlled, and not only that are not exactly cheap after the 1986 Hughs amendment banned the production of any new civilian use fully automatic rifles in the US. Which means if you get a sign off and pay the tax stamp to get a fully automatic rifle in the US you are looking at $7,500 and up very quickly. Prior to 1986 they were similar in price to a semi auto version of the same rifle.

Just so we can all talk with the same vocabulary and be on the same page...from wiki

An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons.[1] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44, AK-47,[2] M16 rifle, QBZ-95, INSAS, Heckler & Koch G36, and Enfield SA80.
Lots of confusion comes from the AR-15 which is semi automatic only and thus not an assault rifle. The AR in AR-15 stems from the company who first made it. Armalite - Armalite Rifle.

media-guide-firearms.jpg

media-guide-firearms.jpg

media-guide-firearms.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I lived 28 years in Montreal and 2 years in Toronto, and never, ever, knew anybody who owned a gun. They pretty much don't exist in any urban area. Ok, they do exist, and you can get one if you jump through hoops, but people simply don't care to and they aren't laid out buffet style like they are here in Dallas. Where they are prolific in Canada is in the countryside. Any person who lives in the country owns a rifle because of bears. I think you'd find very low handgun to rifle ratio.
No question there's far less handguns. They're heavily restricted and you need to go through a lot of trouble to get one, as should be the case. Long guns though? You pretty much take a one day course and a test online and you're good to go, even on semi-auto rifles. I wouldn't say I know a lot of people with guns, but at least two of my friends have recently gotten their licenses and one has purchased a rifle (which looked like a AR-15 to me, but probably wasn't). Another friend has always been big in to guns, he used to chop wood with his shotgun when we went camping. Several friends' parents growing up had guns as well.

So yeah, I think you're overstating things somewhat. Canada's guns per capita is amongst the highest of any developed country outside of the US and Switzerland. It's about 1/3 the rate in the US though, and handguns are non-existent.

However I don't disagree with the general premise you were stating: that culturally easy access to virtually all firearms is viewed as a right in most of the US, while in Canada that's not nearly the case. And subsequently the entire debate about gun control in each country is hardly comparable to the other.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_2828.jpg
Sell your shitty guns and get a real fucking job and this could become a reality. Good luck!

rrr_img_2828.jpg

rrr_img_2828.jpg

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Japan just never had a gun culture that evolved from hunting, a national rebellion or perpetual armed conflict (Wild West expansion/Manifest destiny)

I think their laws are a reflection of a low violence society in general, their laws are not the reason for a low violence society.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
"Outlaws" aren't going around shooting up schools. They are shooting each other and its generally over drug dealing and addiction. Cling tightly to your catch phrase though, I'm sure it keeps you cozy.

headspace

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Japs lie about the crime in their country. just saying...

As for banning guns.. in theory it sounds great but the people who choose to kill will just do it another way.
That's an intellectually dishonest, bullshit cop out. The guy in today's shooting was mentally unstable and had access to hand guns his mother had purchased legally. Sure, maybe he would have attempted the same thing with a hatchet or a hunting rifle, but I can promise you... Way less then 20 kindergarten aged kids would be dead.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Or he could of locked the doors and lit the place on fire, tossed a pipe bomb in? 1 person is too many.. It's not bullshit at all. People will devise other ways to kill in as dramatic fashion as possible. Don't be naive.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He also could have decided not to do it if he didn't have easy access to a method to kill.

How fast do you think the school would have gone up in flames? It wasn't a fucking log cabin.