Gwent - Standalone Game

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
What aspects of tavern brawl do you feel they are combining with it? It's just a solo draft mode, with 4 choices instead of 3. That's pretty much the same as all the digital ccgs. Other then getting a pod of people together and passing actual packs, there's not really a good way to implement a draft mode. The magic, pod style, way makes you wait for the pod to fill up. That's horrible for these types of games and the playerbase.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, not sure what Swim was talking about when he made the tavern brawl comment. I will say that I'm pretty tepid to just a basic, anything goes style draft like they showed on stream. Hopefully they consider adding some type of structure to it, seen suggestions such as limited slots for golds/silvers, and showing the 3 leaders we can choose at the start, but still letting us make the choice at the end. Just feel like normal arena mode will get stale quickly due to the mechanics of Gwent, and we've seen how boring max value point slamming can be in last patch Dwarves.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Access to all faction cards seems tavern brawlish to me.

Why does this system have to be used for drafting? Why can't you open X amount of cards and make a deck from that?

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Enzee Enzee I think you've mentioned in other threads that you didn't like the direction the devs were taking this game. I'm not nearly involved enough in Gwent, or really any card game, to assume what you meant, so do you minds elucidating?

I'm looking for some card game, any card game, to fill the time between PoE leagues. Gwent seems like an ok choice even if the draft system is disappointing. Hearthstone is too expensive to casually play. Eternal...idk, Eternal did nothing for me but I have no idea why. The UI and effects feel rough but that feels like the wrong reason.

I am waiting on a MTG: Arena invite, but who knows(if ever) if that will come. Beyond those, not sure what's really out there for digital TCGs.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Sure man. It's a little hard to explain, but when I started playing 2-3 months ago, in almost every game it felt like skill mattered more then anything. If I lost, I could often point to a mistake I made that caused it, or some decision I made that let my opponent outplay me. I thought I had FINALLY found a game that could rival mtg in terms of strategic depth and skill level, and maybe even exceed it as it had no 'mana screw' problems. Over the last few patches, however, that's become less and less true to me. Maybe I've just gotten better at the game and so therefore 'luck' is determining more games (since I make less mistakes overall). But, I've seen similar opinions from other players.

The devs have removed some of the heavy synergy and skill testing cards and so now many cards can be broken down into 'worth between X and Y points'. Even the control options are basically just 'remove X points from opponent'. The order in which you play things matters a bit less and the decision points seem to be narrowing overall.
Sure, there are engine cards (that generate more value over time) but that's still just a simple math calculation (7 pts now, +1 each turn if I don't kill it). I'm not saying there aren't levels of skill or decisions to be made, it's just not as deep as it was.

It was REALLY bad until this most recent patch, as the top deck (dwarves) was pretty brainless to play and play against. Since it was nerfed, the meta is a lot more diverse and some slightly more interactive decks have popped up, but it still isn't as good as it was before. It was a step in the right direction, but only a baby step really.

I, too, am really hoping for a mtg:arena invite. The simple ability to respond to your opponent's plays adds so much strategic depth, that any game without that option is operating at a handicap imo. Eternal technically has it, but in a stripped down way and they added a bunch of other issues that turned me off from it.
Until then, Gwent is still the best option I've found out of Hearthstone, Eternal, Hex and Gwent. Especially if you are looking for free to play. Hex is the most like mtg, but my understanding is the ftp mode is too slow and I'd end up spending a fair amount to play it the way I want. If I'm willing to spend that kind of money on a game, I'd just play mtgo then.

Kanglor

Yep, you pretty much summed up the issue about how card mechanics got removed/simplified. As you said it's definitely better right now than 2 months ago, now that the faction challenge is over I've been running into a good variety of decks today in ranked. The card design problem I think can be addressed when they release the first new set, so I'm willing to ride it out on that front. Two main things that bug me the most right now are Create and carry over. I despise the create mechanic, it just feels awful to have your weather cleared or engine card locked via RNG. It doesn't even feel good to me when I use them and get a high roll, mostly feel bad for my opponent. Carry over is also a problem, especially with Wardancer, possibly the worst card in the game. Not sure what the ideal solution for carry over is, either getting rid of it or just making it much easier for most every deck to have some.

All that said, I still think Gwent is worth playing, especially if you aren't looking to go super hardcore into it. I like the IP, it has the best card art/animation around imo, and CDPR really seem committed to improving the game. Am somewhat nterested to try out Arena, but honestly I mostly haven't cared for the other card games because I'm mostly bored of that style, ie play resources to pay for cards, bash creatures together, etc. At this point I'm more intrigued to see what Valve is doing with Artifact as I think they are likely to do something much different, which is what appeals to me about Gwent.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just an FYI, this game launches(lol, it's still in beta)/relaunches in a week. Based on what I've seen on the PTR, they overhauled a significant portion of the game, both graphically and gameplay. It will essentially be familiar but new. There's also a lengthy single player campaign launching at the same time.

Might be worth checking out as a side game.

Zyke

Anyone else trying out the new homecoming update? I'm still getting into it, but I really like it so far. Tons of changes that I'm enjoying.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought Thronebreaker and played a few hours last night. I am still working on crafting all the cards in Gwent release. I had a full collection and the new platform deleted all my cards and is making me re-craft them. I don't see any "easy button" so it is taking thousands of mouse clicks to do it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why not save your scraps and only craft what you need as you need it? That will make kegs more valuable in the short term.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had somewhere around 700k scraps I think a full collection is only 440 so I should have plenty left over.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't have a full collection but I'm pretty sure I had more than 530 meteorite's worth of animated cards. Did they not refund the meteorite dust on animated cards and only their base value?

Answered my own question. Scraps refunded from premium crafting cost, but not dust. I guess that's why they had a premium gold weekend a little while ago.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Crafted 5 decks so far, liking row stacking monsters the best so far. Judging by my placement in ladder, though, this game might be DOA. Which, of course, is not a bold prediction by any means. I have a measily 1285 MMR and I'm almost in the top 10000. Hopefully most people are off playing Thronebreaker.

I will probably play more of Swim's cancer deck once the meta settles and I get used to the cards/decks too.

Kanglor

Probably played 30-35 games so far and I'm still undecided on how I feel about it, somethings I like and some feel off to me. One thing is there's just not many decks I find fun to play, NR far and away for me is the most interesting with the Orders. I like that Artifacts are good/useful, but feel like they need to be tweaked somehow, maybe requiring a body on the board for their abilities to be used? I dunno, sure CDPR has a good list of changes in the pipeline, so we'll see.

Also, even if tons of people bought Thronebreaker, I doubt Gwent will see a huge surge in population. I think if they just manage to get back most of the folks that bailed from Midwinter patch til now they'd probably be happy, especially when they start turning out new content.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ladder is infested with non-interactive artifact decks. First patch for the game won't come until (late?)December. I have a LOSING record and yet I'm in the top 10k. Game honestly feels DOA. Kinda thinking of checking out MTGA again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ladder is infested with non-interactive artifact decks. First patch for the game won't come until (late?)December. I have a LOSING record and yet I'm in the top 10k. Game honestly feels DOA. Kinda thinking of checking out MTGA again.
I assume a lot of people playing Gwent might also move to Artifact when that releases, or go play MTGA if Artifact sucks too. Not many twitch viewers and not much hype anywhere I look.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This game is deader than this thread, if that's even possible. A fair amount of streamers have already left for Artifact. I understand why, timing wise, but I thought at least a few of them would have gone to other games. Also, if you liked Gwent Beta, Artifact seems like the complete opposite. It's been really hard to find secondary content(streamers, guides, videos, deck trackers, etc) for this game.

The game itself still feels like it's in beta. Devs are talking about making sweeping changes like add armor to artifacts. Like, shouldn't you have this figured out after a couple years of beta? Made my mind up either stick with MTGA, or not play TCGs at all. New Gwent is missing consistency(fewer tutors, mulligans is limited per game instead of per round, no blacklisting), passing as a significant choice, and strong identity. Game is just boring :(

Last edited:

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This just released on Steam. FTP so will probably get a big population bump. Anyone still playing this?

Last edited: