H1Z1 (Not actually an MMO) - Server: Antidote (info in first post)

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Really, Butler spews out drivel about Barb, the dark and others agree? I played a Barb for one of my early toons. If you werent a Shm you asked for a vision cast to get thru the tunnel. Good Gods learn to play the game! One of the first things you learns to do was find that item to help you out if noone was around to cast on you or buddy up with a caster to get you what you needed. MMO? Group playing?....Needing others help?....You must be crazy! rofl.
Besides you generally got someone you help you out for the bind, it was a good time to hit them up for the Serpent Sight or whatever.

Of all the broken shit of EQ, Darkeness (of which not far along wasnt a problem as much and with expansions really not much a problem) the DARKNESS if the biggest or main a key point? Not sure why it was ever focused on to begin with, of wait...because it was a focus ploy to bring up something to talk about since they were going to say much else! Its dark or not, big deal! If there was no mechanic at all to help out, then ya...bitch about it. But there was!!!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It worked better without a train on you though.
It worked when you knew the trick, of course. But if you knew the trick, by the time you went there, you would have had the ability to purchase a light and know you needed one, unless you were absolutely stuck on "well, I hate the Halas starting area, so I roll a level 1 and run to Qeynos instead". In which case, you aren't a new player, and it's all right to have a challenge to overcome.

Those poor souls starting in Surefall Glades didn't even have that option; it was "navigate the tunnel, or reroll".

But, yes. It might be a bit outr?, but the fact that, if you picked the wrong race/class, you could be literally unable to play for half the time with no options until you managed to get some light source was bad design. Specially since a lot of combos didn't had that problem - it's punishing the new player for decisions he literally had no idea would be that bad. It worked when there was literally one game, and no one else had ever done that (and even then, I wonder how many people rolled a human, found them facing "a game that's broken and all black", and uninstalled and never went back).

Today, people have comparison points. If you try to include that kind of night as soon as you launch the game for the first time, you're going to lose half your playerbase, right out of the bat. So it's all nice and dandy to masochistically call for absolute blackness to be there from T=0, but from a business point of view, it's a real bad decision.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
From all these comments it seems the main issue was with zone tunnels in newbie areas and presents a problem that would've been easily solved even in 1999 - place one (1) firepot or torch in the corner. I'm hoping anyone that gets paid to design games realizes that little detail and we get immersive lighting conditions for nighttime hours instead of a blue hue for otherwise daylight conditions. Anyway, dorf master race checking in so it wasnt *my* problem (although I did make and delete a barb first).

To get this back on topic, how soon can we give SOE money to test this product for them?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
This has to be the stupidest discussion, by the worst sort of retard neckbeards, ever seen in the history of the internet. With all the idiotic mechanics, anti social incentives and just plan stupid decisions made by every studio in the past decade+ this forum has decided to focus on fucking lighting.

Instead of talking about how they plan to keep people interested without level and item inflation, or whether they plan to have wow style raiding with intricate mechanics or EQ style raiding with large timesinks and the implications all that has for the social structure of guilds we are stuck for months talking about the one thing literally no one at all gives any sort of fuck about.

The pro EQ lighting guys should just be treated as trolls imo, and if they don't stop just toss them in the RR so we can have some real discussions about what should be a few cool games from SOE.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
This has to be the stupidest discussion, by the worst sort of retard neckbeards, ever seen in the history of the internet. With all the idiotic mechanics, anti social incentives and just plan stupid decisions made by every studio in the past decade+ this forum has decided to focus on fucking lighting.

Instead of talking about how they plan to keep people interested without level and item inflation, or whether they plan to have wow style raiding with intricate mechanics or EQ style raiding with large timesinks and the implications all that has for the social structure of guilds we are stuck for months talking about the one thing literally no one at all gives any sort of fuck about.

The pro EQ lighting guys should just be treated as trolls imo, and if they don't stop just toss them in the RR so we can have some real discussions about what should be a few cool games from SOE.
Psssst. There won't be PVE raiding in this game, you sanctimonious little cock.

Lighting is a major component of this game. If you fail to understand that, make sure you roll on the same server as me, so I can use it to facefuck you and take your stuff.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Have they mentioned if you'll be able to server hop like in DayZ. I'm not a fan of it, but it's pretty much necessary with the current state of alpha DayZ SA.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Psssst. There won't be PVE raiding in this game, you sanctimonious little cock.

Lighting is a major component of this game. If you fail to understand that, make sure you roll on the same server as me, so I can use it to facefuck you and take your stuff.
Lighting in the context you morons discuss it is a retarded fucking discussion because there is literally 0 chance that SOE makes this game pitch black can't see 2 feet in front of you like EQ was, so sure I will roll on the same server as you, because there is no chance you get your way on the lighting being that dark.

Now if you want to have a discussion about lights having a limited radius and distant objects being hard to identify then that's completely different than the morons who constantly bring up Butlers DoS statement because its completely unrelated. And I know raiding isn't in this game, I was refering to the cadre of retards shitting up every SOE thread for the past 6 months with the same discussion about lighting, when Butlers statement is not a major issue in any game, including this one.

Darkfall had a great lighting engine coupled with a great FoF system. The FoF system is more important than lighting to allowing stealth without stealth and setting the mood. In DF there was essentially no FoF system at distance because mouseover targeting didn't work after a certain range and even at close range with no sticky targeting it could be easy to lose someone in the deep shadows of some environments. This was all impacted by choice of armor, with some armors being more reflective and thus harder to hide in, choice of mount, because in snow it was hard for a white cat to catch your eye, but in the jungle you could see one from a long way off. And sound was also a major component, riding up on someone in your jeep should make alot of noise and tip them off well before you are near, in DF you could hear a horse coming up on you from a reasonable distance, and sprinting and heavy gear also made more noise. Most games totally neglect a good directional sound engine. Of course in DF at night in the open it was plenty light enough to play though darker and with deeper shadows than day time.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Barbarians just needed to run backwards down the tunnel to keep the previous torch on the wall in view until you weren't moving anymore, then turn and do the same. Eventually you hit the zone in to BB. It worked better without a train on you though.
That's what most of us ended up doing, but there's no denying that it is completely retarded. People demanding more of that are the stupidest fucks I the world and I'm glad SOE is too smart to listen to that shit

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I cannot believe people are using other MMO's to argue their points. Regardless how you may draw your conclusion and leverage points from other games, it's going to be apples and oranges.

If you haven't played DayZ you have no earthly clue how this game would or should work. Even then, they are taking a step in different direction than DayZ by making this larger scale and deeper into crafting. DayZ is more FPS, which it spawned from, and now possibly in a genre of its own. H1Z1 is taking that new genre and tacking MMO in the front of it. Outside of how the crafting will work, I wouldn't guess or arm-chair develop any aspect of this game. It is new territory and that's probably the best part.

Just a side note to address some of the comments, they very well make the game really dark. Unless you get a little moonlight or light from a nearby source, it's probably going to be pretty dark. That's part of the game. If you dread the days of fire beetle eyes returning, it could very possibly be worse than that... Watch some DayZ videos at some of the night gangs that play. It's pretty crazy.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
They spent 2 hours talking a bit about designing barricades today, where players can board up windows/doors in houses. Then spent the majority of the time going around SOE office interviewing and talking to other H1Z1 devs. It was pretty cool.

Stream is on break now, but they're doing a play test on stream when it starts up again.

New game play video finally discovered:

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
They spent 2 hours talking a bit about designing barricades today, where players can board up windows/doors in houses. Then spent the majority of the time going around SOE office interviewing and talking to other H1Z1 devs. It was pretty cool.

Stream is on break now, but they're doing a play test on stream when it starts up again.

wtb early accesssSssss

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
A guy logs into a game for the first time and he has to spend 45 minutes looking at a black screen, bouncing off walls, and grasping around like a blind person trying to find either a light or a way out and you guys think this is good game design? Wtf.

Let people get started and get to know the game before you start hazing them.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
A guy logs into a game for the first time and he has to spend 45 minutes looking at a black screen, bouncing off walls, and grasping around like a blind person trying to find either a light or a way out and you guys think this is good game design? Wtf.

But isn't this exactly what everyone wants? Some of the best moments, especially those who start up with friends, come from this stuff in these types of game. I'm glad SoE put this part of the game out there first just to let everyone know they're not going easy mode and there's going to be some payoff and satisfaction achieving something as minuscule as a torch.

Secondly, I figured you hard core MMO's guys would love this...? You get that Erudite feeling all over again. Scavenging for a fire beetle eye. Finally killing a willowisp and looting a greater lightstone. Come on guys.... this is going to be pretty awesome. Imaging finally building a compound and seeing newbies fumbling through the woods. Think of the fun you can have at the expense of people or maybe even (heaven for bid) build a community of friends. I'm not expecting the second coming with this game but at least it has some old school elements and casual gaming written all over it.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord

You start with a torch. Finding your 1st light source is as hard as pressing a key on your keyboard. I personally LOVE how dark it is at night. It's fucking CREEPY to hear shit around you, and not know where it is.

kudos

<Banned>

For a game that they say is more about PVP why are they showing so much zombie footage? Didn't Butler say that zombies will just be a nuisance and the real content is the players interacting with each other? I'd think they would want to show a video of players trying to invade an encampment or something with some zombie footage here and there.