Hades (Supergiant Games)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I made it to Theseus and the Minotaur tonight. Almost got them, but I died right at the end. Using dash correctly is critical in this game, and the more I use boons to upgrade dash, the better my runs have become. I still think I like the fists the most, especially after using the titan blood to upgrade them. I'm also liking the sword more now that it's upgraded as well. I want to try and upgrade the bow next, as I think the game would be even easier with a ranged item. The canon is okay, I just wish it had better distance on it, and that you could reload the damn thing before it hits zero (that is really annoying).

on a controller you can reload at any time by pressing R3. if you're on a keyboard, i'm sure there's a way to do it as well. when you pick up any of the weapons, there's a little attack tutorial thing. all the different things you can do with a weapon show up, including reload so just check that when you grab it

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Default reload is the R key on PC. I mean come on now... it literally says Reload in the keybinds!!!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Okay, I didn't know about the R3 for reloading. I'm playing this on my Switch, not my PC. That'll make me want to try a few runs with the gun again.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is a hammer upgrade on the gun that makes the attack a three shot burst and infinite ammo as well. Bow and the gun are quickly become really OP to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As someone who has only watched some twitch players on this game, how much of the upgrades and boosts are persistent versus temporary boons for the current run through?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
As someone who has only watched some twitch players on this game, how much of the upgrades and boosts are persistent versus temporary boons for the current run through?

There are like 20 abilities in the mirror you can upgrade multiple times.

There are at least 3 (a locked 4th slot, idk how to unlock it) abilities on each of the 6 weapons that can be upgraded multiple times.

There’s a bunch of dungeon upgrades, not sure how many.

There’s a ton of trinkets that can all be upgraded twice.

There’s also the NPCs that you can “upgrade” to unlock shit. Also gaining all the boons and shit unlock things over time too.

So overall there’s quite a bit to unlock permanently. That’s why I mentioned to just keep playing if you feel like you suck at the beginning, you get better and better by quite a bit as the game progresses.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There's also the companions which you can use 3 (I think) times in each run for specials. Some of them make boss fights much faster/easier.

But yea, that's the point of Roguelikes and Rogue-lites. The more you play the stronger you become via unlocks. You're not supposed to be able to beat it for a while. You just slowly get farther and farther as Zagreus gets stronger via unlocks.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
There is a hammer upgrade on the gun that makes the attack a three shot burst and infinite ammo as well. Bow and the gun are quickly become really OP to me.

Is a hammer upgrade that makes the Cannon Special a Rocket Launcher. Its SO OP and got me to Hades the one time i have been,.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The rail gun is now my favorite weapon in the game. When you upgrade it with some titan blood, and unlock the rapid fire, no reload, and the rocket launcher, I melted my way to Hades with barely getting hit, save for the boss fights.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Bought this, the $10 coupon I got just for downloading yet another free Epic launcher game made it even cheaper. Money well spent!

Can tell you're supposed to die a lot. I sucked at the first boss, and man they had funny dialogue for all 5 of my deaths lol (I was tired don't judge). Can tell I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this one. Art is gorgeous, gameplay quality matches.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
"Finished" the game. Got credits. Then... game just keeps going. Tons of unlocks still to get, dialogue with npcs is still new (after 40+ hours), still getting new prophecies.

The amount of content in this game, with the superb voice acting, music, fluidity of combat, it could be priced at double of what it is and I wouldn't have thought any less of it. It's an AAA tier game, not just in its category rouge-like, but across all categories. There are titles from AAA studios with less content, style and quality that cost 3x this game.

• 8Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Went Bow, and got Flurry Shot right off the bat. Then got multiple upgrades and Poseidon's knockback. Was doing 94 damage per normal attack show, and let me easily get to Level 3. Then got owned. Lol

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Reached Hades a couple of times, but it seems like my boons are either lacking enough offense or defense and i can't finish him before i run out of lives.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I beat it on run 15 using shield with hangover damage and +4 bounce. Shield special can offscreen things, you don't have to stand still to charge anything, and hangover makes up for the otherwise terrible damage.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
67 runs deep, no win

wonder if there is special lore for 100

probably

just derping about, still great fun

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
1601465458484.png

feels gud

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve got something like 30 runs and haven’t beat him yet, have come close many times.

I played a lot in early acces though and I feel more powerful now than I did then. I took a break of months waiting for EA to end and my first run I got Hades to under 50%. So, should be able to beat him with a lucky boon run.

• 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i haven't played a TON... got a kidney stone last week and it's KILLING me. i've been pretty drugged up so i haven't been making much progress... after a good dozen times on meg, i finally beat her and then steamrolled everything right up until theseus and those two have humbled me.

• 1Solidarity

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
i haven't played a TON... got a kidney stone last week and it's KILLING me. i've been pretty drugged up so i haven't been making much progress... after a good dozen times on meg, i finally beat her and then steamrolled everything right up until theseus and those two have humbled me.

Ouch. Wish you the best.

Once you get a few unlocks of permanent boosts (HP to 100 and an extra life or two) the first two levels are basically the "what build will I get?" levels. Once you hit level 3, the armoured mobs (especially the armoured chariots) quickly determine how good that build is. If you have trouble with them, or can't kill/dodge the mini exploding chariots quick enough, you'll most likely have trouble with the main boss of the third level, but odds are that failing the last level boss is a guarantee. Last boss is very tuned to destroying you based on having "errors" in the build. As in, you can have a massive damage, but slow special that will carry you through all levels, think you are OP, but then find out that it does next to nothing on the boss because of movement and DPS output from boss.

Spoiler for last level
No matter what build I get though, I pretty much always take (if I see the option) the dash causes knockback and does damage, + extra damage on push into walls + splash damage of crashing enemies into walls. Main reason for those is that those three alone will full clear in seconds the final level stages before main boss no matter what the rest of your build is or what weapon you use. The poison and armoured large rats can easily eat up all your health and extra lives before boss. With the small rooms in level 4, the above skills will kill enemies in all small rooms before they do any damage and even the large rooms will go down quickly. If you have those skills, you'll hope to not find the bag for Cerberus until the last room instead of early since you'll want to do all the rooms for the loot.

If you want to "cheese" Hades so to speak, no matter build, there are two ways I found tied to same strategy. Festive fog cast + zeus skill that casts lightning in the fog, or Zeus skill that casts lightning down around the cast gems after they dislodge from the enemy. Both those skills lets you just run around the map avoiding everything, keeping far away from Hades while the lightning that shoots down slowly chips away at Hades. Takes a while, but with those you can do Hades without taking much damage at all. All you do is dodge and cast. You can get combo skills that make the lightning even more powerful, but even the base level 1 version of above skills can kill Hades.