Hades (Supergiant Games)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Or maybe we just want a company making a game about greek gods who were sexy and white to stop making them brown, fat, and ugly /shrug
Meanwhile everyone in this thread is like "yeah, but I'll still play it."

You all keep giving your money to companies pushing stuff you say you hate, and you keep getting more of it. It's a real mystery what's happening here.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Found any good combos to aim for? The Axe is nice for the big damage but it is kinda slow. The Daggers felt too short range for me. Have not unlocked the 4th weapon yet so not sure how good that one is.
Not yet haven't played all that much so far I just like the added magical modes to each attack and the staff is really nice with being able to do full screen attacks. Daggers are usually my favorite thing in any game as I default to assassin style gameplay so I'll try to make them work my next playthroughs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not yet haven't played all that much so far I just like the added magical modes to each attack and the staff is really nice with being able to do full screen attacks. Daggers are usually my favorite thing in any game as I default to assassin style gameplay so I'll try to make them work my next playthroughs.
Using the Ice attack seems to help to CC stuff quite a lot. Got to the second boss again but died at 30% or so. The boss fights are a lot harder in this one. The Fates and Minotaur etc in Hades were really easy compared to the ones in this game. More HP and more mechanics for sure.

The 4th Caster Weapon felt like pure trash btw. Unless I missed on how the hell it works.

Staff feels the best early on and the Daggers are probably great once you upgrade range on them.

Last edited:

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Watching a couple hours of gameplay, looks good. Definitely more of the same but I enjoyed the first one so will play this when it makes it's way to Gamepass. That fat bitch for sure has vitiligo though, which is hilariously cringe.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Using the Ice attack seems to help to CC stuff quite a lot. Got to the second boss again but died at 30% or so. The boss fights are a lot harder in this one. The Fates and Minotaur etc in Hades were really easy compared to the ones in this game. More HP and more mechanics for sure.

The 4th Caster Weapon felt like pure trash btw. Unless I missed on how the hell it works.

Staff feels the best early on and the Daggers are probably great once you upgrade range on them.
So I've played around with daggers a bit and they're pretty decent. You need to build around right clicks and the only annoying part is that for difficult enemies you mostly have to spam right click to poke away from long range. I had a pretty cool build where they would bounce to up to 2 enemies and maxing right click sends 5 daggers so I'd basically clear the entire stage instantly in most cases.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Was gonna say: in all the random vitiligo pushing you see, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a white person with it.
It's because it's the melanin in your skin being attacked by your immune system, erasing the pigmentation. Obviously that makes it super obvious on nogs and it stands out like a sore thumb. Not so much with whites.

Usually only whites who have a tan or otherwise more "olive" skin does it stand out. Joe Rogan has it, for instance.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The weaponized pom-poms are indeed trash. I mostly use the staff but have had luck with the daggers as well. I actually made it all the way to the boss of zone 3 on a really fortuitous combo of abilities before I realized I could level up the 'card' points. Since then I've had trouble with the second boss fight, however. Not the least of which being that the song is damn catchy lol

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Faggotry

Aazrael

I feel the Axe is my pick most of the time but I think I rush too much and make stupid mistakes. I need to take more time and not just attack spamming, I need to Git Gud pretty much.

I see lots of Whirlwind runs with Axe popping up so might try that for a bit.

The second boss is funny and I think one just need to learn the fight. It's not super hard but annoying to fight 3 guys at the same time.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I got all the way to Chronus and got him down to about a third health. Used the staff with Special buffed to the gills with lightning / chain lightning buffs / Moon heal.

• 1Like

Cybsled

So I've played around with daggers a bit and they're pretty decent

If you can get the Hestia boons that apply scorch stacks on weapon attacks, the daggers get pretty insane due to their fast attack rate since you apply a shitload of scorch stacks very quickly

• 2Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
If you can get the Hestia boons that apply scorch stacks on weapon attacks, the daggers get pretty insane due to their fast attack rate since you apply a shitload of scorch stacks very quickly
Ya that seems legit. Freeze also super good. The daggers seem to be real good at the regular stages but pretty bad on bosses due to the poor range.

Aazrael

Axe with Aphrodite Attack and Whirlwind speed charge upgrade carried me to Chronos, died at 10% in phase one.

The 3rd boss felt easy enough.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The upper path is accessed via a ritual. I unlocked it after I got to Chronus but I don't know if that was the condition that resulted in me gaining the ritual or not. I have not beaten him yet.

There are all sorts of new things that open up when you get to the upper path.

• 1Faggotry

Aazrael

The upper path is accessed via a ritual. I unlocked it after I got to Chronus but I don't know if that was the condition that resulted in me gaining the ritual or not. I have not beaten him yet.

There are all sorts of new things that open up when you get to the upper path.
Yeah I finally got it unlocked. Just need to find some stuff from Chaos gates to make me be able to live on the surface.

Also unlocked the 5th weapon and aspects today. The 5th weapon was wierd, 3 skulls you throw and need to retrieve.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

You all keep giving your money to companies pushing stuff you say you hate, and you keep getting more of it. It's a real mystery what's happening here.
Not me. This one wasn't nearly as hard to say no to as the Hochland long rifles tho.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>

Supergiant didn't "get" woke, though, they have always been Left-Coast California San Francisco forever. "That tiger didn't go crazy" as the comedian said, "that tiger went tiger."

If making one character dark skinned is the extent of the politics in this game, I would say fuck it and just move on FOR THIS COMPANY. They have always done this kind of stuff, and will always do this kind of stuff. This isn't Bethesda all of sudden turning up with trans/trans coded/gay marriage/ugly female characters/all the other hallmarks of "modern audience" AAA bullshit.

Now, if there a bunch of it, or more serious trans/woke/all kinds of other stuff I don't know about haven't seen, then you are right, Gravel. Even if I am not good at it, won't get far, etc I will buy this at release to support Supergiant because they make/have in the past made such great games, with such great music and characters and story narrative that I want to make sure that they continue to make more. It's your favorite music artist who you know probably has diametrically opposed political views but doesn't put that in his work except for a word or two in a one song. You still buy the album. Man I want them to make another Bastion or Transistor but I am glad people love Hades.

• 2Like

Aazrael

I have not noticed any more "woke" stuff than what is in the first one. The gods are all random races like in the first.

Unlocked alot of shit and still cant beat Chronos. The Hades boss fights in the first game was real easy in comparison.

I get to him in most of my runs but I die pretty fast, I think I play too greedy as he does a lot of damage.

Will start doing Surface runs instead while I git gud.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
To pitch my opinion in to the hat, a lot of the "woke" stuff push back I see is because including this stuff seems to always come at the expense of overall quality. As if more emphasis is making sure a game is inclusive and checks all the right boxes is a priority over the gameplay and other aspects. And that extends to Television and Movies as well. I've never given a shit about who or what a protagonist is, gender, color, species. My concern was first and foremost "is the game fun?" Or is the movie good, you know.

So anyways, it is easy to see these as early warning signs, or should be easy to see why people identify them with early warning signs. Whether true or not (I tend to believe it is true). The product is suffering at the expense of the message (that may be phrased incorrectly).

Supergiant's track record though has historically not shown this to be the case. Bastion was amazing, I really liked Transistor, Pyre I wasn't so big on and but that was mostly b/c the "game" part of the game didn't click, and Hades was likewise amazing. They get the benefit of the doubt.

As I understand it Greg Kasavin, Darren Korb, Jen Zee, and Amir Rao have worked on all 4 games. Not sure who was added for Hades 2 or if someone they brought in provided heavier influence.

It is the same thing as BioWare or whoever you want to blame for progressively (zing) shitting up Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and whatever else. They no longer get a pass. Someone else I'm thinking of that recently could do no wrong and took a huge dump, but can't remember. But again, whatever your reason, ideological or otherwise, a good game is a good game.

Really want to play this but will wait until EA is over. Probably won't run well on my work laptop anyways. These days I never even get to my gaming machine.

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
To pitch my opinion in to the hat, a lot of the "woke" stuff push back I see is because including this stuff seems to always come at the expense of overall quality. As if more emphasis is making sure a game is inclusive and checks all the right boxes is a priority over the gameplay and other aspects. And that extends to Television and Movies as well. I've never given a shit about who or what a protagonist is, gender, color, species. My concern was first and foremost "is the game fun?" Or is the movie good, you know.

So anyways, it is easy to see these as early warning signs, or should be easy to see why people identify them with early warning signs. Whether true or not (I tend to believe it is true). The product is suffering at the expense of the message (that may be phrased incorrectly).

Supergiant's track record though has historically not shown this to be the case. Bastion was amazing, I really liked Transistor, Pyre I wasn't so big on and but that was mostly b/c the "game" part of the game didn't click, and Hades was likewise amazing. They get the benefit of the doubt.

As I understand it Greg Kasavin, Darren Korb, Jen Zee, and Amir Rao have worked on all 4 games. Not sure who was added for Hades 2 or if someone they brought in provided heavier influence.

It is the same thing as BioWare or whoever you want to blame for progressively (zing) shitting up Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and whatever else. They no longer get a pass. Someone else I'm thinking of that recently could do no wrong and took a huge dump, but can't remember. But again, whatever your reason, ideological or otherwise, a good game is a good game.

Really want to play this but will wait until EA is over. Probably won't run well on my work laptop anyways. These days I never even get to my gaming machine.
I didn't play much Pyre, either; it was the first time the game itself wasn't much fun comparatively. I thought the narrative and music were well done but the moment to moment gameplay just didn't land for me. I played a lot of Hades but I just don't/haven't ever figured out the healing/not getting hit/sustain/get gud. I don't like roguelikes in general, tbh. Once again, though, I am glad everyone else loves it.

Great take.