Halo

Cybsled

Ya, they even have a quick shot where you see the wormy hunter leg in Cov armor on the ship before she gets into the pod

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed episode 3, again lots of exposition but it’s interesting. The production value are quite high helping the feel of the show.

I‘m curious to see how the relashionship between John and Cortana will evolve, remember I’m not super familiar with the Halo franchise. Right now she feels like a spy working for the doctor that can take over John at any time, I’m guessing that will change and she and John will be a team.

I agree with the Asian girl story, it’s boring but I think her going to Madrigal and the Blessed One going there also will be how they will bring John and the Blessed One together, he’s going to go there to save her or something.

I didn’t expect the scene with the blessed one getting on the ship to turn out that way. It was pretty cool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
This show is not big on shades of grey.

There's cartoonish evil and then there's 'We are under alien attack? Quick, time to relentlessly tase some underage mine slaves while we still can'

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This show is not big on shades of grey.

There's cartoonish evil and then there's 'We are under alien attack? Quick, time to relentlessly tase some underage mine slaves while we still can'
Im not 100% sure, but I just assumed it was a Covenant owned planet since no one seemed to give a fk that they were there except the.. I assume.. slaves.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone watching this dogshit? Just fastforwarded through EP4 in ~5min, and it was almost all talk talk talk. Don't think I've seen a single shot fired.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone watching this dogshit? Just fastforwarded through EP4 in ~5min, and it was almost all talk talk talk. Don't think I've seen a single shot fired.
this is definitely an odd show to identify. there was a small firefight but it wasn't much to talk about... other than a destiny easter egg in the form of one of the best hand cannons in the game, The Last Word.
destiny-2-last-word.jpg

soren uses it, though it's a slight variation.

but yes, it's hard to classify this show because it's based on an action game but there's very little action in the show. part of that may have to do with budget, i don't know. but on the other hand, halo has an EXTREMELY deep well of lore so it may just be artistic license to focus on the sci-fi. there's plenty of great sci-fi that never fires a single shot, either...

i spent the first couple episodes just being really confused why this has such a different feel from the games (never read any of the books), but as soon as i started watching this as basically it's own, separate IP then it's not bad. it's slow-paced, which isn't bad in and of itself, it's just jarring from what it feels like it should have been. there are a couple of actors that i just really don't like but other than that it's fairly well acted, so i once i stopped expecting action packed set pieces, that stopped bothering me.

that being said, it's definitely got a LOT of room for improvement. i don't mind master chief taking off his helmet, he took his helmet off plenty of times in the games and books i guess. people in the halo universe have always known what john looks like. they hide his face from us, the audience, because he's supposed to be a self-insert for the player. if i remember correctly, he only had a couple lines in the first game or two, as well. but you don't have self-inserts for the viewer in movies and tv so there's no reason to hide his face. however, i do wish he kept his helmet on more when it made sense. like, in this episode he's all suited up but still has his helmet off for almost the entire episode. either wear the full armor, or none of it.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont hate it but it is damn slow moving. For a show based off a shooting video game, there has been no action since episode 1. The CGI for Cortana is pretty terrible.

Did I miss something or did that chick dye her hair using her blood?

spronk

FPS noob
I think its just dye, there is no way blood would stay pink like that after a few hours. Plus it would wash right out.

I'm really enjoying the show, yeah its super slow moving but its more leaning on the sci fi world building than the action/adventure. Which I don't mind at all. I prefer the slow character arcs and buildup, compare this week to Moon Knight which had a TON of action and frantic pacing but was just near dumpster fire in story and characters. I like Halo much better than Moon Knight, so far, which is something I would never have guessed I'd say.

Lotta speculation that the plague that hit Eradinus was The Flood but that seems unlikely given there are no traces left. Really curious where they are taking the story. I assume season 1 ends with the Fall of Reach, but then to not even show Halo is kinda weird? Or maybe fall of Reach happens in the next 2-3 episodes and Halo is the finale. I'm guessing flood isn't even a thing for season 1, wonder if they will bring in the things like Guilty Spark.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

If I had to guess, the B plot shit on Madrigal will lead to that Covenant woman finding the kid

Fadaar

That guy
Lotta speculation that the plague that hit Eradinus was The Flood but that seems unlikely given there are no traces left.

while the CGI for the hunter worms was pretty good i dont know if i want the flood to be a consistent presence. hell treat them like the reapers in Mass Effect as this ever present ghost in the darkness waiting to strike and focus more on the human/covenant conflict. you dont even see the flood until pretty late (been a long ass time since i played it so cut me some slack if im wrong) in the original game, and this show is pre fall of Reach so still a while til they're seen if they vaguely follow the story.

• 1Like

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I dont hate it but it is damn slow moving. For a show based off a shooting video game, there has been no action since episode 1. The CGI for Cortana is pretty terrible.

Did I miss something or did that chick dye her hair using her blood?
She used the grease from her gun cleaning kit to dye her hair.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
She used the grease from her gun cleaning kit to dye her hair.
Ya, Im worried about the direction they could possibly take the female Spartan thats now in touch with her feelings. As soon as she had emotions, the first thing she did was dye her hair. The first thing Pablo did was go out and experience the world. I thought I'd be afraid of the dying at my age, not some Hollywood types injecting an agenda into anything I find remotely enjoyable.

j00t

Ya, Im worried about the direction they could possibly take the female Spartan thats now in touch with her feelings. As soon as she had emotions, the first thing she did was dye her hair. The first thing Pablo did was go out and experience the world. I thought I'd be afraid of the dying at my age, not some Hollywood types injecting an agenda into anything I find remotely enjoyable.
Well, they also removed the chip for different reasons. Chief removed it after Soren told him how much he was missing, ie, food tasting better, family having a completely different meaning, etc.

Kai took the chip out because she wanted to follow master chief's example, which to her probably seems like an act of rebellion against the unsc.

Fadaar

That guy
Well, they also removed the chip for different reasons. Chief removed it after Soren told him how much he was missing, ie, food tasting better, family having a completely different meaning, etc.

Kai took the chip out because she wanted to follow master chief's example, which to her probably seems like an act of rebellion against the unsc.

bout a 100% chance she dies at some point in the near future now. sigh.

• 1Like

j00t

yeah, that's definitely possible... though, i feel like silver team is supposed to be a 1 to 1 of blue team, with kai being kelly. for those who don't know, kelly is chief's closest friend, to the point that they would be a couple if the spartan training didn't basically completely eliminate their sex drive. the show introduces that as a literal inhibitor chip, so now that they've removed it, i wonder if they'll explore that idea a little?

• 1Like

Cybsled

Kelly was the sniper, right? I remember in the Fall of Reach novel she was one of the few Spartans to survive, although she got massively fucked up and basically had to be put into stasis

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kelly was the sniper, right? I remember in the Fall of Reach novel she was one of the few Spartans to survive, although she got massively fucked up and basically had to be put into stasis
kelly is the scout
she's faster that fast

linda is the sniper

and fred is just there as a number 2

• 1Like

j00t

yeah, kelly is apparently the fastest human to ever have existed. even pre-spartan augments she was extremely quick, but spartan armor and augments turned her into sonic. because of that she preferred close range weapons. her normal loadout was dual magnums and a shotgun.

i think linda was the one who was injured badly after reach? there's a scene from one of the books where linda is injured real badly and there's a pretty touching moment between her and chief. a lot of people inferred that it meant that they had a thing going on, but it was more about showing chief's own guilt from not being able to protect his family (spartan II's generally, blue team specifically).

i'm not going back to confirm this, but in the first episode, one of the girls is shown to be dual wielding magnums while the other is the team's sniper. i am PRETTY sure that kai is using the magnums while riz is the sniper, which matches blue team. but again, i'm not going back to confirm that.

as for fred, everyone (including chief) says that fred is the best spartan, or at least is better than chief, it's just that chief is luckier. vannak and fred don't quite match though, since vannak is a heavy weapons guy while fred is a generalist like chief, but they may also serve a similar role. vannak could also be closer to sam, who i know next to nothing about, just that chief, sam and kelly were a fireteam since bootcamp, until sam died. i want to say vannak mentioned something about the 4 of them being a fireteam since bootcamp, but i could also be wrong about that.

or, you know this could all be a complete nothing. the writers have said they were inspired by the game and novels but are doing their own thing, so silver team may not be inspired by blue team at all.

j00t

kelly is the scout
she's faster that fast

linda is the sniper

and fred is just there as a number 2
the cutscene you linked where they crash into the ship and then just stand there unphased while the elites charge them and then get sucked out the window is great. i wish the show would take notes and do stuff like that. i don't need them flying through space, but the 4 of them landing and then not firing a single shot because they know they don't need to is perfect.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i think linda was the one who was injured badly after reach? there's a scene from one of the books where linda is injured real badly and there's a pretty touching moment between her and chief. a lot of people inferred that it meant that they had a thing going on, but it was more about showing chief's own guilt from not being able to protect his family (spartan II's generally, blue team specifically).
that was still kelly that was injured, kelly and sam are the most closest to chief cuz of the original team 3 and also evident by using samual as the weapon arming code in infinite