Halt and Catch Fire

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I had to pause the show a couple times and double-check that I hadn't missed an episode or two, the jump definitely threw me off. As much as I claim that I watch the show for the tech industry stuff, and not for the sappy personal relationship stuff, I don't like seeing Gordon and Donna divorced. That sucks.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Funny, i came here to say this show seems ti be getting better and better. Joe screwing over the board and helping gordon at same time is gonna be great. Then, gordo will help joe build teh internetz we all know and love.

The creators of the show took over as showrunners this season.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That jump was very unexpected.. felt like the jump you get between seasons, not in between episodes.

Donna's phone call at the end leads me to believe she's not going to actually drop her idea. Next season, IE (donna) and Netscape (gordo/joe/cam)? Netscape was open source right? I can't remember if Mozilla and Netscape were originally the same company or not.

And yes, Donna and Gordon had 2 kids, they mention the other one but I think she's older and away at college or something. The one being an angsty teenager was the youngest one, I think.

Ya other kid was at spacecamp.

Really can't wait till the next season it's gonna be great, and it's definitely gonna be Donna vs the dream team. Kinda having a feeling Tom may end up working on Donna's side?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I could see that. Cam and him breakup because she fucks Joe some more, or he finds out about the previous time.. Tom ends up working with Donna on her browser, maybe she ends up working with Microsoft and he knows them due to a game of some sort..

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I dont think Microsoft would really be a player yet in the timeline of the show. We just skipped forward to late 1990 (Comdex is always in Nov)

The first version of IE didn't hit the market until 1995

Mosaic(first popular browser that integrated pictures) hit the market in 93, and Netspcape Navigator was 1994.

So they are definitely very early to this whole concept, as Gordon keeps stating

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Gordon's daughter is a piece of shit.

They are going to pair her up with Cameron. Cameron is going to mentor her and be all like "i was just like you when i was younger, i still kinda am, lol!"

You guys made me realize I hate Cameron.

This is one of those shows I'll watch every week, but fast forward through shitty monologues or when certain actors are on screen.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I dont think Microsoft would really be a player yet in the timeline of the show. We just skipped forward to late 1990 (Comdex is always in Nov)

The first version of IE didn't hit the market until 1995

Mosaic(first popular browser that integrated pictures) hit the market in 93, and Netspcape Navigator was 1994.

So they are definitely very early to this whole concept, as Gordon keeps stating
They made a point of lingering on a screen of windows 3.1 in one of the shots, which seems like potential foreshadowing that microsoft will be involved somehow. It may have been to establish the time change as well, but they managed that in other ways.

I could see another time jump between the seasons, or during the season. The browsers may not have been released till then, but they could have been working on them for 3-5 years before then. So, maybe they start working on the idea, it gets delayed, then later picked up by netscape and eventually becomes navigator and the entire season spans a couple years of time.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
094ubPU.jpg

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
First three episodes of the season are done and I think that they have been pretty engrossing.

This has been one of my favorite shows on TV for the last 5 years more for the look into the tech business/startup aspect. I like the characters but it truly is the business intrigue that keeps me coming back for more.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
yea, I was sad to see this end, especially after how it ended. That was a great and very emotional ending. I would have liked to hear what Donna's new idea was, my first thought was something like paypal? Idk. Think they left it totally vague on purpose, but those two making something like ultima online or everquest would have been perfect. Cam's gaming talents and Donna's idea for Community combined to make the first MMO seems like a natural evolution.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure that’s what they were getting at (MMOs) with talking up how Cameron is better at world building, and she needs to think bigger.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I think that's what that other girl, the investor lady, would have pushed her towards if they didn't have a falling out. But, donna having the epiphany when she goes to pay for the tab at the diner is what made me think it might be something financial, like paypal. Don't see how the diner would lead to the MMO idea.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It showed her looking at the jukebox and the cash register in the time slowdown when she has the idea; my thinking is that she had stumbled onto 'internet connected everything.'

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Finally finished this. I thought the final season was great. Liked how they ended it. Definitely brought back some memories getting on the internet for the first time.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Great show.

As for the ending. What's important is not WHAT the idea is, rather, just that there IS an idea worth pursuing. That's essentially what drives engineering and business, and brings people to work together toward a common goal.

One of the best sendoffs in recent history.now I just have to hope for a blu ray release.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user