Hawaii

Ethan_sl

shitlord
Oahu is one of the famous islands of Hawaii. It is also called the heart of Hawaii. Two mountains range make up this island. I must visit that place once in my life.

lindz

#DDs
We'll be going to Big Island in just a couple weeks, staying in a house in Pahoa area. We've got a list of things to see, but mainly looking for time alone and relaxation. Any recommendations of things do, restaurants to check out or places to see is super helpful though.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
We'll be going to Big Island in just a couple weeks, staying in a house in Pahoa area. We've got a list of things to see, but mainly looking for time alone and relaxation. Any recommendations of things do, restaurants to check out or places to see is super helpful though.
The best thing to do on Big Island is rent a car and drive. You'll find tons of virtually private gems driving around. Miles of coastline without anyone on them, nearly deserted hiking trails to waterfalls, etc. Just bring gear for both hiking and the beach and you'll be fine.

As far as restaurants go: basically anything in Hilo or Kona will be fine, there's no trick to it. The "best" restaurants tend to be onsite at the resorts. The Hilton Waikoloa has a couple of great restaurants with west-facing views for sunsets.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I have been offered a 6 figure job on Oahu. It's government work at Camp Smith.

I know fuck all about Hawaii, other than the fact it's expensive as fuck. (600k+ median house prices and staggering utility costs)

What's the low down on actually making a living there? Pros for me is that I love the outdoors (hiking, camping, watersports, etc)

So, I have been offered a 6 figure job on Oahu. It's government work at Camp Smith.

I know fuck all about Hawaii, other than the fact it's expensive as fuck. (600k+ median house prices and staggering utility costs)

What's the low down on actually making a living there? Pros for me is that I love the outdoors (hiking, camping, watersports, etc)
Replied to your PM check your inbox.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'making a living' Increasing your net income? In that case it doesn't matter how much you make and always comes down to living within your means. The culture of living on the island? After the honeymoon phase a lot of people get 'Island Fever' and feel trapped. Once you have an hawaiian ID you can ask around for 'kamaaina' specials. You can get discounted flights between the islands, hotel stays etc. Being close to Japan there is a lot of Japanese influence, especially the food. If you like spam musabi you will do great! There are some Japanese chain restaurants there that you don't find on the mainland. Kids t here were into pokemon a lot earlier than the mainland us.

I also hope you get a nice moving expense budget to work with, unless you have little in possessions you care about moving over there. At least 10k single 25k for family is what I'd be looking for with that salary.

The last time I went there was for 3 weeks or so to visit family and I didn't even go in the water once =p Did a good amount of hiking though. Just don't go wandering far out on long umarked trails unless you want to get shot though
smile.png

Some remote areas are so laid back I saw a guy buying weed right in front of the police station after taking out a large amount of money from the bank across the street in the middle of the day =p

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got some nice info in PMs too. Thanks all.

It's tough, the big issue for me is the housing costs. What makes no sense to me is that median house is something like $650k, yet the median professional salary is somewhere in the $60-$80k region. How the hell does anyone afford the housing? What bank is going to loan to someone with the typical 28/36 rule? The numbers simply don't add up.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Got some nice info in PMs too. Thanks all.

It's tough, the big issue for me is the housing costs. What makes no sense to me is that median house is something like $650k, yet the median professional salary is somewhere in the $60-$80k region. How the hell does anyone afford the housing? What bank is going to loan to someone with the typical 28/36 rule? The numbers simply don't add up.
Most people just don't buy houses.