HDTVs

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Can't decide between the 50 inch Neo QLED:

Or the 48 inch OLED:

To wall mount in my game room for my new PS5 that's coming in July.
I have an LG OLED and it is spectacular.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is annoying as fuck and has happened to me in the past, did you figure anything out how to stop it?

Denamian Denamian

Yeah my C1 OLED did the same thing at first with turning on alongside things it was paired with. I don't remember how I fixed it on Switch (maybe it just didn't do it with Switch), but for PS5 I went into the PS5 settings and disabled "HDMI Device Link" IIRC. I think it's in the same folder as Enable HDCP.

My wife wants a TV for our bedroom... now that we have our LG OLED downstairs I don't think I could ever get anything else. Unfortunately she thinks 48" is too big of a size (I don't think they make anything smaller) but still trying to convince her otherwise.

Is there anything else comparable that is smaller?

Just wall-mount the 48'', it'll seem smaller and be less intrusive on the space. Don't down-grade, you'll regret the purchase.

Using built in TV apps... *cringe*

Dont get me wrong its nice they have them, but if you buy an OLED you should be able to grab a ShieldTV or AppleTV 4k! - I like my AppleTv but i also have the newer shield with its built in AI enhancing which is quite nice.

Yeah, I never use built-in TV apps. You can use a Roku stick, or even something like a PS4/PS5 for your apps.

Whenever my LG OLED dies in the den I plan on buying the biggest non-LG tv I can find with the best picture. Fucking absurd that these retards at LG still don't have HBO Max app, and any tv older than 3 years can't get peacock. It annoys me enough to just boycott those assholes going forward, especially now that Sony is making world class OLED's.

Sony is making world-class OLEDs...with LG's panels

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Whenever my LG OLED dies in the den I plan on buying the biggest non-LG tv I can find with the best picture. Fucking absurd that these retards at LG still don't have HBO Max app, and any tv older than 3 years can't get peacock. It annoys me enough to just boycott those assholes going forward, especially now that Sony is making world class OLED's.
Buy a Shield TV and disconnect your Smart TV from the internet. Android TV is just so much better than built in smart apps. Only exception are the Sony TVs that already have Android TV built in, or the ones that have Roku built-in are decent too. The LG and Samsung native apps are shit.

• 2Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not being facetious here at all, just curious - what makes the plug-in superior? Image quality? Sound? I hate having yet another dongle hanging off the back of the tv, but happy to spend the $ if it's a better experience.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Not being facetious here at all, just curious - what makes the plug-in superior? Image quality? Sound? I hate having yet another dongle hanging off the back of the tv, but happy to spend the $ if it's a better experience.

You're not depending on the TV manufacturer to keep shit up to date and add new services as they become available. It's a secondary priority for them at best. The streaming devices depend on getting that right as it's the entire purpose of the device.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
What Denamian said, but also built-in smart functions are usually slower than plugged in ones because they are running off of hardware in the TV that is not dedicated to that function. It is similar to buying a dedicated GPU to offload graphics processing to a device built for that specific task.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, there you go - Apple TV 4k or Nvidia Shield Pro?
Nvidia Shield TV Pro has way more apps, including the Apple TV app. And you can run RetroPie on it, which is a pretty powerful emulator, Steam Link, various other game streaming apps, including Stadia and GeForce now which both run natively on the device, supports Bluetooth connectivity to all the video game console controllers. The Shield TV Pro is basically a mini console.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well, there you go - Apple TV 4k or Nvidia Shield Pro?

I've got a shield pro and it's a great device. My only complaint is the recent update from Google that's giving me ads on the home screen now. If you want to avoid that make sure to turn off auto app updates in the play store when you set it up and don't update the tv launcher manually.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
I'm joining the OLED club after ordering a 55 CX.

Also had to order a new Shield since my old 2015 model doesn't support Dolby Vision apparently.

• 2Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Comcast sent me a 4k streaming box. Is there any reason to use this if I already have a 4k roku tv?

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Is this TV "OK" for being cheap as hell at $419? Mostly be used for my kids watching disney+/BS, basic cable, and the occasional streaming movie. TV is a small part of our leisure time.

1627155559564.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is this TV "OK" for being cheap as hell at $419? Mostly be used for my kids watching disney+/BS, basic cable, and the occasional streaming movie. TV is a small part of our leisure time.

View attachment 363835

I pretty much stick with RTINGS when it comes to looking for stuff like this. Are you going to see a difference between that one and the one they recommend (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisens...77&ref=198&refdomain=rtings.com&skuId=6403994) for the extra $50? Who knows...

That one Fire TV based, the other is Android based, are you using the built-in apps or care?

• 2Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I pretty much stick with RTINGS when it comes to looking for stuff like this. Are you going to see a difference between that one and the one they recommend (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h8g-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6403994.p?acampID=0&cmp=RMX&irclickid=1dfUw:Xb2xyLWbxyAT2WyRb6UkBUWX35r2Wj1U0&irgwc=1&loc=RTINGS.com&mpid=1989377&ref=198&refdomain=rtings.com&skuId=6403994) for the extra $50? Who knows...

That one Fire TV based, the other is Android based, are you using the built-in apps or care?
We are coming from a Roku for this room which we like, both have apple phones if that matters. The TV will be mounted on like a 2 point mount with tilt, we are constantly turning it. The hisense is rated ~a full point higher on that site. But I can’t get the HiSense from Best Buy near me or anywhere around my city, and it says shipping unavailable so I might be shit out of luck. Everywhere else it’s $700+. Not a huge deal but it’s nice if I can just go pick it up and it’s cheaper for roughly the same viewing experience, idk.

Edit: looks like the 55h8g is sold out most places

I’m replacing a TCL led that just died randomly with black screen (think backlight went out), also a budget TV

Last edited:

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
We are coming from a Roku for this room which we like, both have apple phones if that matters. The TV will be mounted on like a 2 point mount with tilt, we are constantly turning it. The hisense is rated ~a full point higher on that site. But I can’t get the HiSense from Best Buy near me or anywhere around my city, and it says shipping unavailable so I might be shit out of luck. Everywhere else it’s $700+. Not a huge deal but it’s nice if I can just go pick it up and it’s cheaper for roughly the same viewing experience, idk.

Edit: looks like the 55h8g is sold out most places

I’m replacing a TCL led that just died randomly with black screen (think backlight went out), also a budget TV

Not for nothing, I have recently begun wholesale converting my fully Roku household. They were great for about 5-7 years, but the last 2 years they have made it impossible to watch Twitch, IPTV, and other things that I like. In those same last two years, Android TV and its successor Google TV have become really fantastic. The Chromecast with Google TV is the best after-market device I've ever owned to make a TV fully smart. I liked it so much that I replaced a TCL 65R617 with the Sonly 85X900H with Android TV natively and I couldn't be happier. Moving forward, Roku is a dead platform as far as I'm concerned as it has been totally eclipsed by Google TV in every area that matters.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I ended up going with this TV, which for the price/rating and availability looks to fit the bill:

you better wallmount that, i have a 70in older hisense and those feet are dangerous

i'm using them now atm, as i'm still trying to figureout where i want to wall mount the tv in the bedroom, but i have dumbells holing it down, the 55in might not matter really, thats a small enough tv that a looter could put it in the trunk of their car.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
you better wallmount that, i have a 70in older hisense and those feet are dangerous

i'm using them now atm, as i'm still trying to figureout where i want to wall mount the tv in the bedroom, but i have dumbells holing it down, the 55in might not matter really, thats a small enough tv that a looter could put it in the trunk of their car.
I have the 55" and its attached to this mount on the wall already! says max size is 50" but my 48" was basically the same as this new 55"(same exact "holes" used on the mount) but the new TV is a tad lighter. had to buy 3 damn 4k HDMI cables though, what a pain (need to replace the one that runs in wall)

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have the 55" and its attached to this mount on the wall already! says max size is 50" but my 48" was basically the same as this new 55"(same exact "holes" used on the mount) but the new TV is a tad lighter. had to buy 3 damn 4k HDMI cables though, what a pain (need to replace the one that runs in wall)

oh you got lucky on the holes lining up, thats cool

i'm guessing you'll just tie the new wires to the old and run them through the wall that way, if not klein tools released a new version of their magnet fishing,

the old one was this
516413fd558221989591b1b5a32ea11f.png

the old one was this but it marred the dry wall, new one is a roller, like the more expensive magnepull
c1668063384d9dc5cedc1d5ccf896734.png

you have to order it from hd online b/c it's so new

i'm planning my new runs soon, atm i'm just fixing all the scary ass electrical (one outlet has 4 connections), and i've never dealt with a 1st floor ceiling before but i read that the magnet system can jump through the ceiling joists easier than a noodle.

• 1Solidarity