HDTVs

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You in VRR game mode on your QN90A?
Yes, I tried it with my real gaming machine and it's very cool. It's not near my main computer so I'm trying to build another computer with an 6800 XT but uh... those don't exist.

Right now it's running off this laptop with a 3050, but the laptop has HDMI 2.1 so the VRR works.

Last edited:

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Yes. It's not near my main computer so I'm trying to build another computer with an 6800 XT but uh... those don't exist.
So VRR in game mode and Movie mode for movies and tv shows ?
The reason I ask is that both Movie mode and VRR game mode are the only picture settings where PWM is at 960hz, rest of Samsung modes PWM drops to a very low 120hz. Also if you activate picture clarity in any of the 960hz modes PWM drops to 120hz. A bit odd as Sony LCD's are at 720hz for all modes and settings. Have you tried any modes outside the above mentioned for a longer time and felt any kind of eyestrain and/or headache?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So VRR in game mode and Movie mode for movies and tv shows ?
The reason I ask is that both Movie mode and VRR game mode are the only picture settings where PWM is at 960hz, rest of Samsung modes PWM drops to a very low 120hz. Also if you activate picture clarity in any of the 960hz modes PWM drops to 120hz. A bit odd as Sony LCD's are at 720hz for all modes and settings. Have you tried any modes outside the above mentioned for a longer time and felt any kind of eyestrain and/or headache?
The only eyestrain I've had is because it's way too fucking bright unless you adjust it.

Which Sony TVs have 120hz game modes?

kroenen

Regimen Morum
The only eyestrain I've had is because it's way too fucking bright unless you adjust it.

Which Sony TVs have 120hz game modes?

Im talking about PWM dimming frequency. The higher PWM hz the better for your eyes. Sony have 720hz PWM in all modes and settings. Samsung for some reason only have 960hz in VRR game mode and Movie mode without picture clarity setting activated, the rest of the Samung modes is 120hz. Introducing low-PWM frequencies, causes multiple contractions and expansions of the pupils and a risk for eyestrain, and long term even headaches and migraines.

more in depth explanation in the link below:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Im talking about PWM dimming frequency. The higher PWM hz the better for your eyes. Sony have 720hz PWM in all modes and settings. Samsung for some reason only have 960hz in VRR game mode and Movie mode without picture clarity setting activated, the rest of the Samung modes is 120hz. Introducing low-PWM frequencies, causes multiple contractions and expansions of the pupils and a risk for eyestrain, and long term even headaches and migraines.

more in depth explanation in the link below:

Yes, I understand what you're saying, I was wondering which Sony models would be an alternative option.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I did notice eye strain when I first got the TV but I thought that was just due to brightness.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Yes, I understand what you're saying, I was wondering which Sony models would be an alternative option.
Ah ok, sadly at the moment none of the Sony or panasonic TV's have full vertical VRR support. Both companies claim a firmware fix will be out before the end of year, but who knows.
Both Samsung and LG make their own chipsets while Sony and Panasonic relies on the mediateck chipset. Also, the only other brand with minled tech implemented at the moment is LG's QNED, with the great benfit of not using PWM at all. However they don't use a VA panel but rather a new variant of IPS with supposedly pretty good blacks if you set the local diming to the higher setting. Have not seen the new LG with my own eyes so I cant vouch for how it stacks up against the QN90A.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ah ok, sadly at the moment none of the Sony or panasonic TV's have full vertical VRR support. Both companies claim a firmware fix will be out before the end of year, but who knows.
Both Samsung and LG make their own chipsets while Sony and Panasonic relies on the mediateck chipset. Also, the only other brand with minled tech implemented at the moment is LG's QNED, with the great benfit of not using PWM at all. However they don't use a VA panel but rather a new variant of IPS with supposedly pretty good blacks if you set the local diming to the higher setting. Have not seen the new LG with my own eyes so I cant vouch for how it stacks up against the QN90A.
Can't fit a TV bigger than 50 inches on the wall its on. So that means the QN90A or a C1 OLED pretty much.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I did notice eye strain when I first got the TV but I thought that was just due to brightness.
Unless you are highly sensitive to PWM you should be good with the QN90A, as long as you are either in VRR game mode and Movie mode and clarity setting is not on.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just sold my 65'' LG B7A to my father-in-law for an absurdly low price. Throwing around the ideas presently on the 75'' LG C1 vs Sony A80J vs Samsung 90A.

TV will be placed in a room that has multiple windows, but most movie / 4k content is consumed at night so may negate the lower nit rating in the OLEDs. \

I was sold on a Samsung 90A, but the AVS forum is riddled with people pissed off at blooming and lack of quick transition between OFF-ON between the mini-leds. I understand that this may just be a technicality for anal tv enthusiasts.

Feels like you probably can't go wrong with any of these sets at the current discounted price for each TV between $2799 - 2999.

Lack of 2.1 HDMI isn't really a factor on the Samsung as I'm using a Denon receiver to eARC.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Just sold my 65'' LG B7A to my father-in-law for an absurdly low price. Throwing around the ideas presently on the 75'' LG C1 vs Sony A80J vs Samsung 90A.

TV will be placed in a room that has multiple windows, but most movie / 4k content is consumed at night so may negate the lower nit rating in the OLEDs. \

I was sold on a Samsung 90A, but the AVS forum is riddled with people pissed off at blooming and lack of quick transition between OFF-ON between the mini-leds. I understand that this may just be a technicality for anal tv enthusiasts.

Feels like you probably can't go wrong with any of these sets at the current discounted price for each TV between $2799 - 2999.

Lack of 2.1 HDMI isn't really a factor on the Samsung as I'm using a Denon receiver to eARC.
The A80J! It's a no-brainer if your priority is movies/TV-series watched mostly at night time. Also current Oled's aren't available in 75" but rather 77", so you get 2 extra inches ;)
Samsung's focus is currently on what they regard as their true flagship, the 8K QN900a . That model gets all the quality control and latest tech implemented. If you want 4k flagship priority you need to go oled.
Sadly, once 8k oled manufacturing cost drops to an attractive consumer level, all companies will shift focus and make 8k their flagship priority until microLED goes mainstream. The US Qn90a seem to have more issues than the EU Qn95a. The Qn95 also have a separate OCB with 4 hdmi 2.1 ports compared to a single one for Qn90.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Green toe offering the 83” Samsung 90a for $3700. Seems like a decent deal down
90a is available at 85" and also a recently released size of 98", it's the 4k flagship oled's from LG and Sony that max out at 83"

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
costco will be selling LG C1s starting Oct 27th at a further discounted price. Best Buy and Target match Costco if they are in the same area. Sale goes on till Nov 21st

Sizes:
48" - $1,099.99
55" - $1,299.99
65" - $1,799.99
77" - $2,999.99
83" - $4,999.99

Best Buy is a good one to buy from, since their warranty package (expensive) for 5 years or w/e covers burnin, while the other places do NOT cover burn in.

FWIW my 5 year old B7 finally started developing burn in this year in the last month, after nearly 18k hours being on. Good trade off, I'm going to likely buy a new 77 next month.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
The A80J! It's a no-brainer if your priority is movies/TV-series watched mostly at night time. Also current Oled's aren't available in 75" but rather 77", so you get 2 extra inches ;)
Samsung's focus is currently on what they regard as their true flagship, the 8K QN900a . That model gets all the quality control and latest tech implemented. If you want 4k flagship priority you need to go oled.
Sadly, once 8k oled manufacturing cost drops to an attractive consumer level, all companies will shift focus and make 8k their flagship priority until microLED goes mainstream. The US Qn90a seem to have more issues than the EU Qn95a. The Qn95 also have a separate OCB with 4 hdmi 2.1 ports compared to a single one for Qn90.
Thank you, appreciate the insight. And yes, I meant 77'', but good catch. Additional inches always matter (what my wife says).

Think I'll see what I can snag the A80J for then. Wish I could afford the A90J in 83'', but don't see that happening. Will likely go through BB to get the burn-in coverage (never bought insurance on a TV before). My B7A developed vertical banding and 4 dead pixels in the last year, but thankfully that is in the upper left corner and hardly noticeable to my wife (though it bothers the shit out of me).

Also feel like I have to transition my old Denon X3300W to a newer model that supports 2.1 and 4k at 120hz. It's a never-ending cycle.

• 1Like