HDTVs

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Samsung 8000 LED still solid bang for the dollar?

Looked at the Hisense swayze22 swayze22 got but unfamiliar with it personally.

Looking for a decent, 50"+, LED TV. Honestly prefer it to not be a smart TV. Someone told me they bought a dumb TV, but it's been a year and can't remember who much less many details.

Actually I might be buying 3, so looking for value.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Samsung 8000 LED still solid bang for the dollar?

Looked at the Hisense swayze22 swayze22 got but unfamiliar with it personally.

Looking for a decent, 50"+, LED TV. Honestly prefer it to not be a smart TV. Someone told me they bought a dumb TV, but it's been a year and can't remember who much less many details.

Actually I might be buying 3, so looking for value.
The TV suits us well thus far, feels like good value. We have the 55". Was a massive visual upgrade- Disney+ is always rocking and other 4k looks good on there when we have time to watch. As noted in the review on RTings/other places as one of the only drawbacks - the viewing angle is "limited" I guess but seems like a non issue in a functional setup. We have a swivel mount that we utilize so not an issue.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The TV suits us well thus far, feels like good value. We have the 55". Was a massive visual upgrade- Disney+ is always rocking and other 4k looks good on there when we have time to watch. As noted in the review on RTings/other places as one of the only drawbacks - the viewing angle is "limited" I guess but seems like a non issue in a functional setup. We have a swivel mount that we utilize so not an issue.
are you using external speakers? when i moved i didn't bother to set up my soundbar and i found my older hisense sounded pretty decent, but lately it house trouble initalizing sound if i switch between hdmi inputs and sometimes even just using the htpc sound won't come through video player but will with firefox or vice versa.

hooked up the sound bar and had no more issues

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If Samsung's upcoming R&D 2022 models are significantly better Black Friday could have some good deals on everything below "Neo QLED" tier. Production and amount of inventory may factor into it but warehouse clearances on existing stuff that gets slapped with an "old tech" sticker is likely.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
are you using external speakers? when i moved i didn't bother to set up my soundbar and i found my older hisense sounded pretty decent, but lately it house trouble initalizing sound if i switch between hdmi inputs and sometimes even just using the htpc sound won't come through video player but will with firefox or vice versa.

hooked up the sound bar and had no more issues
no external speakers, no weird sound issues thus far. its in a large open room that opens up a bit, probably 500sqft total. sounds been fine. TV is loud as fuck so volume is always very low.

To add - the UI is fine as well. It's equal to roku or better in some aspects. (android smart TV)

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So what would be a good 2.1 or speakerbar setup to go with a LG C1 for less than $500?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So what would be a good 2.1 or speakerbar setup to go with a LG C1 for less than $500?

I'm no sound expert, but I found that my C1 didn't need a soundbar. Fool around with the audio settings and give "AI mode" a try and so forth. You get completely different sound setups between the different modes. For gaming, one of the sound modes absolutely booms. Think it was AI. Out of town so I can't check.

C1 also only has 3 HDMI ports IIRC, so using one for a sound bar is less appealing. I might be wrong and there might be a 4th one hidden in the back. All I have connected to mine is a PS5, Switch, and PS3. Side note: PS3 looks amazing on a C1. It's like actually playable again, even at 65''.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Rtings has a specific sound bar section (Soundbar Reviews: Best of 2021) they launched that may help you out if you haven't looked there yet. Some of the $500 range ones seem to be more centered around 5.1 and then you have some 2.1 with discrete satellites and a subwoofer in different setups. Probably take some poking around to hone in on your exact needs. $500 borders on a decent entry level bookshelf system with small amp, but of course that isn't possible in every set up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm no sound expert, but I found that my C1 didn't need a soundbar. Fool around with the audio settings and give "AI mode" a try and so forth. You get completely different sound setups between the different modes. For gaming, one of the sound modes absolutely booms. Think it was AI. Out of town so I can't check.

C1 also only has 3 HDMI ports IIRC, so using one for a sound bar is less appealing. I might be wrong and there might be a 4th one hidden in the back. All I have connected to mine is a PS5, Switch, and PS3. Side note: PS3 looks amazing on a C1. It's like actually playable again, even at 65''.
most soundbars now will have 4k hdmi passthru so you don't lose a port, also most all tvs have ARC support on hdmi1 and soundbars are ARC now so just connect the soundbar to hdm1 (probably have to enable in settings too) and all sound gets passthru to the soundbar.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not exactly a TV question per se, but maybe someone can help me out. What's a good method to record from a Comcast box? Getting a wrestling PPV this weekend and want to record it in the DVR like I would anything else, but Comcast doesn't allow recording of PPVs. Or at least, my cable box doesn't have that option. Any suggestions on a way to record something in this situation?

I've got a Game Capture HD60 laying around, maybe I could use that? Unsure if Comcast has anything that would block it. I've never bothered recording a PPV before, at least not since like 2002. Even in that case, it'd be a computer recording so I wouldn't be able to just pull it up on the TV for a rewatch, would need to USB drive it.

If there's some other device I need I can try to get it before Sunday night, when the show is.

Would be great if Comcast would just let me record it but hey

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Also whats a good tv stand/entertainment center to sit a 65 inch c1 on? One I have now is not suited at all for a 65 inch tv.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Got a 58 Samsung model 7000 for 500$.

Apparently they reran 2019 models due to chip shortages, snagged one from Sam's

Might buy another if there are good deals on black Friday.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I assume some big brain thinking went in to draping a dish towel over the railing there. Here I am balancing my 75” (?) precariously over the ledge, don’t wanna scuff anything up may as well put the ‘ole jizz rag down.

Perfectly good slide on the other side that could have been used here.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
My QN90A makes my monitor look like absolute dogshit by comparison, and it feels bad.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Went with the Sony A80J over the C1 since its supposed to be a a little better for movie/hdr content and have pretty much no intention of using it to game so wont miss the vrr capabilities of the c1. Also picked up a vizio sound bar to go with it.

Also went with this as a tv stand as the one I have now is in no way suited for a 65 inch tv;

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Went with the Sony A80J over the C1 since its supposed to be a a little better for movie/hdr content and have pretty much no intention of using it to game so wont miss the vrr capabilities of the c1. Also picked up a vizio sound bar to go with it.

Also went with this as a tv stand as the one I have now is in no way suited for a 65 inch tv;

Excellent choice, the XR reality creation chip is a game changer. Sony 2021 OLED's is therefore the number one choice for movie/HDR content.