HDTVs

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Their use case is special - i have no burn in on my CX48 i use for gaming but i also dont keep much static images sitting around either. Webpages stay on my second screen and only the game remains on the primary. I also dont do long gaming sessions anymore beyond perhaps the 3hr mark.

Basically using an OLED on a PC means you need to approach how you use the display more cautiously. I also make sure i turn off the screen if im going to be away from it longer than 10 min.
Agreed, but worth mentioning in case someone plan on using it in the same fashion as Linus & Wendell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i have a 5 year old B7 that only started getting burn in this year after being on 18k hours. Its a bit of green splotchy (looks like a rorsarsch pattern) that only shows up when the screen is mostly red or yellow. I'm fine with 18k hours and replacing, thats like 10c an hour overall which is tough to beat. If it wasn't for the burnin I'd keep using it, it does get distracting.

Just unplugged it all, bought a 65 C1 at costco today ($1800+tax), and took 2 hours or so to assemble and setup. Working great with ps5, series X, PC, and switch. Costco sells the Sony 80 or 90 for the same price but since 70% of my TV time is on a console I'd rather stick with LG. Maybe when I change our living room TV I'll see what Sony is doing, although I'm hoping for something even crazier than OLED in the next few years.

Only bummer is the C1 is lower to the ground than the B7, I need to raise it up a bit to get clearance for sound and controllers and shit. Will have to see what kind of risers Ikea has, for now I've just stuck it on a few books.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
for what its worth Costco will be apparently dropping prices on LG OLEDs by possibly another $100 post Nov 27th, but they do price matches for 90 days so its well within the time period if bought one during its current sale, you should be able to go in and get the price differential.

Been running the C1 now 3 days and no problems, really happy with it. Ended up getting a TV bracket mount at Walmart for $50 to raise it up the 10" or so needed to put my sound bar under it.

At CES in January LG is rumored to announce a 97" LG OLED model.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok so rock on - best scenario happened - Received credit to purchase a C1 with tax included. (Already placed the order online using the credit for in store pick up) I paid 389 for a new 5 year warranty against screen burn - and they let me keep the B7A :p

Now, how much good HDMI 2.1 will do me currently - won't be leveraged much since I drive everything through my Aventage A770 which only supports 2.0a. Receivers with HDMI 2.1 are expensive as shit - so I am not too terribly concerned with it right now - but will be nice to have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports for future use.

If I did want to try it out I could though with wiring my Series X or PS5 directly into an eArc compatible port and pass the audio through to the receiver. Would just have to make sure it supports Atmos in that set up.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok just in case this happens to anyone else:

There is an issue with the latest (Seems to impact C1's and possibly others manf. in september and october of this year) where HDCP and the chipset used is broken - there is a firmware fix coming supposedly from LG on 11-17. This happened to be as once I installed my new C1, I had my PS5 with HDCP 2.2 enabled and my receiver popped up a message saying I needed to insert the HDMI feed into a port that supported HDCP 2.2 which obviously it has - and it is failing back to HDCP 1.4. To get around this, I disabled HDCP entirely on my PS5 for now and do not care much since I never stream off it anyway. My Series X has issues from time to time streaming video but a hard power off and turn on seemed to fix that which is good since that is my streaming device. I have not tried 4k Blu Rays yet but I have a feeling those will not work correctly from the Series X when I try.

At least it should be a firmware fix.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Update on the 77A80J. Absolutely fantastic TV. I did follow the AVSForums settings listed in post 5 here Settings A80J .

Had a bit of a wild experience I'll give a brief story here. Purchased my home in 2018 and in the den area there was a wall mount which was certified to hold up to 90'' TVs. I inspected it and assumed it was held into studs in the wall, but as it turned out it was only 4 - 200 lb rated toggle bolts into drywall. You could not see the toggle bolts at all, the prior owner must have shaved off the plastic bit that usually surrounds the bolts. Anyways, I open the TV and get my 70 year old father to help me place it up on the mount (wife couldn't help for medical reasons), within 5 minutes of tinkering with the TV and adding some bias lighting, it rips the drywall off the wall and crashes on top of my expensive tv console. Thankfully I had just moved my center channel off the console prior to putting the TV up. Somehow the TV didn't shatter , but did have a bend in the corner of the TV (no pixels were damaged, somehow).

I immediately removed the TV from the area, mudded and cleaned up the drywall. Ended up painting and sanding for the next two days before I contacted my retailer to request a replacement (by the grace of god you couldn't tell what the fuck happened in the room after I was done). They ended up sending a tech over who told me it was only the 2nd time he's seen a bent panel (NO SHIT IT FUCKING SLAMMED INTO THE WALL AND BENT). They replaced the TV no questions asked and took the original TV off my hands to be "recycled". Everything else has worked out perfectly and the TV is beautiful. SDR does still look a bit shit, but the HDR/DV content makes up for all of that. I feel like I do have PTSD so I haven't hung it again into the studs.

TDLR New TV smashes off wall into console, retailer replaces it and I immediately jerk off knowing I could have been fucked if the screen was smashed up.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Update on the 77A80J. Absolutely fantastic TV. I did follow the AVSForums settings listed in post 5 here Settings A80J .

Had a bit of a wild experience I'll give a brief story here. Purchased my home in 2018 and in the den area there was a wall mount which was certified to hold up to 90'' TVs. I inspected it and assumed it was held into studs in the wall, but as it turned out it was only 4 - 200 lb rated toggle bolts into drywall. You could not see the toggle bolts at all, the prior owner must have shaved off the plastic bit that usually surrounds the bolts. Anyways, I open the TV and get my 70 year old father to help me place it up on the mount (wife couldn't help for medical reasons), within 5 minutes of tinkering with the TV and adding some bias lighting, it rips the drywall off the wall and crashes on top of my expensive tv console. Thankfully I had just moved my center channel off the console prior to putting the TV up. Somehow the TV didn't shatter , but did have a bend in the corner of the TV (no pixels were damaged, somehow).

I immediately removed the TV from the area, mudded and cleaned up the drywall. Ended up painting and sanding for the next two days before I contacted my retailer to request a replacement (by the grace of god you couldn't tell what the fuck happened in the room after I was done). They ended up sending a tech over who told me it was only the 2nd time he's seen a bent panel (NO SHIT IT FUCKING SLAMMED INTO THE WALL AND BENT). They replaced the TV no questions asked and took the original TV off my hands to be "recycled". Everything else has worked out perfectly and the TV is beautiful. SDR does still look a bit shit, but the HDR/DV content makes up for all of that. I feel like I do have PTSD so I haven't hung it again into the studs.

TDLR New TV smashes off wall into console, retailer replaces it and I immediately jerk off knowing I could have been fucked if the screen was smashed up.
breaking-tv-throwing-tv.gif

I guess all's well that ends well.... Btw, You running internal apps for streaming or external device ?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 381250

I guess all's well that ends well.... Btw, You running internal apps for streaming or external device ?
how the hell was this tv hung? what kind of a mount is that?... it's just a strip

even the cheapest amazon mount would hold better
b12a43303b95d089e69c3cbb93a3880a.png

note, i have used this mount, i used it to mount a 22in monitor flush to my wall for my home security monitors, even then it was pretty solid.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I use a NVIDIA shield for my IPTV service and Plex. I found last night that I’m experiencing the audio dropping out from time to time when I use internal apps.
Ok, I have the shield too and felt that the internal apps using Sony's upscaling provided a better image for SDR material. Then again, with a bit of tinkering you can allow passthrough with the refresh app and/or in plex.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
@Amod Think we need to have the thread title updated to UHDTVs, not many 720p or 1080p Tv's sold anymore.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
how the hell was this tv hung? what kind of a mount is that?... it's just a strip

even the cheapest amazon mount would hold better
b12a43303b95d089e69c3cbb93a3880a.png

note, i have used this mount, i used it to mount a 22in monitor flush to my wall for my home security monitors, even then it was pretty solid.
This was the Mount , but the bigger issue were the toggle bolts which are only held on by drywall. My precious 65” wasn’t extended much at all so it probably didn’t reach the breaking point, but when I put the 77” on her, she was slightly extended and then pulled off the wall. Wish I could have caught it on video to see my face, almost cried.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Ok, I have the shield too and felt that the internal apps using Sony's upscaling provided a better image for SDR material. Then again, with a bit of tinkering you can allow passthrough with the refresh app and/or in plex.
I use Tivimate as my “guide” for my IPTV service, I’m actually going to try it though the TV, I feel you might be on to something. They use the same App Store obviously so it should work theoretically. Thanks for the idea, didn’t even cross my mind actually

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Apologize for the triple post but thought it was worthwhile to state I’ve watched over 14 hours of soccer/futbol, American football over the last week and haven’t noticed the screen dimming once. No image retention either. Don’t think you can go wrong with the C1 or A80J. The A80J is hella bright as well, I can’t even imagine viewing the Samsung 90A, would burn your fucking eyeballs out

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This was the Mount , but the bigger issue were the toggle bolts which are only held on by drywall. My precious 65” wasn’t extended much at all so it probably didn’t reach the breaking point, but when I put the 77” on her, she was slightly extended and then pulled off the wall. Wish I could have caught it on video to see my face, almost cried.
oh, i'm talking about kroenen kroenen 's gif w/ that tv smash lulz

but yea, i have about the same mount, and i like it, it's pretty awesome

idk how you can trust toggle bolts

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Seemed to have fixed the audio dropout error from internal apps on the A80J. Definitely agree the internal processing of the Sony is better than the an NVIDIA shield. SDR looks so much better now

• 1Like