HDTVs

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Also feel like I have to transition my old Denon X3300W to a newer model that supports 2.1 and 4k at 120hz. It's a never-ending cycle.
From your original post you only mentioned that you wanted it mainly for media, but as you now mention 4k 120hz, hints to me that top gaming features is a priority also. Would you say it's as much as 50/50 split cause then my recommendation will change to LG instead.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
From your original post you only mentioned that you wanted it mainly for media, but as you now mention 4k 120hz, hints to me that top gaming features is a priority also. Would you say it's as much as 50/50 split cause then my recommendation will change to LG instead.
Thanks for taking the time to entertain my decision.
At this point i’m mainly 75-80% Sports/Movies/TV. Sometimes bring my PC over for VR, but don’t plan on hooking up a PS5 or XBX.

Im a huge soccer fan and have read that the Sony will sometimes dim the screen due to brightness and burn in settings. Do you have any experience with this thought? Wonder if the C1 makes more sense in a sporting regard, but I’m having trouble finding concrete answers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
I grabbed a Sony X85J, 75 inch. Pretty nice set and good sound. I have tin eyes and ears so maybe I am not the best judge, but I like it. I also got a decent couch to go with it. Stroke of genius! My gf loves it and has been out of my hair all day.

54342068-1.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I grabbed a Sony X85J, 75 inch. Pretty nice set and good sound. I have tin eyes and ears so maybe I am not the best judge, but I like it. I also got a decent couch to go with it. Stroke of genius! My gf loves it and has been out of my hair all day.

View attachment 377691
Absolutely love a good recliner. Adds so much to the experience.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
costco will be selling LG C1s starting Oct 27th at a further discounted price. Best Buy and Target match Costco if they are in the same area. Sale goes on till Nov 21st

Sizes:
48" - $1,099.99
55" - $1,299.99
65" - $1,799.99
77" - $2,999.99
83" - $4,999.99

Best Buy is a good one to buy from, since their warranty package (expensive) for 5 years or w/e covers burnin, while the other places do NOT cover burn in.

FWIW my 5 year old B7 finally started developing burn in this year in the last month, after nearly 18k hours being on. Good trade off, I'm going to likely buy a new 77 next month.
Not a sale compared to current prices for the 65 inch unless theyre throwing in some extras. $1800 is the current price of the C1/A80J at Amazon for the past month.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Thanks for taking the time to entertain my decision.
At this point i’m mainly 75-80% Sports/Movies/TV. Sometimes bring my PC over for VR, but don’t plan on hooking up a PS5 or XBX.

Im a huge soccer fan and have read that the Sony will sometimes dim the screen due to brightness and burn in settings. Do you have any experience with this thought? Wonder if the C1 makes more sense in a sporting regard, but I’m having trouble finding concrete answers.

Sony's motion handling is better suited for sports compared to other brands. All Oled's have however a built in brightness limiter called ABL to prevent burn in. LG oled's give you the option to disable this function at your own risk, while Sony does not permit you to disable ABL. This dimming function will be most visible during sports with alot of bright static logos and also to some degree during gaming sessions.
Regarding PC and VRR , sadly at the moment none of the Sony TV's have full vertical VRR support. They claim a firmware fix will be out before the end of year, but who knows. Both Samsung and LG make their own chipsets while Sony and Panasonic relies on the mediateck chipset

Here you have ABL kicking in on the brighter A90J during a soccer game:

Here you have ABL on A80J kicking in during gaming:

And some additional info and thought's about ABL during gaming on Sony A80J/A90J

• 1Truth!

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Sony's motion handling is better suited for sports compared to other brands. All Oled's have however a built in brightness limiter called ABL to prevent burn in. LG oled's give you the option to disable this function at your own risk, while Sony does not permit you to disable ABL. This dimming function will be most visible during sports with alot of bright static logos and also to some degree during gaming sessions.
Regarding PC and VRR , sadly at the moment none of the Sony TV's have full vertical VRR support. They claim a firmware fix will be out before the end of year, but who knows. Both Samsung and LG make their own chipsets while Sony and Panasonic relies on the mediateck chipset

Here you have ABL kicking in on the brighter A90J during a soccer game:

Here you have ABL on A80J kicking in during gaming:

And some additional info and thought's about ABL during gaming on Sony A80J/A90J

Thanks that was very enlightening. I’m shocked Sony doesn’t allow any adjustment to ABL. that is a bonus for the C1/G1 for sure. Worth taking the risk to lower that setting potentially if I buy the burn in coverage through BB. Much appreciated

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Thanks that was very enlightening. I’m shocked Sony doesn’t allow any adjustment to ABL. that is a bonus for the C1/G1 for sure. Worth taking the risk to lower that setting potentially if I buy the burn in coverage through BB. Much appreciated
Going to have a few beers now and make a decision tonight. No matter what, I feel like you can’t really go wrong, especially at these newer price points.

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Agree that the LG should be the most balanced choice for you. If you would have been mostly into movies and Tv-series then it would have been my original recommendation of the A80J.
Samsung would have been the Nr1 choice for Sports/gaming oriented users if it wasn't for subpar quality control of the QN90a. Also the QN90a also have a problem I have mentioned in an earlier post regarding PWM. Samsung for some reason only have 960hz in VRR game mode and Movie mode without picture clarity setting activated, the rest of the Samung modes is 120hz. A bit odd as Sony LCD's are at 720hz for all modes and settings
Introducing low-PWM frequencies, causes multiple contractions and expansions of the pupils and a risk for eyestrain, and long term even headaches and migraines if you are sensitive to PWM.

Also, lets throw in a LG G1 oled vs QN95a ( EU version of QN90a) from a german youtuber. The Samsung is much brighter and the youtuber have to set the camera against the LG G1 brightness , otherwise if camera was set against QN95 brightness the oled would look too dark. Therefore during some scenes in this test the Samsung will look overexposed in some bright highlights, but that would not be the case in a real life setting. Samsung is on the left in this video.

Also lets do an all Samsung comparsion 4K flagship vs their 8K flagship:

Both videos are available up to 4K in resolution.

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Agree that the LG should be the most balanced choice for you. If you would have been mostly into movies and Tv-series then it would have been my original recommendation of the A80J.
Samsung would have been the Nr1 choice for Sports/gaming oriented users if it wasn't for subpar quality control of the QN90a. Also the QN90a also have a problem I have mentioned in an earlier post regarding PWM. Samsung for some reason only have 960hz in VRR game mode and Movie mode without picture clarity setting activated, the rest of the Samung modes is 120hz. A bit odd as Sony LCD's are at 720hz for all modes and settings
Introducing low-PWM frequencies, causes multiple contractions and expansions of the pupils and a risk for eyestrain, and long term even headaches and migraines if you are sensitive to PWM.

Also, lets throw in a LG G1 oled vs QN95a ( EU version of QN90a) from a german youtuber. The Samsung is much brighter and the youtuber have to set the camera against the LG G1 brightness , otherwise if camera was set against QN95 brightness the oled would look too dark. Therefore during some scenes in this test the Samsung will look overexposed in some bright highlights, but that would not be the case in a real life setting. Samsung is on the left in this video.

Also lets do an all Samsung comparsion 4K flagship vs their 8K flagship:

I spent about 2-3 hours last night combing AVS forums. The Samsung threads are absolutely scary with huge ranges of experiences and issues. Why the fuck there can be discrepancies in panels and blooming is simply unacceptable at this price range.

Also an incredible shame Chase stopped doing price protection. My last OLED was 2017 and there were multiple dodgy sites available for price match. Think I snagged a B7A for $2200 and price matched it down to $1700 at the time. They obviously got smart to that idea.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I spent about 2-3 hours last night combing AVS forums. The Samsung threads are absolutely scary with huge ranges of experiences and issues. Why the fuck there can be discrepancies in panels and blooming is simply unacceptable at this price range.

Also an incredible shame Chase stopped doing price protection. My last OLED was 2017 and there were multiple dodgy sites available for price match. Think I snagged a B7A for $2200 and price matched it down to $1700 at the time. They obviously got smart to that idea.
Also forgot to mention that Sony have an edge with their newly implemented XR processing chip, and it's not a gimmick. It really delivers a really sharp an almost three-dimensional like image in certain HDR scenes. Also if you would compare a 65" vs 77" vs 83" size side by side you would notice that the 65" would look sharper compared to the bigger sizes. Pretty obvious when the same resolution on a bigger screen equals lower PPI. The XR processor however helps retain the same sharpness on bigger sizes.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Also forgot to mention that Sony have an edge with their newly implemented XR processing chip, and it's not a gimmick. It really delivers a really sharp an almost three-dimensional like image in certain HDR scenes. Also if you would compare a 65" vs 77" vs 83" size side by side you would notice that the 65" would look sharper compared to the bigger sizes. Pretty obvious when the same resolution on a bigger screen equals lower PPI. The XR processor however helps retain the same sharpness on bigger sizes.
Wouldn’t have thought that. Probably should have asked this first, what TV do you have and size?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Also been wondering if I’d use the Nextgen Tuner for OTA, It is available in my area in NY. Not available in C1 but is in 80J

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Wouldn’t have thought that. Probably should have asked this first, what TV do you have and size?
Im kind of like a "tv gypsie" constantly on the move between different Tv's. Latest Tv I had was the 65" A80J, excellent Tv but in the end I sent it back due to it being too small in size, ABL issue and lack of full VRR. Picturewise it is the best image so far, only bested by A90J in specular highlights. Im waiting to see if Sony release a fix for VRR and might go the A90J 83" route when they drop in price and will then compare it to next years follow up of the A80J , if that one is released in an 83" version.

Also, check out this specific scene in a side by side comparsion with the A90J vs the Qn90A. Even though the Samsung technically is the brighter TV, Sony's XR processing works magic with specular highlights/ sharpness and makes the Sony look brighter and sharper.

Last edited:

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Also been wondering if I’d use the Nextgen Tuner for OTA, It is available in my area in NY. Not available in C1 but is in 80J
Sorry can't help you with that, I don't reside in the US and dont use tuner functions myself, only streaming services.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Not a sale compared to current prices for the 65 inch unless theyre throwing in some extras. $1800 is the current price of the C1/A80J at Amazon for the past month.

they throw in a alltrade 3 year warranty, which adds to the costco warranty which is like 4 years if you use the costo credit card, so 7 years total. but it does not cover burnin, afaik, just everything else. You also get $100 of stream credit (hulu, netflix i think) and maybe one or two other things, but yeah its basically the same price everywhere.

The sony 2019 65" xbr a9g is $1800 on amazon
www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZZLDP9

i just prefer buying my TVs in store, especially Costco. If I have any problems I know I can return it for 90 days with no hassles given. Shipping shit back to amazon, especially something like a TV, sounds like a huge hassle.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Sorry can't help you with that, I don't reside in the US and dont use tuner functions myself, only streaming services.
Pretty sure I’m sold on the 77” A80J. Thanks for your help and insight. Decided I’m going to upgrade my receiver for my 7.1.2 setup and upgrade the bias lighting with some hue lights so I’m in for a decent chunk of $.

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Pretty sure I’m sold on the 77” A80J. Thanks for your help and insight. Decided I’m going to upgrade my receiver for my 7.1.2 setup and upgrade the bias lighting with some hue lights so I’m in for a decent chunk of $.
Glad to help, hope you will be happy with your purchase!