HDTVs

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
How bright is your living room? OLED isn’t as bright as LED, so that might be another consideration. Viewing angle won’t mean much if the OLED is getting washed out by large picture windows.

Heh. I have a 13-foot bay window in the living room. Definitely some food for thought. Thanks guys.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Heh. I have a 13-foot bay window in the living room. Definitely some food for thought. Thanks guys.

I have patio doors and a south facing garden. Daytime viewing was not an issue with my 2015 OLED, nor with my 2023 OLED G3 which is noticeably brighter

Siliconemelons

Yeah, still get an OLED imo- if you have tons of sun, pay for the newest, wait a few months and get the 2024 model - usually the biggest increase between models is total brightness and some cpu increase to "upscale" better.

I have large windows with just normal blinds, no drapes, and mine does fine, I think its a LG C3?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
sweats.gif
Do it. OLED is 100% the way to go.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
admittedly I only use my TV in the evenings and draw my curtains (in Summer) but I've just tested it now at 848am, it's bright outside, clear sky. Brightness is a complete non issue on my LG G3

Captain Suave

I ended up getting a 65'' Hisense U8 on a Black Friday sale. Couldn't quite bring myself to spring for the OLED. Put it up with a Mantle Mount and I love it already. Only hitch was that I have a metal lath plaster wall and it was a bitch to find the studs. Mount is super sturdy. Four lag bolts in the studs, everything is bolted together, solid steel, nice gas pistons. It's a little high when flat to the wall due to the mount point necessary to clear the 15'' mantle at the bottom, but I like that now I have space underneath for storage. 10/10 so far. Just have to work on cable management.

Falstaff Falstaff I'd definitely recommend this if it fits your use case.

1701494745373.jpeg

1701494751388.jpeg

1701494758688.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I ended up getting a 65'' Hisense U8 on a Black Friday sale. Couldn't quite bring myself to spring for the OLED. Put it up with a Mantle Mount and I love it already. Only hitch was that I have a metal lath plaster wall and it was a bitch to find the studs. Mount is super sturdy. Four lag bolts in the studs, everything is bolted together, solid steel, nice gas pistons. It's a little high when retracted due to the angle necessary to clear the 15'' mantle, but I like that now I have space underneath for storage. 10/10 so far. Just have to work on cable management.

View attachment 502692
View attachment 502693
View attachment 502694

Now that is interesting. My parents have their TV off to the side of the fireplace at a bit of an awkward angle because putting it over the mantle would make it too high. This might be exactly what they need.

Captain Suave

Now that is interesting. My parents have their TV off to the side of the fireplace at a bit of an awkward angle because putting it over the mantle would make it too high. This might be exactly what they need.

Yeah. My old TV was just sitting on the ~5 ft mantle and it was at a bad enough angle I'd get a crick in my neck watching a movie. This drops down something like 18'' below the mantle height now. Much more comfortable.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
they have motorized versions, if it's for old ppl get that version, i don't think theres even a price difference

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, that would be even better. Yet another remote for my dad to lose/destroy though. Hopefully my mom can keep it hidden from him.

Best part of this for them would be that the cats will no longer be able to sit in front of it, blocking their view.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of old people…

Neighbors are a real nice older couple. We always chat about yard stuff, kids, all the white people stuff. They’re both retired but he still flies his plane and does side job stuff with his company. Veteran.

Invited me over to help take apart this very nice, old, $2k wood TV cabinet in their living room bc they were getting a bigger TV and the space would only fit their 48”. So we backed out some screws, lifted the top off, ended up having to cut the side panels down because they were both single solid pieces. Then remounted the old top to the base to give it a nicer finish. It actual looked pretty good if you like older style furniture.

So I say, “Very nice. Did W get the new TV already or does he need help picking it up?”

Wife says, “Oh no, he got it. They didn’t have the 55” though so he just got the 50.”

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Speaking of old people…

Neighbors are a real nice older couple. We always chat about yard stuff, kids, all the white people stuff. They’re both retired but he still flies his plane and does side job stuff with his company. Veteran.

Invited me over to help take apart this very nice, old, $2k wood TV cabinet in their living room bc they were getting a bigger TV and the space would only fit their 48”. So we backed out some screws, lifted the top off, ended up having to cut the side panels down because they were both single solid pieces. Then remounted the old top to the base to give it a nicer finish. It actual looked pretty good if you like older style furniture.

So I say, “Very nice. Did W get the new TV already or does he need help picking it up?”

Wife says, “Oh no, he got it. They didn’t have the 55” though so he just got the 50.”

What a funny story

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I ended up getting a 65'' Hisense U8 on a Black Friday sale. Couldn't quite bring myself to spring for the OLED. Put it up with a Mantle Mount and I love it already. Only hitch was that I have a metal lath plaster wall and it was a bitch to find the studs. Mount is super sturdy. Four lag bolts in the studs, everything is bolted together, solid steel, nice gas pistons. It's a little high when flat to the wall due to the mount point necessary to clear the 15'' mantle at the bottom, but I like that now I have space underneath for storage. 10/10 so far. Just have to work on cable management.

Falstaff Falstaff I'd definitely recommend this if it fits your use case.

View attachment 502692
View attachment 502693
View attachment 502694
I have the MM540 in my living room, which is basically the same thing - I actually didn't use the main feature that differentiates (paintable covers) it since I had to install it off-center in order to reach two studs (one of my studs is dead center in the wall - the tv is still centered, just the bracketry is shifted) . I'm happy with the end result, but installation was a pain in the dick - I had to be sure to triple check my calculations since I only had about an inch of margin and there was no ability to really do a test fit. There were some other stupid quirks with the process I've forgotten including pretty poor instructions and I couldn't follow any youtube videos as they had just redesigned it. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably spring for one of the motorized versions - pulling it down isn't as effortless as they make it look, so, my wife tends to just leave it up if she's watching tv.

Captain Suave

I had to install it off-center in order to reach two studs (one of my studs is dead center in the wall - the tv is still centered, just the bracketry is shifted)

I had the same problem and had to open the lever arm and install the locking pin to access the hole for the top center lag bolt. I ended up installing the brackets shifted 2 inches to the left of center and put the mount arm on the center stud. It offends my OCD but you can't see it behind the TV anyway.

That was my one complaint about the setup. The directions very clearly state that you should be able to install on a 32'' stud gap, which would have been perfect for our cases, but the mounting bars are only 29'' wide. WTF?

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I had the same problem and had to open the lever arm and install the locking pin to access the hole for the top center lag bolt. I ended up installing the brackets shifted 2 inches to the left of center and put the mount arm on the center stud. It offends my OCD but you can't see it behind the TV anyway.

That was my one complaint about the setup. The directions very clearly state that you should be able to install on a 32'' stud gap, which would have been perfect for our cases, but the mounting bars are only 29'' wide. WTF?
Ahh, yes, that was one of the issues - the arm mounted right over the one lag bolt. They really should have just made it longer.

For my install, you can see the brackets in the lowered position, so it kind of annoys me when I see it.

They make an adapter for installation on a single stud, but I didn't 1) want to spend more money 2) have less margin on something I'm essentially going to be pulling off the wall on a regular basis and 3) didn't want to have another week of my tv being on the floor.

Overall, I love the concept and functionality, but they really need to do a better job in the execution. I'd probably try that one Lanx found if I had to do it again - it's identical to the monoprice one I was looking at a while ago.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Okay, this will sound pretty stupid, but I haven't watched TV for well over a decade. My wife watches cable programs on a plasma TV that I bought a long time ago so there's no need for an antenna. I never used it or even set it up.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a TV for my shop because there's a couple jobs that an employee can easily do while still watching TV if they want. Basically to help pass the time.

I'm not going to get cable installed. Can they watch local programming right out of the box, or do you still need to get some type of converter or special antenna?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Okay, this will sound pretty stupid, but I haven't watched TV for well over a decade. My wife watches cable programs on a plasma TV that I bought a long time ago so there's no need for an antenna. I never used it or even set it up.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a TV for my shop because there's a couple jobs that an employee can easily do while still watching TV if they want. Basically to help pass the time.

I'm not going to get cable installed. Can they watch local programming right out of the box, or do you still need to get some type of converter or special antenna?
you need a hd antenna

goto
plug in your address and see what stations you can accept and the radius will also determine how strong of an antenna you'll buy.

this has been rated as one of the best indoor antennas, since it's for a shop, you might not have ready access to areas, but you can mount this on a wall or something
da45a501c03d54159ff8baeef9932ca3.png

Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V TV Antenna, 60+ Mile Range, UHF/VHF, Multi-directional, Indoor, Attic, Outdoor, Mast w/Pivoting Base/Hardware, 4K Ready, Black – C2-V-CJM, 18.50in. x 12.30in. x 3.60in.

if you find signal a bit difficult to aquire, try a signal meter then
Mediasonic HomeWorx ATSC Digital Converter Box with TV Tuner, TV Recording, USB Multimedia Function (HW-150PVR-Y22)

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If by cable you mean they wont even have internet, then yea - Lanx has a good option for you. But just generally having a smart tv there for them to turn wifi on their phone on, and connecting the TV to it will allow them to watch Netflix or w/e on it. I have backup internet at my office, so I never lost it there but I do at the house and I do this exact thing there. Most phones have an unlimited plan now. As the business owner, you're doing more than most by just letting them watch TV while they work.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If by cable you mean they wont even have internet, then yea - Lanx has a good option for you. But just generally having a smart tv there for them to turn wifi on their phone on, and connecting the TV to it will allow them to watch Netflix or w/e on it. I have backup internet at my office, so I never lost it there but I do at the house and I do this exact thing there. Most phones have an unlimited plan now. As the business owner, you're doing more than most by just letting them watch TV while they work.
probably best to just let them watch basic tv and not give them "options" a karen could walk into them watching tru detective
b274644c2d24a57d6f931db5449425e9.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users