HDTVs

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
No issues with shipping. I've had mine delivered via both Abt and Costco.

ya I just ordered a tcl 5 series for the guest house (like 400 bucks, amazon) and a lg c2 (cosco) for us to replace our failing b7a

that g3 is sexy though, but not an extra 2-3k sexy

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
ya I just ordered a tcl 5 series for the guest house (like 400 bucks, amazon) and a lg c2 (cosco) for us to replace our failing b7a

that g3 is sexy though, but not an extra 2-3k sexy

You get the TCL 5 yet? I'm going to grab one from Best Buy I think for like $500 or whatever for our bedroom. I'm anti TV in the bedroom but am making an exception (that I'll later regret making) for my wife since she's carrying my child and has asked for one.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You get the TCL 5 yet? I'm going to grab one from Best Buy I think for like $500 or whatever for our bedroom. I'm anti TV in the bedroom but am making an exception (that I'll later regret making) for my wife since she's carrying my child and has asked for one.

ya haven't set it up yet will let you know, it's 400 on amazon (if you get the goog os)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Anyone up to speed on ambient lighting? I want behind screen led’s that change color depending on what is on the screen. I briefing looked and saw a junction box that I assume all HDMI sources you want that functionality need to be routed through it. I also saw a camera you have to position in front of the screen…that seems like a shit solution.
What’s the good stuff?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone up to speed on ambient lighting? I want behind screen led’s that change color depending on what is on the screen. I briefing looked and saw a junction box that I assume all HDMI sources you want that functionality need to be routed through it. I also saw a camera you have to position in front of the screen…that seems like a shit solution.
What’s the good stuff?
Bias Tv Lighting will give you a good run-down. There are other options obviously, but its not really all that complicated and depends more on what you want. Whether to enhance colors, or enhance blacks and whites etc. Its not my cup of tea- as I would rather my TV's edge completely disappear in the darkness.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What’s the good stuff?
i have an older ver of this
3ab5d07beb7636a207e9183af1d512a8.jpg

it's nice, the dorky looking boom cam works well, lighting colors always match the movies (its just like the pic)

it's app controlled, lighting and shit, i don't ever use it, i just connect it to alexa and turn it on/off when watching movies that way.

i don't understand just putting lights behind the tv that don't change along w/ what youre watching, thats just stupid

• 1Like

Daidraco

i have an older ver of this
3ab5d07beb7636a207e9183af1d512a8.jpg

it's nice, the dorky looking boom cam works well, lighting colors always match the movies (its just like the pic)

it's app controlled, lighting and shit, i don't ever use it, i just connect it to alexa and turn it on/off when watching movies that way.

i don't understand just putting lights behind the tv that don't change along w/ what youre watching, thats just stupid
Im on Chersk Chersk side about it - if Im going to use one, its not going to have that stupid camera anywhere. I dont know how you can put up with that even if you do have vaulted ceilings in your media room. The have go-betweens for HDMI cables and hell, Phillips Hue has a whole line of stuff without the Camera. But yes, I agree. Constant lighting that doesnt change with your picture just seems like a 16 year old wanna-be streamers type of retardation.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
What’s the good stuff?

I use the Hue gradient TV strip with the PC sync app instead of the sync box as most of my watching is on my HTPC

Constant lighting that doesnt change with your picture just seems like a 16 year old wanna-be streamers type of retardation.

Netflix is with my TV app so no lighting sync with that, but really it's a gimmick. The TV enthusiast take is that changing lighting would interfere with the calibration of the tv, as you want consistent lighting conditions. Subtle regular back light is probably optimal

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Lightning storm took out my TV. Bought it a couple years ago for nearly 3k and I'm wondering if I can get similar features for a lot less money. Had a TV repair guy come to the house today and he recommended buying two boards to fix it - they're both 250ish. So if I can get a set that is the same quality or better for around a grand I think its worth it to just move on....

Here is the Samsung I'm considering fixing or replacing:

I find the anti-glare shit to be very noticeable when watching during the day.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Lightning storm took out my TV. Bought it a couple years ago for nearly 3k and I'm wondering if I can get similar features for a lot less money. Had a TV repair guy come to the house today and he recommended buying two boards to fix it - they're both 250ish. So if I can get a set that is the same quality or better for around a grand I think its worth it to just move on....

Here is the Samsung I'm considering fixing or replacing:

I find the anti-glare shit to be very noticeable when watching during the day.

Does home insurance not cover it?

Malakriss

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
It was on a surge protector.

I think what did me in was the ethernet connection actually. My house was built in the late 90's so it's run entirely with coax. I bought these and ran a small switch off that feeding my TV, PS5, and Xbox with ethernet. The coax modem still works but the ethernet switch, PS5, Xbox, and TV are all dead. The PS5 beeps when you press the power button but won't turn on & the Xbox lights up but won't boot/doesn't give any video signal. My surge protector had a coax pass through but I wasn't using it...won't be making that mistake again.

I ended up with a QN90B but 75". It was rated slightly higher than my old TV but significantly cheaper than what I paid for the old one so I only moderately threw up in my mouth.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just got a cheap an no mic/camera TV for the new place. I watch very very little TV, so probably going to use it as a gaming station. I have a lot of emulators, the official genesis, nes, and snes ones, a raspberry pi 4 with all the 8/16 bit shit I could load on it, etc. I have some free video through work, but the app is ass and kept dying on me even just watching TV.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just upgraded from a rando LG hdr bluray player to a Panosonic UB820 to take full advantage of my A80J and Dolby Vision.

Compared Total Recall on my old and new player and some scenes the difference is certainly noticeable;

1.jpg

2.jpg

Others not as much;

4.jpg

3.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Also picked up 4k HDR version of Bladerunner so able to compare it to standard 1080p blurays and see how much its worth it;

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

22.jpg

• 1Like