HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh dang! That TV has the wife and I talking seriously. It's my birthday this month. Sounds perfect!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
TV was listed at 799 and changed to the new price on May24, from amazon price change.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm guessing they have no center stand version of the TCL based on the sensor placement, so everyone will have to get the legs?

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm looking at it different than most I guess. The price point to features tells me a lot of the more expensive tech is now available cheaper. It's mostly a collection of chips and products anyways right?
Most brands have already set sail for 2017 models. The 32" vizio smart tv we bought for music and news streaming was only $180 but 2017 model. They are basically pushing for 2018 price/functions but for end of year 2017 sales.
To me this just means in the next year tvs will be shifting to better functions for price than we have had the past few years.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm also wondering if next years tvs will come with atsc 3.0 tuners. Don't know the lead time they will need for that since it isn't even settled yet and won't be for a couple months.

I just thought that TCL tv was a great deal for the features compared to other tvs. Picked one up for my dad for his bedroom. It's not as good as an OLED or QLED but it's damn impressive for that price.

Also be careful if you are a chord cutter buying a VIZIO. Many of their TV's don't come with OTA tuners.

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm also wondering if next years tvs will come with atsc 3.0 tuners. Don't know the lead time they will need for that since it isn't even settled yet and won't be for a couple months.

I just thought that TCL tv was a great deal for the features compared to other tvs. Picked one up for my dad for his bedroom. It's not as good as an OLED or QLED but it's damn impressive for that price.

Also be careful if you are a chord cutter buying a VIZIO. Many of their TV's don't come with OTA tuners.
Ya, wasn't an issue for us as we have Direct TV but it was nice it included smart 2.0( the new processors for their brand ) for the $180 price point. Of course soon as we bought it Dell ran a special with it for $200 and a $100 Dell GC back making it $100 if you use those.
I think Vizio rolls out 2017s in April along with LG. TCL apparently rolls them out in June/July. Not sure on other brands.

Even in our case the 2017 compared to 2016 had better everything about including speakers.
It's starting to be like Iphones and Samsungs where the phone tvs have small features every year and the previous years go on deep discounts. I mean it's always been that way somewhat but the difference is instead of second hand sites and ebay they are just basically promoting it everyplace now. Which is good, it means prices stay competitive and good deals are to be had all around.

Still mad my main LG 2014 model has 5 dead pixels now. One clump of 3 and a clump of 2. It's very small but they are black and noticeable on a light screen. Looks like dust.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys,

LG OLED65B6P

I am about ready to take the plunge into OLED. Any advice? Should I do this? I fell in love with one when I saw it at Best Buy.

Is now a good time to purchase as this is 2016's model? Sounds like they are the same panel.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hey guys,

LG OLED65B6P

I am about ready to take the plunge into OLED. Any advice? Should I do this? I fell in love with one when I saw it at Best Buy.

Is now a good time to purchase as this is 2016's model? Sounds like they are the same panel.

I would wait till next year to get an OLED since the price is going to plummet next year with LG opening an automated factory reducing the cost to make them bigly. At least wait till black friday or super bowl when they get heavy discounts.

Oldbased Oldbased Make sure that isn't one of those shitty fucking rgbw tvs.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I would wait till next year to get an OLED since the price is going to plummet next year with LG opening an automated factory reducing the cost to make them bigly. At least wait till black friday or super bowl when they get heavy discounts.

Oldbased Oldbased Make sure that isn't one of those shitty fucking rgbw tvs.

Ok thanks for the tips :)

spronk

FPS noob
i almost jumped on the OLED 65" B6 for $1999 around superbowl time so I think the price definitely should be better than $3k for that TV. I've seen the 55" for $1400 multiple times at Frys now. I went with the KS8000 instead mostly because the LG's were having issues with input lag when HDR mode was enabled, dunno if they fixed that yet (assume so).

its probably the best TV you can buy right now for gaming/movies/TV, followed by Samsung KS8000 but keep in mind the HDR NITS values on both TVs are going to be lower than the NITs level on the 2018 TVs. I think the NITS max level on the LG OLEDs is 500 whereas the newer TVs are going to hit 1500+ which is a huge brightness differential, which will make HDR even better. The 2018 TVs are also going to support VRR, aka TV gsync but dunno if newer games will let you turn off v-sync, if they do the input lag will be absolutely minimal on console gaming.

samsung just added steam link as an APP (no extra hardware needed) to their new TVs which is awesome

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The only downside to LG's OLED is that it isn't the brightest. The picture looks amazing, but in a bright room, there's some difficulty. Add randomly, my screen appears to go 20% sooner than usual. Like if I pause something to use the bathroom, it doesn't always resume full brightness when I press play again. It might not really happen, but that's the feeling I get.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The only downside to LG's OLED is that it isn't the brightest. The picture looks amazing, but in a bright room, there's some difficulty. Add randomly, my screen appears to go 20% sooner than usual. Like if I pause something to use the bathroom, it doesn't always resume full brightness when I press play again. It might not really happen, but that's the feeling I get.

I have a 2015 LG OLED and I don't have any issues - but then my set was professionally calibrated.

I use my TV as a monitor and it does reduce the brightness if it's inactive for a while, but moving the mouse turns it back up to full. I think that's a setting you can turn off.

The biggest issue with LG Oleds and even still on the newest models is "near black banding" - basically in near black scenes then there will be visible "jail bars". Even on a pro calibrated set this can still be an issue. There's a notorious scene in Interstellar which just looks awful. Also, Castle Black scenes in Game of Thrones or similar locations/light levels can highlight this.

Although, when the scene displays absolute black eg that scene in Stranger Things when it's just Eleven in a total black setting - look stunning

I'm happy with mine despite some minor imperfections.

Honestly, waiting for the next innovation is always going to be a permanent waiting cycle. That LG OLED deal someone pasted a few weeks ago was too good to ignore IMO

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys,

LG OLED65B6P

Just bought this myself bronie, I'll let you know how it is (especially for gaming). Only concern, as mentioned, was brightness levels but I found a deal for $2400 delivered and that seemed a fair price. I'm sure it'll get cheaper, but I need one now.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Just bought this myself bronie, I'll let you know how it is (especially for gaming). Only concern, as mentioned, was brightness levels but I found a deal for $2400 delivered and that seemed a fair price. I'm sure it'll get cheaper, but I need one now.

Ok let me know. I am REALLY interested in this thing. When does it arrive?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
i almost jumped on the OLED 65" B6 for $1999 around superbowl time so I think the price definitely should be better than $3k for that TV. I've seen the 55" for $1400 multiple times at Frys now. I went with the KS8000 instead mostly because the LG's were having issues with input lag when HDR mode was enabled, dunno if they fixed that yet (assume so).

its probably the best TV you can buy right now for gaming/movies/TV, followed by Samsung KS8000 but keep in mind the HDR NITS values on both TVs are going to be lower than the NITs level on the 2018 TVs. I think the NITS max level on the LG OLEDs is 500 whereas the newer TVs are going to hit 1500+ which is a huge brightness differential, which will make HDR even better. The 2018 TVs are also going to support VRR, aka TV gsync but dunno if newer games will let you turn off v-sync, if they do the input lag will be absolutely minimal on console gaming.

samsung just added steam link as an APP (no extra hardware needed) to their new TVs which is awesome

The steam page says it is also for 2016 and 2017 UHD models for the US beta. Going to check it out when I get home.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ok let me know. I am REALLY interested in this thing. When does it arrive?

Saturday, pretty stoked - didn't realize my xbone S had a UHD player so going to grab planet earth 2 and see how it looks. My brother has an older LG OLED and he's obsessed with the thing. Now to find a home for my old sony 55".... thinking of just pawning it.