HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
I downloaded 2160p rips of American Gods last night, 150 gigs no ragrets. Not even sure when I'll watch. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2160p rips of Better Call Saul, Grand Tour, The Crown, etc.

Unfortunately 2160p rips are extremely difficult to find, I have good luck for TV shows since I have a BTN account (sorry i can't invite) but its nearly impossible to find 4k movie rips of new movies. Fortunately so few movies are any good that I end up seeing half of them in theaters anyways.

I bought a 4 box raid array and put in 3 4TB drives with one slot empty, works great and i don't have to ever fucking open up my computer. Of course my office TV is hooked up to my PC so i don't have to fuck around with streaming or anything, I have a 2TB external drive attached to the living room TV for the rare need to watch downloaded stuff in there
Amazon.com: Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4 Bay 3.5” SATA HDD Enclosure – USB 3.0 & eSATA Support SATA 3 6.0Gbps HDD transfer speed: Electronics

^ if you buy that thing use USB3 mode NOT eSata, i could never get eSata to stay working. 2160p content runs just fine off it straight into VLC or MPC

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just have network cables all over and use a NAS and Nvidia Shield. I can't imagine having to copy stuff manually over to a media drive, fuck that. Even at a 15-20GB 1080p movie, ain't nobody got time for that, let alone 2160p.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ Truth.

I have my HTPC Server and nVidia Shield both hardwired. Run Plex on the server and use the Shield to play movies from there. Copying files over? Lolno.

Plus playing TV shows or movies if you want to watch them on a tablet or phone before bed is ezpz with Plex.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I need to do some research on a NAS box for a plex server. My 2tb drive I've just used basically as a swap drive since I never keep anything after I watch it I don't think is gonna cut it much longer if I have to start getting 2160p rips!

Also, has anyone with a LG oled figured out some general calibration settings that work for most content? I've Google'd and it seems there are different settings people like depending if it's HDR or not? I just want some basic settings that'll work for everything.

Another question, I run everything through my Ps4 right now. Netflix, Hulu, etc. But now I have to be worried about game modes? Only game being played right now is Skyrim, but this might make a difference in other games.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Also, has anyone with a LG oled figured out some general calibration settings that work for most content? I've Google'd and it seems there are different settings people like depending if it's HDR or not? I just want some basic settings that'll work for everything.

every panel is different, every room is different.

This link will give you the files to a basic calibration (black and white levels) yourself AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

The other option would be to hire a pro to calibrate it, I got my OLED professionally calibrated. But yeah, it was only calibrated to non-HDR, so not sure how that works.

Crone

I used the settings from here: LG C6 OLED TV Calibration Settings and here 2016 OLED HDR Calibration Settings - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I'm not sure I like it so much. It might feel more "real" , so better, but I'm not sold on it yet. Gonna keep looking, and also look into professional calibration. I'm sure there should be someone on Craigslist that's starving and doing it cheap.

Edit: And then it looks like there is settings for HDR content. Now in a youtube video I watched, it automatically switched to HDR mode when it recognized the HDR content, but if I'm streaming this over Plex, I don't think that it'd actually recognize this. So then you have to re-calibrate, or at the minimum, switch to HDR mode, when you are about to watch HDR content? I get it, there isn't a 1 calibration that fits all, but this is pretty damn ridiculous, especially since HDR content isn't all the same.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
or at the minimum, switch to HDR mode, when you are about to watch HDR content? I get it, there isn't a 1 calibration that fits all, but this is pretty damn ridiculous, especially since HDR content isn't all the same.

The TV will auto detect HDR content from Netflix, Amazon Prime, HDR 4k discs, games consoles.

HDR implementation in Windows isn't perfect yet and windows HDR support was only added in the creators update. The TLDR is that leaving HDR switched on in Windows ruins the desktop colours and SDR content, so for now I just leave it off

Crone

So Hulu apparently is 720p. So my SD to 720p wasn't that huge of a deal. I need to get some comparisons for SD content to 2160p content.

I just learned that my PS4 isn't capable of 4k streams from Netflix or anywhere else, but the smart apps built into the TV are? Time to start using those I guess instead of my PS4.

Edit: Oops, just found out that my Netflix plan doesn't even support 4k. I'd have to bump up a tier to even have that as an option. WTF! None of this shit is very plug and play anymore! lol

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
, but the smart apps built into the TV are?

yes.

IPT has 4k HDR movie rips, they're large file sizes. Easiest way to play them back would be to put on a USB stick and plug into the TV.

Do you have a surround sound system? (as you were still watching VHS quality rips I'm guessing no, LOL)

Crone

yes.

IPT has 4k HDR movie rips, they're large file sizes. Easiest way to play them back would be to put on a USB stick and plug into the TV.

Do you have a surround sound system? (as you were still watching VHS quality rips I'm guessing no, LOL)
Sure don't! With 3 kids under age 4, cranking up the sound in anything wasn't an option.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Hulu apparently is 720p. So my SD to 720p wasn't that huge of a deal. I need to get some comparisons for SD content to 2160p content.

I just learned that my PS4 isn't capable of 4k streams from Netflix or anywhere else, but the smart apps built into the TV are? Time to start using those I guess instead of my PS4.

Edit: Oops, just found out that my Netflix plan doesn't even support 4k. I'd have to bump up a tier to even have that as an option. WTF! None of this shit is very plug and play anymore! lol

Unless I wasn't clear, Netflix can stream 4k (software) and your TV is native 4k, so the app in your TV will work just fine. I assume you have the original PS4, which also has a Netflix app, but the hardware in the PS4 is capped at 1080p. This was the whole point of the new PS4 Pro, which does run at 4k. If you upgraded your PS4, you could go back to using the Netflix app in your PS4 Pro as well as game at 4k.

Crone

Unless I wasn't clear, Netflix can stream 4k (software) and your TV is native 4k, so the app in your TV will work just fine. I assume you have the original PS4, which also has a Netflix app, but the hardware in the PS4 is capped at 1080p. This was the whole point of the new PS4 Pro, which does run at 4k. If you upgraded your PS4, you could go back to using the Netflix app in your PS4 Pro as well as game at 4k.
Oh yes, I understood. Thank you.

Right now I don't have the right plan for Netflix to get 4k content. Have to upgrade that.

This is what triggers the fuck outta me. Hulu, the most popular streaming service, and really only streaming service for up to date TV, only streams out at 720p? Wtf is wrong with the people at Hulu that think that's acceptable?

Is this like the situation that Steam shows their user base PC stats and a huge majority are running potatoes? Is a majority of the US not even running 1080p or is most of the US blind and can't tell the difference between 720p and other resolution so why even bother?

I suppose given my previous viewing situation, I'm only mad now because I have the capability to go 4k and now I want too, and these assholes pump out shitty 720p.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am still hyper skeptical of 4k streaming. The amount of compression must be staggering, which negates the point of 4k definition in the first place. Hell, I still notice artifacts from 1080p compressed media. Typically easiest seen in blocky black areas of the screen. There's got to be a hell of a lot of "missing bits" in 4k compression.

I have always been on the cutting edge of my HT for decades, but I have been extremely hesitant to pull the trigger on a 4k TV purely due to the lack of content. And again, even when 4k streaming starts to roll out, it is going to be a massive quality tradeoff. True uncompressed 4k content is absolutely massive in file size. We just aren't there in US ISP networks. Between vast areas of shoddy service, ISP monopolies, data caps, etc, it just seems insurmountable for the foreseeable future.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I am still hyper skeptical of 4k streaming. The amount of compression must be staggering, which negates the point of 4k definition in the first place. Hell, I still notice artifacts from 1080p compressed media. Typically easiest seen in blocky black areas of the screen. There's got to be a hell of a lot of "missing bits" in 4k compression.

I have always been on the cutting edge of my HT for decades, but I have been extremely hesitant to pull the trigger on a 4k TV purely due to the lack of content. And again, even when 4k streaming starts to roll out, it is going to be a massive quality tradeoff. True uncompressed 4k content is absolutely massive in file size. We just aren't there in US ISP networks. Between vast areas of shoddy service, ISP monopolies, data caps, etc, it just seems insurmountable for the foreseeable future.

A really good high bit rate 1080p file is as good as 4k streaming, at least on an oled tv

Hdr is meant to be the difference maker