HDTVs

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
To be fair, I think the 30hz is a restriction of current hdmi standard, but I'll admit I'm not up to speed on the technology.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Eomer, can't imagine how much a 90" tv would cost, why not go with a projector ? My crappy Optoma hd72 does an amazing job on a 100" screen.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Eomer, can't imagine how much a 90" tv would cost, why not go with a projector ? My crappy Optoma hd72 does an amazing job on a 100" screen.
I've been running a projector for 8 years or so, on a 106" screen. First an Hitachi PJTX-100 (or something like that), and a Panasonic PTAE-2000U (again, close enough) the past few years. I've had bad luck with both in terms of image quality issues. The panel has shit out on both within a year or two, with blemishes, burn-in, and flickering. Also I don't have great light control in my place, as it's a condo with very large windows. Finally, I can't use my TV if it's windy, as the PJ is mounted to the ceiling, and I live in a 100 year old brick and timber building where the roof will flex up and down under high winds, causing the whole picture to sway around. Also, there's probably a high rise going in 20 feet from my place across the alley within the next couple years, and if they do any piling it'll be the same thing until they're done.

I'm just kind of sick of projectors, given the problems I've had with the panels shitting out, not to mention replacing bulbs and the like. The current bulb is probably good for another 3-6 months, at which point I'll be replacing the projector either with a new one, or an actual TV. I'm just trying to decide which. Sharp has a 90" that's going for around 10k, which is definitely on the expensive side, but between the two crapped out projectors, the screen and replacement bulbs I'm easily at 6-7k with projectors.

Maybe third time will be a charm if I go with another projector and the panel won't crap out. I'll likely take the current Panasonic in to a repair shop, if only to have it looked at to determine why the panel crapped out. There's blotches all over the place on it.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Oh man, that sounds awful. I've had mine for ~3 years, I use it almost every day for a few hours before I go to sleep. The bulb is still going strong after 4k or so hours. I had one problem with it, the power supply for the bulb went out (can't remember it's name atm) and it was a 50$ repair.

I have a friend that repairs / refurbishes projectors and I got mine for 200$. Looking to upgrade to aBenq W5000soon that should be ~500$.

edit : let me know if you're interested in a refurbished one, I can give you the ebay user of my friend and maybe you'll find something interesting (and much much cheaper).

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Eomer:

I got my 2012 80" Sharp Aquos for $3,300, April of this year. The 90" typically retails around $6,500-7,000, depending on where you can find them. Biggest Samsung model is the 75", and it goes for around $8,500. Not sure about Sony.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, 4k I don't really give a shit about. Mostly when using it as an HTPC I have it set at 720p anyways, otherwise text and UIs are too small. I'll look in to that laser thing, not sure what to think about that.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I just saw the 84" 4k tv in the Sony store. The picture was jaw dropping. Makes 1080p look like my old set with rabbit ears. The salesman said he had sold 2 this year which is lol @ 25k.

He said there is about 20 movies and s YouTube channel in 4k, that's it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've definitely decided that I'm not going to be an early adopter of 4K like I was with HDTV. I bought a bigass rear-projection Panasonic 720p/1080i 56" HDTV back in 2000, shortly after they first came out. I think it cost just shy of 4 grand at the time. I really don't know what I was thinking, at the time we only had 1 over-the-air station locally that broadcasted in HD, and none of the local cable and satellite providers offered HDTV receivers yet. About the only use I got out of it the first couple years was my XBOX, split-screen Halo looked damn nice on a widescreen TV. I think it was 2002 or 2003 before my cable provider even offered HD boxes.

I'll wait for the dust to settle(and prices to become reasonable) before I jump on the 4K bandwagon. I'm actually probably much more likely to get a 4K computer monitor before a 4K TV.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Do not buy that LG laser "projector" thing, it's a huge turd. Overpriced, image quality is meh, and you run in to a lot of similar issue with screen placement/angle etc that you do with a traditional projector.

Is your projector ceiling mounted Eomer? You really shouldn't be getting any kind of picture sway or anything of that nature with it, regardless of how old your building is or how windy it gets.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Providers still have shit tons of stations not even in hd much less most of the hd isn't even broadcasting at 1080p. 4k is a long long way off before its even practical.

Any new codec that alleviates bandwidth issues will need every existing box replaced. Not practical.

4k is a long way off if not DOA like 3d. Tv manufacturers are desperate now that the hd craze is over and there are no more hooks.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
4k is closer than you think. NFL already films every game in 4k, for example. It's not a gimmick like 3d, it's a legitimately superior format and it won't be more than another year or two before the prices on 4k panels start to sink to everyday type levels.

Shit, Netflix even says it will have 4k streaming options by the end of the year.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How close do you have to be to your TV to notice the difference between 1080p and 4k?

What's the average streaming rate for a 4k encoded in x264?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Filming in 4k is irrelevant when most HD channels are 720. How 'bout we get to 1080 before worrying about 4k. Also, 4k is a massive gimmick, the human eye cannot tell a difference between 4k and 1080p from average TV viewing distances.

We have reached the plateau for useful visual quality in the modern TV. We need new tech, not higher resolutions.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I dont get the entire 4K. I mean yeah, cool, but the shit hasnt even caught up to 1080P yet. I cannot see this 4K taking off. The average person could give 2 fucks about 4K on their 40"-50" TV.

This is Sonys Betamax. LOL

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Do not buy that LG laser "projector" thing, it's a huge turd. Overpriced, image quality is meh, and you run in to a lot of similar issue with screen placement/angle etc that you do with a traditional projector.

Is your projector ceiling mounted Eomer? You really shouldn't be getting any kind of picture sway or anything of that nature with it, regardless of how old your building is or how windy it gets.
Yes, it's ceiling mounted. I'm on the top floor of the building, so yes, the ceiling itself will move up and down slightly during heavy winds, causing the picture to sway a bit. There is no "dropped" drywall ceiling or bulkheads in my condo, it's an open timber former warehouse, so the projector is mounted directly to the underside of the building's roof.

Thanks, I figured as much about the LG laser thing. Looks like at this point I'll likely be going with another projector, but I'm going to buy a relatively inexpensive one this time. I was watching a ski movie the other day, and the "blotching" on the panel was horrid.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I dont get the entire 4K. I mean yeah, cool, but the shit hasnt even caught up to 1080P yet. I cannot see this 4K taking off. The average person could give 2 fucks about 4K on their 40"-50" TV.

This is Sonys Betamax. LOL
It really just depends on how far you sit from your TV. If you are in a little apartment and like 5-6 feet from your TV, you'll be able to see a difference above 1080P in a 50" TV. If you are sitting a lot further back (say 10-12 feet), you're going to need like a 70-80" TV to be able to see a difference.

I'd happily take a 80" 4K TV if it was affordable 5 years from now, many people don't have room for TVs that big though.

I argued with people about this in the PS4/XB1 thread, but if you sit 10-12 feet from your 50-60" TV now, you probably can't even tell the difference between 720P and 1080P, much less anything above that. You either gotta be real close, or have a HUGE tv.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My fiance was still watching VHS and DVDs when we met. She thinks blu-rays look the same as DVDs. I assume the average consumer has the same reaction. They won't give a shit about 4k for a very long time. Meanwhile nerds like me will pay extra for it.