HDTVs

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
You'll love it

My friend got a gt60 during a pre-super bowl sale, and it's amazing. I didn't need the louvred screen so I went with the lower end model myself

Sean_sl

shitlord
Oh, and I totally rearranged my apartment:http://imgur.com/a/uHYaB

Hopefully that should be a good lighting setup for the Plasma. I may have to block out light from window in the kitchen from hitting the very side of the TV, but other than that I think I'm good for direct light.

That space in the cubby where the TV is is 59 inches wide and the 60 inch ST60 is 55 inches wide, so it'll fill it up pretty well.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I absolutely cannot recommend the Panasonic Plasma sets enough. Holy shit the image quality on the 60" ST60 I bought is crazy.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
So I ended up caving and bought a 80" Sharp Aquos from Best Buy for $3,300. Last one they had, was the display model, etc so pretty cheap comparatively speaking. Added in the Sonos 5.1 (sorta) system (sound bar, sub, 2 Play-3's mounted in rear). Can't tell you enough how awesome it is. I'll be watching Game of Thrones or something and be into the episode, then it'll just hit me that I'm watching an 80" screen with bad ass surround and I'll start giggling. I'm sure it will wear off soon enough, but I'm basking in the glory for a little while longer.

Had best buy come out and do the install. Grabbed a 50' long HDMI cable from monoprice and HDMI switch made by RocketFish. Put all components (STB, PS3, 360) in a rear closet and ran the HDMI over the media room through attic to drop back down behind TV. Going to grab theHarmony Ultimatewhen it finally releases for RF capability controlling the devices through closed doors. Everything appears to be completely wireless and clean. Couldn't have asked for more. What's awesome about the Sonos speakers are you can add as many additional Play-3 or Play-5's you want either in the room or in additions around the house, and they can play completely different feeds like Spotify, Pandora, attached NAS drive media library, local radio, etc. Plan on putting one outside by pool and another in kitchen/living area.

I also added a Panasonic 50" ST60 for the living room. Sean isn't exaggerating when he says the picture is stunning. The blacks are so deep and there really isn't much of a glare issue despite the living area having a lot of open windows near it letting in ambient light. I'm seriously contemplating returning it for a 55" or 60" because of how cheap they scale up. I paid $999 for the 50", the 55" is like $1175 and the 60" is $1499. Really didn't want the TV to dominate the living area, but a badass 60" for that cheap? Yes please!

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I need some Plasma TV owners to chime in here... I purchased a Samsung Plasma from Costco and brought it home just in time to catch the NHL playoffs, and to my surprise, there is a VERY annoying flickering issue during the game. I quickly googled, and found pages upon pages of "plasma hockey flicker". Anyone have issues with this? Apparently plasmas have an active contrast adjustment (ABL apparently?) that plays havoc on scenes/settings with white backgrounds. I have a splitting headache now from the flickering and am considering returning the tv.

Watched highlights this morning... Same thing. Grrrr... Wish I had gone LED.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
You should be able to turn off active contrast in the display settings. If your AV mode is a pre-defined one, you might need to switch to be able to access it. AVS forums should have a thread dedicated to your model with really good calibrated settings.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yup active contrast was the first thing I turned off, as well as the "eco mode" which changes backlighting as well. No luck, still changes and gives a "flickering" effect throughout the game. Just brutal, i'm typically not sensitive AT ALL to refresh rates/FPS's/etc/etc., but this TV literally made me jittery and gave me a splitting headache after 30 min. of the game.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My dad's panasonic has the same problem. As far as I know it is a known issue and their isn't a way to fix it until they issue a firmware update.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That issue is different than my dads problem... his screen dims and brightens at random times when watching hockey... and only watching hockey.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i have not noticed any flickering like that on my LG plasma(lg 60pa6500 or something like that), but i have not watched any hockey on it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also have an LG Plasma and I've never seen that. I don't watch hockey games but I've seen plenty of hockey highlights on ESPN, and that's never been an issue at all.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
My father's about to move into a new home, and is thinking about getting the LG Google TV GA7900 for their living area.

Has anyone purchased or used this TV? I cant find any potential issues from online materials and reviews - it looks like a damn fine TV with just about everything you'd want. My main concern is based on my Vizio's crappy connectivity - I use my ps3 or roku instead. I trust LG, Sony, and Google more though.

Most tech sites/blogs reviewing the TV were just the standard BS where they gush about the TV but you get the impression they just read the data sheet and press release and never actually used the TV.

Thanks.

Edit: Found out that they don't support webcams, and my parents like to skype their grandkids through the TV. Their out of country home has one and they love it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
CNET is really the only place for HDTV reviews. The guys on the Engadget HD podcast were talking about it and they basically said that they would like to compete with CNET but it takes like $50K worth of equipment to do the real tests that CNET does and the payback is not worth the investment so CNET kind of has a monopoly on it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
There's also a couple UK sites, but the TV models they get over there aren't actually identical to the ones we get over here. Sometimes they also get completely different ones.

One of the hidden gems of tv review sites that I have found on the internet is a UK site. For videophile/gamers it is by far the best resource I have found for TVs (and now projectors). He includes a number of measurements, input lag, motion resolution, RGB 4:4:4 (essential for HTPC and video game consoles).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/