HDTVs

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
any use ambient lighting?

i got this one, that has a stupid looking camera that looks down and matches the color onto the wall

it actually works really nice

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Best 65 inch tv (maybe 70) for under $1000? Must be 4K and hdr if TVs even come without that stuff anymore at a higher price point. Haven’t bought a new tv in at least 6 years.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Best 65 inch tv (maybe 70) for under $1000? Must be 4K and hdr if TVs even come without that stuff anymore at a higher price point. Haven’t bought a new tv in at least 6 years.

RTings.com is your friend sir.

I have the 65" TCL 6 series Roku TV from 2018 in the living room and it is great. They recommend the Hisense AndroidTV for best budget models.

Honestly, when it comes to these TVs I think the most important factor is what streaming ecosystem you prefer. I don't think you'll notice a big difference in picture quality among the TCL/Hisense/Vizio TVs in the same price range and the LG/Sony/Samsung TVs are really only more expensive due to the name on the TV.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks LiquidDeath LiquidDeath I use my ps4 or Roku to stream so I don’t really need those built in options. Just want a nice clean picture. Thanks for the info and links. I’ll check it out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Thanks LiquidDeath LiquidDeath I use my ps4 or Roku to stream so I don’t really need those built in options. Just want a nice clean picture. Thanks for the info and links. I’ll check it out.

Just FYI, the Rtings.com rating system is very finely tuned. The very best TVs out right now have an overall score of 88 or 89 while the budget TVs have a score of 80 or 81. Unless you are a serious videophile then you should go for the best TV for the price that has your desired features.

For instance, I have a TCL 65 inch that they rated at 80 and a 65 inch LG OLED they rated at 88. The OLED is clearly the superior TV, but if I didn't have the two to compare side by side then it would be hard to tell the differences (except for the ridiculous black levels of the OLED).

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This is pretty random

I happened to watch a video review on a tv today and it was talking about shitty speakers that made voices hard to hear, and it made me think about that being a problem on my tv. Apparently you can use bluetooth headphones with the fire stick, and I have a pretty decent pair. It's actually a much better experience

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I put that walmart vizio 65" in the basement - I didnt have anything plugged up at the time. I just wanted to see how well the wireless was with 4k that far away. The video turned out to be great. The refresh is like a true 60 hz, but it has some kind of janky software that seems to clean it up a bit. For watching movies and such down there, it turned out to be a good little expenditure. The biggest gripe I have, is like others have said about other televisions - they skipped way to much on the sound quality. Those speakers sound like the stereo's people buy for $5 from Big Lots to take with them to work cause they know if a board lands on it, it didnt cost them but $5. ON THE PLUS SIDE - it has all the connections needed for outstanding sound. Once I hooked up the surround sound, the atmosphere was perfect.

When the TV was upstairs, temperature around 70F before my Nest install, my g/f said the stream would just abruptly end. Ive never experienced it, but looking it up - it overheats at times? But now its down stairs, mounted properly, and it stays a bit too cold down there at times (65 to 68F)- I watched that TV while I was working on the couch all day and basically all night once my g/f got home. Never did it then, so maybe it happens? But I cant get it to replicate, and if its a heat issue - the colder temperatures, or the mounting, definitely fixed it afaik.

I've put most of the stuff in my house on "Google Home" and the google assistant makes everything I do a breeze. Granted, some asshole hacker could always come in one day - raise my blinds, jack my temperature all the way up on heat, blast all my tv's on rap - but thats about all hes going to be able to do so I'll just have to take that chance ha! Reason I brought it up was because that tv has chrome cast on it. So I can literally cast a show, youtube video etc. to any TV in the house from my PC. Big fan of Google Home so far. I installed these powered vents and temperature gauges in the upstairs bedrooms and the downstairs entertainment room. That worked well enough, but the air just didnt seem to ever get upstairs even with the rest of the vents closing up. There was just too much pressure in the system. The Nest I have led me down an HVAC path and the solution was just to put powered fans inside of my ventilation, which in hindsight was relatively cheap. That fixed the issue for upstairs. I just dont know how to keep the basement from dropping below 68F now?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I put that walmart vizio 65" in the basement - I didnt have anything plugged up at the time. I just wanted to see how well the wireless was with 4k that far away. The video turned out to be great. The refresh is like a true 60 hz, but it has some kind of janky software that seems to clean it up a bit. For watching movies and such down there, it turned out to be a good little expenditure. The biggest gripe I have, is like others have said about other televisions - they skipped way to much on the sound quality. Those speakers sound like the stereo's people buy for $5 from Big Lots to take with them to work cause they know if a board lands on it, it didnt cost them but $5. ON THE PLUS SIDE - it has all the connections needed for outstanding sound. Once I hooked up the surround sound, the atmosphere was perfect.

When the TV was upstairs, temperature around 70F before my Nest install, my g/f said the stream would just abruptly end. Ive never experienced it, but looking it up - it overheats at times? But now its down stairs, mounted properly, and it stays a bit too cold down there at times (65 to 68F)- I watched that TV while I was working on the couch all day and basically all night once my g/f got home. Never did it then, so maybe it happens? But I cant get it to replicate, and if its a heat issue - the colder temperatures, or the mounting, definitely fixed it afaik.

I've put most of the stuff in my house on "Google Home" and the google assistant makes everything I do a breeze. Granted, some asshole hacker could always come in one day - raise my blinds, jack my temperature all the way up on heat, blast all my tv's on rap - but thats about all hes going to be able to do so I'll just have to take that chance ha! Reason I brought it up was because that tv has chrome cast on it. So I can literally cast a show, youtube video etc. to any TV in the house from my PC. Big fan of Google Home so far. I installed these powered vents and temperature gauges in the upstairs bedrooms and the downstairs entertainment room. That worked well enough, but the air just didnt seem to ever get upstairs even with the rest of the vents closing up. There was just too much pressure in the system. The Nest I have led me down an HVAC path and the solution was just to put powered fans inside of my ventilation, which in hindsight was relatively cheap. That fixed the issue for upstairs. I just dont know how to keep the basement from dropping below 68F now?
Suck it up and put in a sweater if you're cold

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i bought a hisense h7, 75 from best buy a month ago, it was only 500bucks. its a bedroom tv to replace the 50 i had in there.

why buy such an oversized tv, that when i hung it on the wall, theres no "wall" left, my wife wanted to play games w/o wearing her glasses.

it looks better than the 5yr old toshiba it replace.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Just bought a TV for the first time in many many years, upgrading from an old 50”.

I ended up with this 65”:

It’s sold at Costco for $1300 with their own designation of 90CH.

Seems to get pretty good reviews as far as the non-OLED crowd goes.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not living in poverty, Dad. There has to be a reasonable fix to keep it comfortable down there.
65-68 F isn't comfortable? Shit that sounds great. It's been creeping up past 75 in my house lately and I'm just burning up. I should look into those power vans in the ventilation though. We have a couple rooms in the back of the house that seem to not get any air.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Rumors are that LG is limiting the 48" CX Oled to US and Europe markets due to low yields in the manufacturing :(

If true, sounds like bad news for anyone hoping that OLED makes its way to the desktop sometime "soon".
/sadface

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rumors are that LG is limiting the 48" CX Oled to US and Europe markets due to low yields in the manufacturing :(
I think you're on the East Coast ofCanada somewhere while I'm on the west coast but I'll order one for you and smuggle it across bro!

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man that Sony x900h looks amazing. If only I could convince the wife and not fight me on $1300. Apparently Costco carries it under their own numbering so it would get the extra warranty, excellent return policy, and an extra 2% cash back but it’s still a lot of money and I don’t even know if I’d notice a difference with my amateur eye. The Hisense h9f and TCL r625 are the two we are debating. Both about the same price (Except the Hisense seems to be out of stock on Amazon) and 8.0 and 7.8 on rtings overall respectively. The tcl has Roku instead of android which is a plus I guess since we are used to Roku for streaming.