HDTVs

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My Samsung 65 inch Q80T finally got here and it is pretty fucking sweet. The 4k apps (Disney, Amazon Prime) on my Shield TV look great.

I haven't hooked a computer up to it yet, is that worth it? What's the best device for couch mouse and keyboard usage?
Depending on what games you want to try and play on it, from your PC, I picked up just a simple Logitech wireless keyboard for $20, and then a trackball mouse so I didn't have to worry about space to move the mouse around. This lets me game from a recliner, and that's pretty cool. I attach these via my Steam Link and works really well.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Depending on what games you want to try and play on it, from your PC, I picked up just a simple Logitech wireless keyboard for $20, and then a trackball mouse so I didn't have to worry about space to move the mouse around. This lets me game from a recliner, and that's pretty cool. I attach these via my Steam Link and works really well.

This is my main reason for using a TV instead of a monitor. I’m old enough, or my pc chair sucks enough, or I’m tired of sitting at a desk all day for work, it’s just not comfortable to game at a PC for hours on end anymore. I’d rather sit in a recliner with a controller, maybe even with a heating pad on my back.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Replaceable LED panels is crazy. I need to see this in person to see how good it looks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The "future of televisions" should be 12-bit color panels, expanded color gamuts, and improvements to dynamic contrast and HDR algorithms. Those improvements will offer the biggest gains to picture quality from where we currently stand at 4k resolution. Of course the industry preys on retarded consumers who respond to buzzwords so we're much more likely to get 8k shoved down our throat than any of that.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Anyone else have TCL Roku TV's then turn off randomly, and sometimes on? I have a 55inch Series 6 that does it and a 31inch that's a week out of the box that does it too. I've adjusted the power settings and the screen saver settings to ensure that's not messing with it and taken the batteries out of the remotes to ensure its not messing with the TV's but they both still do it and its driving me up a fucking wall.

I've done factory resets on both as well. Anyone have any ideas?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone else have TCL Roku TV's then turn off randomly, and sometimes on? I have a 55inch Series 6 that does it and a 31inch that's a week out of the box that does it too. I've adjusted the power settings and the screen saver settings to ensure that's not messing with it and taken the batteries out of the remotes to ensure its not messing with the TV's but they both still do it and its driving me up a fucking wall.

Someone is in the next room trying to turn the 31” on but it’s turning off your 55” instead. You think your tv is turning off randomly, meanwhile person in next room thinks the remote batteries are dead all the time cause the 31” never turns on.

That’s just my smartass take on your situation.

Crone

Like just in the middle of a show turn off? My Roku 5 or 6? I think 5? Will go into sleep mode and then won't wake up unless I hit the Netflix button on the remote then can hit home button to do what I want to do. Gets stuck in sleep. What's Google say about your issue?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That’s lotsnothers have the same issue across all models of roku TVs and suggested fixes for them like turning off sleep timer, batteries out of remotes, hard resets, power settings and screen saver settings fix for some but not for all. I’m in the latter category.

Crone

So LG OLED lovers, have you heard much about the 2020 models?

The CX vs BX models. B stands for "budget"! the B-series loses out on the new A9 chip with AI upscaling. Is that something most people will care about? I don't know.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So LG OLED lovers, have you heard much about the 2020 models?

The CX vs BX models. B stands for "budget"! the B-series loses out on the new A9 chip with AI upscaling. Is that something most people will care about? I don't know.
The 2020 models (X series) don’t support DTS in the least, not even pass through. This is bad news if you’re heavy into the blu ray rip game since you can no longer go Shield (or other player) -> TV -> Stereo receiver and get compatibility with all your files. This is especially significant with LG because they can direct play Dolby Vision dual layer files through the TV’s smart app (no other device can play DV dual layer through Plex AFAIK) so if you got the CX you’re stuck constantly changing the wiring setup if you want to watch a mix of files that have either DV or DTS.

Crone

The 2020 models (X series) don’t support DTS in the least, not even pass through. This is bad news if you’re heavy into the blu ray rip game since you can no longer go Shield (or other player) -> TV -> Stereo receiver and get compatibility with all your files. This is especially significant with LG because they can direct play Dolby Vision dual layer files through the TV’s smart app (no other device can play DV dual layer through Plex AFAIK) so if you got the CX you’re stuck constantly changing the wiring setup if you want to watch a mix of files that have either DV or DTS.
I use all the built in Smart apps, and nothing external on my C6 model. Used to be the C vs B in the model number was curved vs flat screen.

So anyway, given that I use Plex and everything else built in, it looks like I'll be fine with the B model probably. Saves on average like $500.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I use all the built in Smart apps, and nothing external on my C6 model. Used to be the C vs B in the model number was curved vs flat screen.

So anyway, given that I use Plex and everything else built in, it looks like I'll be fine with the B model probably. Saves on average like $500.
Assuming you mean the BX, the built in Plex app isn’t going to support DTS audio because the TV doesn’t support DTS whatsoever. You’ll need an external device to decode.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Just pulled the trigger on a XBR85X90CH. There's a great deal going on at Costco but since those cocksuckers won't deliver to me I ordered through B&H Photo instead since they don't charge sales tax (most big electronics stores are matching the price, but Costco buyers get another year of warranty and longer return period).

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Think I'm going to be needing a new TV stand. Anyone have any suggestions? Want something sleek looking, sturdy, and fairly small.

edit: scratch small, it needs to be like fucking 65" long for the stand that comes with this TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
100lbs seems heavy as fuck. I guess it's over 7 feet of TV though
I thought so too but then I realized it's only 20 pounds heavier than my current 60" plasma. The weight should be distributed better since the two stands go at the opposite ends of the TV rather than one in the middle (at the weakest part of the stand). I'm still a bit concerned about setting it up though, I haven't been in the gym since the assholes started requiring masks.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Anyone have any tips for removing burn in from a plasma screen? I'm getting ready to sell mine and would like it to be top shape for its next owner and I have the Fox News logo burnt into it. I've tried a black and white flashing static type thing from YouTube but doesn't seem to have done much.

The picture on this thing is still very good even by 2020 standards. Fuck the industry for abandoning plasma.