HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Samsung has something like a 3-5 year plan for development and deployment of more advanced displays, I'm guessing buying into OLED is a technological stop-gap, or just to ensure they're hitting the whole market/have enough units.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Samsung has something like a 3-5 year plan for development and deployment of more advanced displays, I'm guessing buying into OLED is a technological stop-gap, or just to ensure they're hitting the whole market/have enough units.

If Japan, South Korea, and China all suddenly disappeared, humanity would be well and truly screwed on TVs. We'd end up getting all of our TVs from Germany, Netherlands, and maybe Russia and they'd continually be like 10 years behind what we would have had without the east Asian countries to emulate. And that might be optimistic. Hell if the northern hemisphere all suddenly disappeared, TV technology would instantly go back to the 1950's worldwide if they even kept existing at all.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If Japan, South Korea, and China all suddenly disappeared, humanity would be well and truly screwed on TVs. We'd end up getting all of our TVs from Germany, Netherlands, and maybe Russia and they'd continually be like 10 years behind what we would have had without the east Asian countries to emulate. And that might be optimistic. Hell if the northern hemisphere all suddenly disappeared, TV technology would instantly go back to the 1950's worldwide if they even kept existing at all.
Most of that tech is owned or shared with their US corporate counterparts, they're only manufactured in Korea, Taiwan, etc, due to costs. We'd ramp up manufacturing here, like we've done with a lot of things. Wouldn't take much for Samsung to flip a section of their facilities, assuming materials are available.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Most of that tech is owned or shared with their US corporate counterparts, they're only manufactured in Korea, Taiwan, etc, due to costs. We'd ramp up manufacturing here, like we've done with a lot of things. Wouldn't take much for Samsung to flip a section of their facilities, assuming materials are available.
isn't LG the only company selling good flatpanels? isn't even sony just rebranding lg stuff?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
isn't LG the only company selling good flatpanels? isn't even sony just rebranding lg stuff?
Well I can tell you LG fridges suck my ass. $2300 and 2 yrs compressor is gone. Compressor is free but they want $1000 for install because its a housecall. Cause how ther fuck am I gonna ship a fridge to get fixed.

Bought a whirlpool instead and left the LG on the curb. A bit smaller but whatevs.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Well I can tell you LG fridges suck my ass. $2300 and 2 yrs compressor is gone. Compressor is free but they want $1000 for install because its a housecall. Cause how ther fuck am I gonna ship a fridge to get fixed.

Bought a whirlpool instead and left the LG on the curb. A bit smaller but whatevs.
get in on the class action!

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
"Those who submit valid claims made be able to secure cash payments of up to $450"

HAHAHAHAA FUCK them

BTW can no longer file claims anyway.

They need to stick to making flat panels and phones and leave the appliances to the pros.

BTW to this day they refuse to change the design of that stupid "linear compressor" they still sell all or most of their fridges with that POS still in it.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My 20+ year old GE is still kicking. The plastic drawers are breaking, and finding spares is $75 on the open market, but whatever.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think of it this way.. LG and Samsung make TVs which should just work until the end of their lifespan (which shouldn't be short) and those companies are fine for that. But if you want an appliance which will require repairs, servicing, replacing parts, etc stick to actual companies with customer service worth a damn because they'll actually make something reliable in order to not hear from you unless something weird occurs.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think of it this way.. LG and Samsung make TVs which should just work until the end of their lifespan (which shouldn't be short) and those companies are fine for that. But if you want an appliance which will require repairs, servicing, replacing parts, etc stick to actual companies with customer service worth a damn because they'll actually make something reliable in order to not hear from you unless something weird occurs.

What kind of lifespan should I expect out of TVs in this day and age?

My 2016 LG (bought in 2017) is still working without so much as a hiccup and I hope it has years to go.

On the flipside my 2015 Sony overheated this year (it seems to be working again now) and some of the remote buttons have just straight-up failed on me lately.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What kind of lifespan should I expect out of TVs in this day and age?
My family's first HDTV was a Plasma from Panasonic 2003 and it was still working two years ago when we finally junked it, the brightness remained strong but the operations were so slow and showing its age. The only TV we've had fail is the one after that probably 2006ish where the capacitors in the back starting clicking during power on and eventually didn't have enough juice and died, we replaced it in 2015. All others are still alive and kicking but we've rotated and the now-oldest 2008 is a spare stuck down in the basement. We typically get Samsungs and even their monitors from that era have gone the distance.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My dad's old ass 2002 Samsung LED 40" still runs fine.

2008 Samsung 50" DLP with supposedly 5 years bulb life is still kicking. I had to have the board that controls the spinny boi after 5 years due to a dead pixel for $400 (which is wild, since it originally cost $1100). The replacement part would apparently last forever. Wife's parents have been using it for almost 3 years. If a bulb ever goes out, they're $80 to replace. It's a "dumb" device, so no software issues.

My brother in law's 65" Samsung had power supply issues in less than a year, replaced under warranty, no issues since. About 12 years use.

2016 Samsung JU7200 "SUHD" 55" is still working fine, but the software hasn't been updated in ages and no longer supports certain aps.

2018 LG C8 65" had grey vertical lines after exactly 6 months of use. Replaced the panel under warranty. No issues since. Software recently updated to support Apple TV.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Still waiting for Best Buy to stock the 65'' G1. I'll try to get it as soon as they do (have a feeling they won't be in stock for long) and then I'll be able to post a full report on how the TV is.

They just listed that Sony TV that's competing with the G1, so that gives me hope that a G1 listing is imminent. The Sony one is significantly more expensive than the G1. I'm talking 4 thousand versus 3 thousand for the 65''. I've read that the Sony is slightly better, but costing 33% more is lopsided pricing for "slightly better" to say the least.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Still waiting for Best Buy to stock the 65'' G1. I'll try to get it as soon as they do (have a feeling they won't be in stock for long) and then I'll be able to post a full report on how the TV is.

They just listed that Sony TV that's competing with the G1, so that gives me hope that a G1 listing is imminent. The Sony one is significantly more expensive than the G1. I'm talking 4 thousand versus 3 thousand for the 65''. I've read that the Sony is slightly better, but costing 33% more is lopsided pricing for "slightly better" to say the least.
Get that source material primed and ready for the new TV.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
"Those who submit valid claims made be able to secure cash payments of up to $450"

HAHAHAHAA FUCK them

BTW can no longer file claims anyway.

They need to stick to making flat panels and phones and leave the appliances to the pros.

BTW to this day they refuse to change the design of that stupid "linear compressor" they still sell all or most of their fridges with that POS still in it.
Understand your frustration, but don't pretty much all appliance makers fucking suck now? I just had to replace the diverter valve on my dishwasher that's four years old because it's prone to failure apparently and leaks water all over the fucking place when it fails (ruining part of my hardwood floor in the process).

As a comparison my old GE dishwasher from the 80's is still going strong in my rental house and worked fine the 10 years I lived there as well without a single repair... Same goes for the fridge.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Had never even heard of this company before. Let me know how your delivery goes.
Just delivered today. The company called me and set up a delivery time and a guy delivered it into a room of my choosing.

There is a decent sized hold in the box, but not so bad that I think the TV is damaged. I won't know until tomorrow when I unbox it to hang it.

Experience so far has been great, though. No different from buying a TV from Amazon.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just delivered today. The company called me and set up a delivery time and a guy delivered it into a room of my choosing.

There is a decent sized hold in the box, but not so bad that I think the TV is damaged. I won't know until tomorrow when I unbox it to hang it.

Experience so far has been great, though. No different from buying a TV from Amazon.
Or really any delivery of a TV. The only time I've had issues with a delivered TV is when DHL delivered a TV where the screen was cracked and fucked to hell. I always plug it in before accepting delivery since.