HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
haha lulz really, what in the fuck
d5d5544a509405fbef2f80907d569ddf.jpg

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Sony A90J has flat feet that are flush with the TV, meaning the whole thing looks really good on a TV stand (like it's sitting directly on the stand). Good for people without a soundbar to obscure the view of all of the cords behind the TV, since you can't see under it. I should probably get that if I want a top-tier TV without any fuss. Except it costs $800 more than a G1.

This is a tough call. I could just grab a C1 and be done with it and probably not be missing much, but I'm going to wait a bit more and see how feasible G1 is (if they even get it).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
costco has some kind of whacked deal for a 48 lg cx for 1350 w/ allstate insurance and $100 hulu credit?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

More negative press on the G1... starting to think I'm lucky it's taken so long to be in stock. Looks like it's basically the same thing as the C1 side-by-side and the wall mounting is a PITA. It was a cool idea and I was looking forward to impressing chix with gallery mode, but I think I'm gonna pass on the G1 at this point. Question now is C1 or A90J. For $1200 less I'm almost certain I'll stick with LG, but I have to admit there's an appeal to getting THE BEST TV EVER~! as well. I can afford either one, though in Sony's case less-easily, and I do think it's overpriced. Will do some more comparing.

Funny thing is, the thing that'll end up deciding this might actually be the base. LG C1 has a centralized base, so I can keep a 65'' on my existing TV stand made for 55'' TVs. A90J has feet on either end, which won't fit on my TV stand unless I could move the feet inward. Usually you can do that with Sony TVs... but not this one. This one thing is a dealbreaker cause I have no interest in getting a new stand or getting rid of the one I have that I've had for many years now.

Last edited:

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd love to see that A90J in my living room but I'm addicted to 85" TVs so it looks like I'm at least 2 years away from an OLED TV. Funny story: I first ordered a 75" samsung in 2018 which the delivery driver accidentally gave to someone else and tried to give me their el cheapo LG 75" lower end TV. The driver calls the guy who got my Samsung and the dude told him he was keeping it, it did cost at least 2x more than what he had ordered and he said "he wasn't scared of jail, he had already been there" or some kind of tough guy routine like that, so the guy refused to return the high end Samsung TV.

So I called Buydig and they offered to send me another plus give me back some cash for the trouble and I asked about the 85" X900F instead, which wasn't quite out yet, and he offered me $1000 off the retail price and an Xbox One X for $100. I had to wait about a month but it was worth it because it's got incredible blacks for a non-OLED and I can't imagine going back to a smaller TV of any kind.

The A90J in 85" would probably cost $10k today. Maybe $7K for the 2022 model and $5k in 2023 so I'm probably just going to wait until then.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd love to see that A90J in my living room but I'm addicted to 85" TVs so it looks like I'm at least 2 years away from an OLED TV. Funny story: I first ordered a 75" samsung in 2018 which the delivery driver accidentally gave to someone else and tried to give me their el cheapo LG 75" lower end TV. The driver calls the guy who got my Samsung and the dude told him he was keeping it, it did cost at least 2x more than what he had ordered and he said "he wasn't scared of jail, he had already been there" or some kind of tough guy routine like that, so the guy refused to return the high end Samsung TV.

So I called Buydig and they offered to send me another plus give me back some cash for the trouble and I asked about the 85" X900F instead, which wasn't quite out yet, and he offered me $1000 off the retail price and an Xbox One X for $100. I had to wait about a month but it was worth it because it's got incredible blacks for a non-OLED and I can't imagine going back to a smaller TV of any kind.

The A90J in 85" would probably cost $10k today. Maybe $7K for the 2022 model and $5k in 2023 so I'm probably just going to wait until then.

I didn't know people could just refuse to return things that were erroneously delivered to them, with no repercussions. Just another symptom of our crumbling society.

Anyway I just got the C1 65", think I made the right choice. It was either that or an A90J 55", since the Sony has feet instead of a base and thus I don't have room for it. Why this is a thing and bases aren't the norm is beyond me. "To leave room for a soundbar"...yeah except A90J has a built-in soundbar essentially. Other deciding factors were Sony being overpriced and LG having substantially lower input lag for gaming.

Never had a 65" before so I'm pumped. Also pumped to see the evolution of the C6 which has served me so well.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I think i am also going to drop down to the C1 77''

G1 just does not seem like a big enough leap in panel brightness to justify the cost nor the inconvenience of wall mounting (for me)

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think i am also going to drop down to the C1 77''

G1 just does not seem like a big enough leap in panel brightness to justify the cost nor the inconvenience of wall mounting (for me)

I'm in the same boat with G1 and the wall-mounting situation.

My C1 isn't shipping until Monday morning, so I could still switch it for something else (A90J) with zero trouble. The 55'' A90J costs a hundred more than the 65'' C1. I don't have room for a 65'' A90J, at least not without getting a new TV console which I have no interest in. 65'' C1 is fine because of the centered base.

Been weighing the pros and cons really hard all day.

-65'' C1 is considerably bigger than 55'' A90J.
-C1 has half the input lag of A90J and 95% of its use will be for playing games.
-C1 has FreeSync, G-Sync, and VRR, and...95% of its use will be for playing games.
-Has a nicer base than A90J's weird feet.

-A90J would look more amazing, with a leap in panel brightness, and is more likely to wow onlookers the 5% of the time when I use it to watch movies with guests (including...ladies).
-I've always had 55'' TVs so it's what I'm used to anyway.
-My game room isn't that big, and I don't sit that far from the TV, so 65'' may turn out to be overkill.
-The A90J is so damn sexy.

I'm pretty sure C1 is the logical answer after this entire TV odyssey of the last month, and owning a 65'' for the first time might turn out to be super awesome. So I'm mostly sure I've got the right one on the way. However, that A90J and its near-equivalent price tag and the rave reviews about it are weighing on me.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
C1 arrived, got it set up and tested it. Right away I realized how few quality PS5 gen exclusive games there are to really stress-test new technology with. It's pretty much Demon's Souls. Valhalla is a multi-platform release, Nioh is a remaster, etc. Though I'm gonna use Nioh to test the 120 FPS function and see how that is later.

Pros:
-The size is pretty great, glad I went up from 55'' to 65''
-There's like zero input lag, even on older systems

Cons:
-The TV itself is a little underwhelming. Not a huge upgrade from the C6 in some aspects. Not to go down that discussion again, but it doesn't pop colors that much better, and in some cases worse (reds, fire). I'm going to work on it some more but I already did some basic calibration and it just isn't wowing me. Maybe it's diminishing returns, maybe I'm just too used to solid OLEDs.
-The brightness levels are pretty intense. I didn't think it'd be the case since the G1 Evo is touted as having the brightness levels. The brights are BRIGHT on this, though. I had to turn on the blue light filter pretty quickly and its going to take some work to adjust things down.

Need to do more calibration and get in-depth with this later. Also wish I had better things to test it with than what are effectively a bunch of PS4 games.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did some more testing. For some reason I have a lot more screen mode options with PS3 than I do with PS5. Maybe it's because of the ports, or maybe there's an auto-optimization checked somewhere in the menu for newer tech. Only have like five options for PS5, compared to like eight or nine for PS3.

In particular, the ISF Bright Room setting looks AMAZING with PS3, better than the Game Optimized setting. My PS3 games almost look like PS4 games with this setting on, and it's making me want to finish some of my unfinished old PS3 games. I just wish I could put this setting on while playing PS5 as well, because I suspect it'd look better than it looks now.

Not sure what the deal is. I'll work on it more later, but if anyone here who has a CX/C1 already has an idea of why I'm getting more visual settings on one game system than the other, let me know.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Not sure what the deal is. I'll work on it more later, but if anyone here who has a CX/C1 already has an idea of why I'm getting more visual settings on one game system than the other, let me know.

I've got a PS4 pro, Switch, and Nvidia Shield hooked up to my CX. When I get home in the morning I'll compare the options available for each.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah and anyone else who bought an LG OLED recently, don't forget to check LG OLED TV Promotion | LG Electronics for a free speaker from LG as long as you bought it from one of their authorized partners.

That's awesome, I had no idea. It reminds me of something I forgot when I was talking about the C1: The sound. Oh man, the sound on this TV is absolutely tremendous. During setup, you can pick the "AI sound on" option or go with standard sound. I'm not sure what the difference is, but the AI sound option makes the sound crystal-clear and soundbar-esque. The only downside is it gets kind of loud. Like having the TV volume on 5 (out of 100) is enough to fill the room, pretty much. Either way, best sound I've heard on a TV ever, bar none

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20210512_022705.jpg

Question for the room. I love that these newer TVs have such nice screensavers. How do I get rid of that stupid "no signal" though? Why is it even there?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah my CX doesn't change what options are available for any of my devices.

So they've all got the same options? Interesting. I wish I knew why my PS5 doesn't have the ISF Bright Room option.

I'd say my PS4/5 games each look about 20% better than they did on the C6. Which is nothing to sneeze at. Meanwhile though, my PS3 games look at least ten times better than they did before. They look very close to PS4 games now with ISF Bright Room on. Makes me want to revisit my ten or so unfinished PS3 games.

Fun Fact: You can plug a PS5 controller into a PS3 and it'll work on PS3 as long as it's plugged in. Can't use the center/menu button though (since it'll just turn on the PS5). I have to turn the PS3 off and on to access the menu again. Other than that, plugging the PS5 controller in once it's time to start playing = massive improvement over PS3 controller.

Regardless, I need to figure out why ISF Bright Room isn't available for PS5. I switched the ports around and that didn't do anything either. I doubt the HDMI cable has any effect on this (PS3 is using an older HDMI cable while PS5 is using an HDMI 2.1 8K-capable cable).

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So they've all got the same options? Interesting. I wish I knew why my PS5 doesn't have the ISF Bright Room option.

I'd say my PS4/5 games each look about 20% better than they did on the C6. Which is nothing to sneeze at. Meanwhile though, my PS3 games look at least ten times better than they did before. They look very close to PS4 games now with ISF Bright Room on. Makes me want to revisit my ten or so unfinished PS3 games.

Fun Fact: You can plug a PS5 controller into a PS3 and it'll work on PS3 as long as it's plugged in. Can't use the center/menu button though (since it'll just turn on the PS5). I have to turn the PS3 off and on to access the menu again. Other than that, plugging the PS5 controller in once it's time to start playing = massive improvement over PS3 controller.

Regardless, I need to figure out why ISF Bright Room isn't available for PS5. I switched the ports around and that didn't do anything either. I doubt the HDMI cable has any effect on this (PS3 is using an older HDMI cable while PS5 is using an HDMI 2.1 8K-capable cable).

Just pulling this out of my ass, but maybe it's because the PS5 is outputting 4k and the PS3 is only doing 1080p. The TV could then be upscaling that 1080p picture.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Ordered the 77 c1 yesterday.

Should be here Tuesday. The company I got it from only had one per store so I had to get them to steal one from two towns over. It’s not even listed on Canadian bestbuy yet.

I am glad this thread talked me out of the G1.

Thanks !

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
55 to 65" tv for my shop office area. I already have an oled and projector in the house. What should I get? Viewing distance is short, like 5-7 ft.