HDTVs

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This has probably been answered somewhere in this thread, but I'm too lazy to search, so...

I bought a PS4 but the TV I have is only 720p, so looking to upgrade to 1080p. What's the opinion on Plasma vs. LED LCD for video games? Any recommendations for either? Looking for something in the 45" range and preferably under $800.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Plasma is arguably better for movies and gaming if you can control the lighting in your room, but it is a dead technology and all the plasma models are being phased out.

I never would have said this 5 years ago since I'm a bit of an AV nut, but unless you are spending 4k or more on a high end display I would just buy the biggest Vizio or similar tier you can afford and call it a day. IMO any display around 1k right now is essentially a disposable good. Just find the best deal.

Unless you can find a Panasonic plasma that is being phased out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You won't find hardly any Plasma TVs under 50" anymore, and the ones you do find will be 720P.. They pretty much start at 50" and go up from there if you want 1080p. I personally like Plasma the best out of all the options, but it has a few drawbacks that can be deal-breakers in certain situations. Plasma is going to have a glass screen on it, so it reflects ambient light a lot more than LCD/LED screens which are typically plastic. So Plasma is great if you are in a basement or a room where very dark shades can be drawn over the windows, but its going to glare like a mofo if it's in a very bright, well-lit room.

Something like this would be great, and well under your $800 budget:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A6999903

LED is also a nice option, there's really nothing wrong with it and high end LEDs rival the color and picture quality of a good plasma, but a high-end LED us also going to be about double your budget or more to get comparable performance to a good plasma. Sure, there are $600 47-50" LEDs, but those will be nowhere near the picture quality of a plasma.

Plasma is also the best bang for your buck as you can get some really nice 50" Plasma TVs in the $500-$700 range. Panasonic is generally regarded as the best brand of Plasma, but they are discontinued and very expensive. LG makes very good Plasmas at about half the price(or less) than Panasonic.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit is getting so cheap now its crazy. You can find no name and even some brand name LED LCD 1080p 50" for $400-$500 now. I bought a no name 42" for one of the kids for Christmas at $250ish from Amazon and it works like a champ. Looks just like my older 47" LG I bough years back for like $1200. I dont think you can go wrong these days. They are like throwaway prices now. If it lasts you 2-3 years and you throw it away when it breaks, who gives a shit at that price?

Hehe, just for a comparison, I bought my first tube TV 20" to play my snes when I was 18 back in like 91' and it cost me $399. My dad bought the grandaddy of them all, the biggest fucking tube TV they had around that time, which was the 40" Mitsubishi, for like $2000. I still have it in the basement. The fucker weighs like 300LBS.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Maybe someone in this thread can help me with a problem I'm having. I replaced my old Samsung DLP with a Samsung plasma recently and set up the DLP in my bedroom. Since then I've added a Plex and a Chromecast as my primary devices, using the DLP's HDMI ports for the first time since I got it. Both devices work perfectly with the plasma, but when plugged into the DLP I get visual but no audio. Rather, the TV speakers give off bursts of static that correspond with the sound that should be playing (eg during dialogue). I don't have a receiver for that TV, so the Plex/Chromecast are plugged in directly. I get the same problem from both HDMI ports, using multiple cables during troubleshooting. I asked Samsung support and all they were able to tell me is that the particular setup I have should having working audio as long as I'm using the native speakers. Does anyone have any clue what this might seem indicative of? Kind of annoyed, as the only way I can currently get audio going through those devices is to plug third party speakers directly into the plex remote's headphone jack, which is retarded.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Shit is getting so cheap now its crazy. You can find no name and even some brand name LED LCD 1080p 50" for $400-$500 now. I bought a no name 42" for one of the kids for Christmas at $250ish from Amazon and it works like a champ. Looks just like my older 47" LG I bough years back for like $1200. I dont think you can go wrong these days. They are like throwaway prices now. If it lasts you 2-3 years and you throw it away when it breaks, who gives a shit at that price?

Hehe, just for a comparison, I bought my first tube TV 20" to play my snes when I was 18 back in like 91' and it cost me $399. My dad bought the grandaddy of them all, the biggest fucking tube TV they had around that time, which was the 40" Mitsubishi, for like $2000. I still have it in the basement. The fucker weighs like 300LBS.
Hah, I can remember the first TV I bought getting out of college. It was a 32" Tube TV and it cost like $450. I carried it up the stairs to my apartment by myself. I had to stop and rest at each step and was in constant fear of slipping and destroying the TV/killing myself. Now a 32" TV is $200, has 100 times better picture, and you can throw it under one arm and still carry 4 bags of groceries in your other hand.

Column_sl

shitlord
4k is sooo far down the road, no point even investing in a 4kTV for another 5 years.

We are still having problems even with 1080p.

I would never buy a TV sight unseen no matter how cheap it was, it's better to go look at it first to make sure it's what you want.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would never buy a TV sight unseen no matter how cheap it was, it's better to go look at it first to make sure it's what you want.
Sorry bro, that $250 deal for a 42" was too good to pass up. And Im glad as hell I got it because it looks and sounds fucking good!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

My 40" Samsung LCD from 5 years ago cost me over $1000 on Amazon. 60hz, non-smart TV...

my brother had the first generation Sony Trinitron, the tube tv with a flat screen (not bubbled) and for 32" it cost him like 1000 bucks. Heavy as fuck too.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My 40" Samsung LCD from 5 years ago cost me over $1000 on Amazon. 60hz, non-smart TV...

my brother had the first generation Sony Trinitron, the tube tv with a flat screen (not bubbled) and for 32" it cost him like 1000 bucks. Heavy as fuck too.
Growing up, I had one of those early Sony Trinitron 32" TVs. Flat screen, etc. I didn't think anything of it, but thinking back, that shit was dope. Great picture! Sega Genesis and Sonic never looked so good!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Buddy of mine had a 32" Trinitron computer monitor back in the mid 90s. It was badass but it had to have weighed 300lbs. It actually broke his desk in half after sitting on it for a few months. Took 3 of us to move the thing, it was about like trying to move a fireplace insert. Just brutal.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They wised up at some point. Mine was heavy as fugg, but it had 2 handles on the top that made it way way easier to move.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember my brother told me I could have his for free... with the only stipulation being that I had to move it. I almost turned him down.

Column_sl

shitlord
Sony had the best TV, and monitor technology for the longest time, they still have the best gaming tv right now.

Wish they would go back to making state of the art displays and monitors again, although their 4k set is by far the best right now so maybe they are preparing to be the best in the TV industry again.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What is everyone's opinion on ordering a TV from a online retailer like NewEgg or Amazon? My main concern, of course, is if the unit is damaged during shipping or just defective. Do either of these guys offer free RETURN shipping? I do not cherish the idea of shelling out $50+ shipping it back.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ordered a plasma through amazon, which is probably the riskiest type of TV to ship, and joined Amazon Prime for the free second day shipping. A+ experience and will be a Prime member for a long time. Just open and turn on the TV before the delivery men leave so you know it works. It is doesn't work/defective, you refuse delivery and they take it back for free on the spot.