Headphones & Audio Devices

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Aren't the MMX300s just DT770s with a mic? Not that that's a bad thing, I loved the pair of 770s I had.

Chalk me up as someone who didn't like the A700s either, even though I know they're kings for positional audio. I haven't liked any of the ATs with the winglet headband, I had W1000s also that I didn't care for.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Aren't the MMX300s just DT770s with a mic? Not that that's a bad thing, I loved the pair of 770s I had.

Chalk me up as someone who didn't like the A700s either, even though I know they're kings for positional audio. I haven't liked any of the ATs with the winglet headband, I had W1000s also that I didn't care for.
ya the dt770s are nice but you get to pay an extra 160 or so for the mic which is pretty outrageous imo.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
No. I owned a pair of DT770 80 ohm and 2 Darth byers. They sound nothing alike.

It's based on the pilot headphone from their professional line, which has nothing to do with the DT770

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Haha, the ONE headphone I completely despised is the ATH A700. I hated it so much.

The MMX300 is okay for music. Some people on headfi say they sound like DT880; I disagree with that statement. I felt the sound signature is a bit too fatiguing, and I have only used it a few times since I bought it.

If I were to buy another headset for gaming with closed back I would get this
Amazon.com: Sennheiser HMD26-II-600-X3K1 Broadcast Headset, 600 Ohm Impedance, ActiveGard, Dynamic Microphone: Electronics

Based on the Sennheiser HD25 ii which has really good sound quality and pretty much indestructible.

Ipersonallyavoid PCI based sound cards. The ones I have owned in the past have some sort of ground loop/jitter/noise/feedback/etc. They may have improved them, but I wouldn't know because I have been using USB DACs for years now.

Btw thanks for the antlion mic. I wished i knew about that way before
Heh, the ATH's were comfortable, sounded great, and were great in FPS's for me. I loved em.

Now the HD26's I despised. Man how did you like those! They were uncomfortable, sounded hollow for lack of a better word, and had piercing highs.

I always found when I purchased cheap motherboards or power supply, I would hear everything form process starting to a constant hum. Once I went with quality parts I have not had issues whatsoever.

Like TDO says...they sound nothing alike.

The headband I found was light on the head. Too light really. Like the headset was going to fall off.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i second the audio technicas on comfort, i have the older version
Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Headphones: Electronics

i bought them, maybe 8 years ago? i needed nice comfortable headphones while raiding for 14hours and i needed them open in case my wife talked to me (raiding at the same time)

i was raid leader also, so i grabbed a
Amazon.com: Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone: Electronics

And clipped it to the side of the headphone wire, since i was raid leader, everyone needed to hear me and i needed to be crystal clear, and i was. the antlion seems to be the best option to get a boom mic on a "real" headset.

Before getting a real headset, i went through probably 5 "gaming" headphones crappy mics, they all eventually snapped or broke on me (i don't have a big head really, just put them on and off).

These headphones have lasted this long, with a LONG ass thick wire. and when i mean thick, it is THICK, i must have rolled over this wire 10,000's in 8 years and it's still perfectly shielded. i did have to open up headphones this year, the right speaker wasn't working (wire disconnected) so i had to resolder new wires, but thats after 8 years of abuse. (and way past my raiding prime)

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
One thing anyone who raids needs to remember too is not to get anything with leather earpads cause that shit is just absolutely brutal if you have to wear it for hours lol

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Heh, the ATH's were comfortable, sounded great, and were great in FPS's for me. I loved em.

Now the HD26's I despised. Man how did you like those! They were uncomfortable, sounded hollow for lack of a better word, and had piercing highs.

I always found when I purchased cheap motherboards or power supply, I would hear everything form process starting to a constant hum. Once I went with quality parts I have not had issues whatsoever.

Like TDO says...they sound nothing alike.

The headband I found was light on the head. Too light really. Like the headset was going to fall off.
The hd25 definitely didn't have piercing highs when I last used them. There was actually a little too much bass. I haven't used the hd25 since I got the momentum though. Are you sure you didn't get the studio version? I've got small ears so maybe that's why neither the hd25 nor momentum bothered me in terms of comfort.

I can nod really hard and the mmx300 won't fall off. Maybe because I got a wide head. I listened to it again and I'm liking it better.

Fadaar

That guy
Thanks for the advice guys, ended up getting a slightly pricier Fiio unit than I had anticipated and I absolutely love it:Amazon.com: FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier USB DAC: Electronics. I foresee myself using this thing for a long time to come.

Only real problem for me now is my headset's plugs for the mic/headphones are only about 6 inches each after they split (entire cord is around 10 feet total) so it's a bit awkward having to set the unit on top of the front of my PC's case and plug the microphone and USB in to the front ports. Would prefer to have the wires go back behind the case, but it's just not possible until I get an adapter and cord to make the microphone plug longer.

Fadaar

That guy
What headphones are you using?
Mentioned it in an earlier post, butSennheiser G4ME ZERO. I saw you mentioned that you really liked the open variant, but I'm absolutely in love with these. Easily the most comfortable headset (or headphones period for that matter) that I've ever worn and an excellent mic on it. I actually got them back in June when my previous headset started to shit the bed (wire on that headset [Corsair 1500] inside the cord broke right next to the in-line volume control/mic mute box, there was no way I could fix it).

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Mentioned it in an earlier post, butSennheiser G4ME ZERO. I saw you mentioned that you really liked the open variant, but I'm absolutely in love with these. Easily the most comfortable headset (or headphones period for that matter) that I've ever worn and an excellent mic on it. I actually got them back in June when my previous headset started to shit the bed (wire on that headset [Corsair 1500] inside the cord broke right next to the in-line volume control/mic mute box, there was no way I could fix it).
You my man have made a great decision....

2urp4qe.gif

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro(250 ohm) over the weekend. Been enjoying it a lot and it was worth the couple hundred bucks(thanks for lowering the price $30 2 days later...) over the Sennheiser HD595 I was using previously. The best way I can describe it is that a lot of music and sounds are now crisp and better defined. Music that I listen to a lot now feels like the bass is muddy on the HD595. Still not sure if it solved my ripping on explosion/gun blast problem.

Powering it with the Fiio E11, considering getting an ODAC/O2, but still on the fence if that would reveal anything. I like the coiled cable because I was tired of rolling over my HD595 cord. But the spring in the coiled cable can sometimes drag my amp around. Any suggestions on a way to secure it, aside from just putting something heavy on it? Not sure I want to glue it down.

Also, question about the E11 itself. I read on NwAvGuy's blog that if you want to get full dynamic range out of the amp, you have to leave you system volume at full. Does this include volume in application like games and media players as well?

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Powering it with the Fiio E11, considering getting an ODAC/O2, but still on the fence if that would reveal anything. I like the coiled cable because I was tired of rolling over my HD595 cord. But the spring in the coiled cable can sometimes drag my amp around. Any suggestions on a way to secure it, aside from just putting something heavy on it? Not sure I want to glue it down.
Have a place on your desk you wouldn't mind having velcro on? Could do that and still have the amp be moveable.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro(250 ohm) over the weekend. Been enjoying it a lot and it was worth the couple hundred bucks(thanks for lowering the price $30 2 days later...) over the Sennheiser HD595 I was using previously. The best way I can describe it is that a lot of music and sounds are now crisp and better defined. Music that I listen to a lot now feels like the bass is muddy on the HD595. Still not sure if it solved my ripping on explosion/gun blast problem.

Also, question about the E11 itself. I read on NwAvGuy's blog that if you want to get full dynamic range out of the amp, you have to leave you system volume at full. Does this include volume in application like games and media players as well?
Pretty sure any digital volume would bring down the bit rate. I don't suggest you to buy anything if you already enjoy your setup. I would choose the E07K over the O2/ODAC if I were to buy now. It's cheaper and much more portable if I want to use it with my Xperia Z2. I doubt I would hear any difference anyway.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I (mostly)enjoyed the Sennheisers previously too
tongue.png

Not being able to tinker with system and application sound has always been an annoyance with the E11. I'd consider a different dac/amp just to remove that problem. I really don't want to have to change the volume on the amp.

Thanks for the velcro idea, Funkor, that should work perfectly.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Keep any digital volume below 80/90%. That's the general rule of thumb. Anything higher you introduce clipping. Use the hardware volume, or whatever is the last in the line of chains for your volume.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why does that introduce clipping digitally? I can see maybe analog where you're pushing the limits of the hardware.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't know WHY it's introduced . I'm hardly that smart. But from what I have read over the years, analog clipping is more forgiving than digital at reasonable volumes. Digital is much more harsh. You want to keep both reasonable, and use the more forgiving analog for the volume adjustments. Definitely with my setup (HD800's WA6) I get much cleaner and crisper sound with lower digital volumes and higher analog.

Not exactly what we are talking about...

Clipping - digital versus analogue, and limiting - YouTube

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Gents, I'm looking to get a good set of headphones. Nothing crazy, or anything. I've been using Sennheiser CX300 II's for most of my music listening the past few years, but figure it's time to upgrade. Primarily the headphones will be used for listening to music from an iPad or cellphone, and just standard MP3's. I'm not an audiophile by any means. Maybe I'll occasionally plug them in to my PC to game with. So I'm not really sure what kind of budget I should be looking at, but it seems like much more than $200-300 would be overkill, right? Let me know what a good set would be, please and thank you.

Oh and preferably they'll be something that isn't "blingy". I want pretty much the exact opposite of whatever Brahma wears for shoes.