Headphones & Audio Devices

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Asking for ampless headphones in the amp thread, you fucking guy...

Circumaural(open or closed?)? Buds? Neutral response, or favoring a certain range?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I did a quick look and didn't see a specific thread for headphones, figured this was just as good! I have no idea on open vs. closed. I'm looking for actual headphones, not buds or canal phones or whatever they're called. I would assume neutral response. I listen to mostly alternative/classic rock, with a smattering of electronic, metal, and pop-ish stuff.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Open will allow other to hear your music. Not as you hear it, but they will easily be able to tell and it will be annoying. I like this feature, I prefer the "soundstage" to closed and it allows me to hear stuff around the house.

I used to have a pair of Sennheiser HD595s. They were low resistance(32 ohm), so perfect for the application you want. I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990, the 250 ohm model. They made the senns sound muddy, so I was quite happen with my purchase. They make a 32 ohm DT990, that would be my recommendation based purely on what I've used.

However, if you want neutral, maybe consider the 32 ohm model of the DT880. The 880s have a more neutral response, supposedly(never tried them). I would stress just going to a store and trying them out if you can. I stuck with the 990s because they are open and the 880s are only somewhat open.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the tips. I'll see if there's a local store that stock them. Seems like the only shit you can find these days is Beats.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
To be fair, the Beats Solo 2's are getting good reviews--even by audiophiles. They're not open though.

Other "classic" open headphones: ATH-AD900, AKGK701.

Fadaar

That guy
Asking for ampless headphones in the amp thread, you fucking guy...

Circumaural(open or closed?)? Buds? Neutral response, or favoring a certain range?
If a mod wants to change the title to be more of a generic headphone/audio advice thread go for it

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I ended up just ordering the HD598's from Amazon. I spent a few minutes looking around for a local store that stocks good headphones, and all I could find is places chock full of Beats, Monster, and Bose. Basically fashion accessories, not good electronics. I dunno, maybe there's some small independent store I'm not aware of. I couldn't really find a single bad review of them, although some did mention particular weaknesses that I'll probably never notice.

On the upside, apparently they're 50ohm, so they would see some benefit of an amp if I go all audiophile.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I ended up just ordering the HD598's from Amazon. I spent a few minutes looking around for a local store that stocks good headphones, and all I could find is places chock full of Beats, Monster, and Bose. Basically fashion accessories, not good electronics. I dunno, maybe there's some small independent store I'm not aware of. I couldn't really find a single bad review of them, although some did mention particular weaknesses that I'll probably never notice.

On the upside, apparently they're 50ohm, so they would see some benefit of an amp if I go all audiophile.
The downside to buying headphones: everyone thinks everything sounds awesome! I spent (lots of)money on this, they're the best headphones ever! Reading head-fi reviews is a good way to induce thoughts of suicide.

50 ohms shouldn't need an amp.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
One review just happened to mention that they could see some benefit from an amp, not that they'd need one necessarily.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
One review just happened to mention that they could see some benefit from an amp, not that they'd need one necessarily.
An amp will make them sound a bit better. Nothing mind blowing, just a bit crisper all around.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Can you explain why? Unless his output has a stupidly high impedence, making its drive strength really low, an amp won't make a difference at that resistance.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Can anyone recommend headphones that have a built-in microphone amplifier? This isn't for gaming but for work so don't need amazing audio quality. Colleagues are having trouble hearing me with the cheap piece of shit I'm using currently. Adjusting the Windows amplify properties seemingly has no effect so I'd prefer have a mic volume control on the headset itself.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have no clue where to post, did some searches, figured hey, this is an "audio" thread, why not.

I'm looking at buying a home theater/soundbar system. Wondering what some good ideas would be? I'm going to budget it ~$2-400. So not the most expensive thing, but something that is still pretty good for the price. Basically, doing something like surround sound I don't think is really an option since the area where my tv/ps4 is, it's connected to my living room / kitchen, so it's probably like a 30ft x 30ft room. I'm tempted to try out something like a soundbar but I've heard that a lot of soundbars are really expensive and aren't really that great.

Basically, there are so many sound systems out there and since I'm not the biggest audio person, I'm pretty much clueless. I see things like...
Amazon.com: Panasonic SC-XH170 Energy Star 5.1-Channel 1000-Watt DVD Home Theater System: Televisions Video
Amazon.com: Yamaha YHT-4910UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater System: Televisions Video

And think they could be great, but /shrug. RR Bros, help me out!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
To be fair, the Beats Solo 2's are getting good reviews--even by audiophiles. They're not open though.

Other "classic" open headphones: ATH-AD900, AKGK701.
Big consumer brands had to start improving their headphones when Sennheiser, Beyernamics, etc got popular with regular folks (again). I see so many people buying hundreds to thousand dollar custom IEMs nowadays.

On to my main point, my brother bought me a pair of Bose QC25 and I'm really surprised the headphones are pretty good. I was always on the Bose hate bandwagon, but not anymore. Overall SQ is not as good as my Sennheiser Momentum or Beyer DT880, but the main attraction is the active cancelling tech and it's damn good. It's comfortable and looks sleek (style never hurts :p). Seriously the best AC headphones I've tried.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Anyone able to help me? I am trying to figure out the best way to set up the sound in the living room.

I currently have a some logitech z2300's as my TV speakers. The Z2300's just have a single audio jack that plugs into the headphone jack of the TV. Now I have added an old computer to the living room for online content and steam streaming. I really don't want to have to go switch the plug between the TV and the computer whenever I switch from one to the other. Is there splitter that would let me plug both the audio from the computer and the TV into the speakers simultaneously?

Jovec

?
Anyone able to help me? I am trying to figure out the best way to set up the sound in the living room.

I currently have a some logitech z2300's as my TV speakers. The Z2300's just have a single audio jack that plugs into the headphone jack of the TV. Now I have added an old computer to the living room for online content and steam streaming. I really don't want to have to go switch the plug between the TV and the computer whenever I switch from one to the other. Is there splitter that would let me plug both the audio from the computer and the TV into the speakers simultaneously?
How is the computer connected to the TV? The TV will act like a receiver to manage multiple inputs to a single output (in this case, the Logitech speakers) with the caveat that only one source can be active at once (iow, if you are watching TV, then no sound from the computer).

If the computer connects via HDMI than that is all you need (cable-wise). You will need to make sure your computer has HDMI audio (basically any IGP or video card in the last 4+ years will be fine) and that the audio source in set to the HDMI device in the "Playback Devices" control panel. You will lose audio if the computer "sleeps" the display though or if the TV is off.

If the computer connects with VGA then most TVs will have 3.5mm audio-in jack right next to it. In that case you'll need an appropriate standard 3.5mm M-M cable.

There are other options like a passive/active stereo mixer or take the TV output -> Computer Line-in -> Speakers (computer will need to be always on). And you could always buy new speakers that have multiple inputs.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the help. The computer is connected with a DVI to HDMI cable. The first setup sounds pretty good, I wasn't even aware that was possible!

Edit: Do I need to buy a DVI -> HDMI converter and then have an HDMI cable for audio to go through? I just have a DVI -> HDMI cable atm.

Jovec

?
Thanks for the help. The computer is connected with a DVI to HDMI cable. The first setup sounds pretty good, I wasn't even aware that was possible!

Edit: Do I need to buy a DVI -> HDMI converter and then have an HDMI cable for audio to go through? I just have a DVI -> HDMI cable atm.
HDMI is the simpliest way to do this, but it seems like you don't have HDMI on your computer.

Some TVs will have a VGA input (old-school analog monitor cable, likely labeled PC IN) along with a 3.5mm stereo input tied to this input. This would be the next best thing.

It's possible that the 3.5mm stereo input on the TV can be tied to more than just the VGA in. It might also be tied to a specific HDMI input. In this case, your DVI-HDMI cable would work in conjunction with a 3.5mm stereo cable to carry the audio.

Using DVI on your computer to a HDMI input on the TV using only a DVI-HDMI cable will not work for audio.

Link your TV model if you aren't sure.