Headphones & Audio Devices

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Anyone got a suggestion for some solid ear buds for working out that will actually stay in your ears and don't go to shit / fray at the audio input without spending crazy money? I read somewhere that certain places can make interchangeable ear buds that are custom fit to your ear (using wax or some shit as a mold). Anyone ever try that as well?

Jovec

?
DVI just doesn't send audio. Barring HDMI, you need a two cable solution.

Now, to contradict myself, some GPUs can send audio over DVI with a DVI->HDMI cable, but basically any card that can do this will likely also have standard HDMI. Or to put it another way, there weren't too many cards that passed audio over DVI but somehow don't have a HDMI port, and I've been assuming yours doesn't (else you wouldn't have had issues). The cable must support this (yours appears to) but also your video card. What video card/GPU are you using? You can try using your current DVI-HDMI cable to see if it works. You will need to set the audio playback device on the computer to the correct device (likely labeled something like AMD/NVidia HDMI). If it works, then you are done.

rrr_img_86351.jpg

This should be your TV's set of rear inputs. You need to plug ina cable like thisto the "RGB/DVI Audio In" input on the TV to your speaker output on your computer. You will of course need to set the correct audio source on your computer.

From the manual, it appears that you can continue to use your DVI->HDMI cable from the computer since the TV will use the "RGB/DVI Audio In" input for sound in conjunction with an HDMI input for video, however it wasn't clear to me if only one or if both HDMI inputs will do this. Most likely, only HDMI 1 will use the 3.5mm audio. So once you have the 3.5mm stereo cable connected, try the DVI->HDMI cable in HDMI 1 first to see if it works. If you currently use HDMI 1 for something else like an game console then you may have to move that to HDMI 2.

You could also replace the DVI-HDMI cable aVGA D-sub cableplugged into the "RGB IN(PC)" input on the TV. You will still need the 3.5mm stereo cable for audio, but this will free-up an HDMI input if you need it (possibly with slightly lower image quality).

Again, all this assumes you don't have HDMI output from your computer.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Haha, so my brother offered me up his old 5850 which has HDMI out. Thanks a ton for really laying all this out though. I really appreciate it
smile.png

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just finished hooking up my new home theater setup. I got a Polk RTi A6 center, A3 front L/R, A1 rear L/R, and Bic PL-200 going through a Yamaha RX-v377. It sounds pretty amazing, and it's a major step up from my old Onkyo HTIB. I really wanted to get a pair of RTi A9's for the fronts, since they dropped to $575 each at Amazon, but I couldn't make them fit without completely re-arranging my entertainment room.

I want to add an amp into the mix some day, but I have no idea what's good in that department.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just finished hooking up my new home theater setup. I got a Polk RTi A6 center, A3 front L/R, A1 rear L/R, and Bic PL-200 going through a Yamaha RX-v377. It sounds pretty amazing, and it's a major step up from my old Onkyo HTIB. I really wanted to get a pair of RTi A9's for the fronts, since they dropped to $575 each at Amazon, but I couldn't make them fit without completely re-arranging my entertainment room.

I want to add an amp into the mix some day, but I have no idea what's good in that department.
If you want to keep to "budget" amps, I think Emotiva offers some decently priced amps. There is quite the lengthly thread over at AVS forums about them. Something like the XPA-5 should work for you.

Amplifiers | Emotiva

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I wanted to start messing with DAC's and the Creative MB3 software, when compared to soundcards...I snagged the Cambridge Audio Azur and the SMSL Sanskrit.

Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 Software Suite - Creative Labs (Software Store)

Amazon.com: Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic 100 - Black: Electronics

Amazon.com: SMSL Sanskrit 24bit192kHz USB DAC Coaxial Optical Decoder (black): Musical Instruments

Sound quality wise I can not tell the difference between the two DAC's. So guys, remember to spend your money elsewhere on your audio gear. A DAC is a DAC it looks like to me. No idea what a $2000 DAC sounds like...but hey.

Gaming was the same thing, when it comes to the sound. The Azure plays MUCH nicer with games as far as load times and alt tabbing. Zero delays in either. The SMSL had issues in that regard. BF4 would take about 30 seconds longer to load with the SMSL
eek.png
But there was zero difference sound quality wise.

Compared to my creative ZXr sound card, I can honestly say that I prefer the DAC's over the soundcard. The DAC's have a much smoother sound when it comes to music It's not even close really. Plus with the DAC located external from my PC case, there is zero electronic interference.

With games, the Creative software does a great job for positional audio. In games the bass when compared form the soundcard to the DAC/software, the bass from the soundcard is much more exaggerated. That's not a bad thing in games really. I prefer heavy bass in game myself. But some might not.

I have always been a soundcard is a better solution to gaming over a straight DAC. Even with the software solutions out there like the Razer and the Creative MP3, I preferred the soundcard as long it was higher end. Now I have leaned slightly toward the DAC/Software solution.

Fadaar

That guy
So if my computer speakers use an optical cable would something like that not be usable?

Edit: Really old set of Logitech Z680's to be precise. They still sound great considering how old they are (I got them in 2005).

Jovec

?
So if my computer speakers use an optical cable would something like that not be usable?

Edit: Really old set of Logitech Z680's to be precise. They still sound great considering how old they are (I got them in 2005).
In theory you could take the output from a DAC like Brahma listed and send it to the analog input on your Logi Z680s (I assume they have one). But if your speaker set is already connected via Toslink optical then it has a built-in DAC anyway. These units just decouple the DAC from the amp/speakers and allow you to send digital audio to a different (and presumably better) amp/speaker setup.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hey Brahma, since you are one of the resident experts here, would you have any headphone recommendations for mostly gaming(i dont need a mic or anything like that, just purely sound), but some music listening, in the ~$100 price range?(would probably go up to even $150 if theres a HUGE jump in quality between the two price points)

And if it matters, I'm just using on-board sound with my PC, I don't have a dedicated soundcard or amp or anything fancy like that.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Hey Brahma, since you are one of the resident experts here, would you have any headphone recommendations for mostly gaming(i dont need a mic or anything like that, just purely sound), but some music listening, in the ~$100 price range?(would probably go up to even $150 if theres a HUGE jump in quality between the two price points)

And if it matters, I'm just using on-board sound with my PC, I don't have a dedicated soundcard or amp or anything fancy like that.
Gaming...that price. Neither need an amp or anything.

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Headphones: Electronics

The HD598's are better IMO. Little more though.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones: Electronics

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Damn those Sennheiser 598s are sexy. Thanks for the links, might have to pull the trigger on those

Fadaar

That guy
Headphones are one of those things you're better off spending a few bucks more, a good set should last you many years.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Do the 598s only come in that 70's cream color?

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have any suggestions for a good mid-range subwoofer? I have a very old one that I want to connect to my CRT system for retro games but I need to replace it first. I prefer Sony but if any audiophiles have a better suggestion then I'm all ears.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm doing some traveling in August, and was thinking of getting some noise cancelling headphones for the flight, but I don't know squat about them. Ideally I only want to spend $50-100, but after doing a little research I'm wondering if anything in that price range would be worth it. Since I don't fly much anyway, I was thinking some noise isolating headphones might be a better choice.

Until I was given some Sennheiser 558s this year, I've always used pretty cheap headphones, so I don't need awesome sound quality. I think I'm still using the earbuds that came with my Galaxy Nexus when I'm traveling right now.

So I'm looking for recommendations for headphones or earbuds in the $50-100 range, good for flights, noise cancelling or isolating, decent sound quality, and if headphones I would prefer they fold up for easy storage when traveling.