Headphones & Audio Devices

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The Kanto 2 YU2GR came today. And they are going right back. They sound just as bad as every other bookshelf speakers this size. They are just too small. Hooking a sub up didn't help because the speakers want to still handle the lows, which leads to a bloody mess in sound.

TLDR: Speakers too small.

View attachment 334150

I’m way late on this, but you’d want an external crossover before your amp in order to define which speaker gets what frequency range if you’re mixing “full range” bookshelf speakers with a different sub.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wife wants headphones for listening to college and youtube on phone. So I'm assuming no need for mic and I'm assuming wireless would be ideal but unsure if that makes for a big drawback. Anything in the $100 range? She's not a music snob so comfort and longevity matter over the best audio.
newer phones don't even have 3.5mm jack, check the phone has it, or just go bluetooth as most headsets include a 3.5mm as a backup option when they run out of power.

i just spent over $300 in returns find a good zoom headset for my wife.

first she said the headphones i initial got for her was too "gamey", then she said the workcenter headsets were uncomfortable, then she wanted bluetooth cuz she wants to walk around and talk

are you sure she doesn't need a mic for zoom/collab college courses?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The Kanto 2 YU2GR came today. And they are going right back. They sound just as bad as every other bookshelf speakers this size. They are just too small. Hooking a sub up didn't help because the speakers want to still handle the lows, which leads to a bloody mess in sound.

TLDR: Speakers too small.

View attachment 334150

Check out the KEF bookshelves. They're a little larger than those Kantos but I love the pair I got.

On another note, I'm going to have to start recording some training videos for an application we're rolling out at work. What is a cheap microphone / filter combo that'd give me decent quality? Need to test out my Plantronics bluetooth and see if it is irritatingly bad. I'm so particular about voice quality on this stuff. Conference calls irritate the shit out of me when people sound like they're in a tunnel.

• 1Like

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wife wants headphones for listening to college and youtube on phone. So I'm assuming no need for mic and I'm assuming wireless would be ideal but unsure if that makes for a big drawback. Anything in the $100 range? She's not a music snob so comfort and longevity matter over the best audio.

I bought these recently since I just can't justify spending $300 on the top-of-the-line Sony. They came with a carrying case which is a nice bonus at the pricepoint. Battery life lasts forever, says it connects to multiple devices. Rtings says it does have some leakage. I've used these on random study sessions and it's been comfortable for those. The noise cancellation seems decent, but I'm by no means an expert in this area. The buttons on it don't seem as intuitive as others that I've used before but I think for the pricepoint, it's good enough for me.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yes we have a jack and no zoom etc. Pc of needed even if she did.
for headsets i've been using this brand, this is my second one

82f81858d0d2e440150d9c5da71b9a80.png

my first one is now connected to my PC (first one works fine... why did i get a new one? this one is updated with usb c, lulz i hate using micro usb)

power lasts a long time, even tho you don't specify bluetooth, you'll probably use it over the 3.5mm which they also include as a backup, noise cancelling is amazing i use this headset for my lawn mower (gas), so i know it works well.

it sounds great.

i will say the mic is only "ok", which is why i purchased a different headset for the wife with better a better mic from mpow.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Need some new headphones. Currently using Sennheiser HD598S, which always sounded great to me. Budget is around $200-$220-ish. Using an old Yamaha receiver to power them. Is there anything in my price range that would be considered an "upgrade" to the HD598S?

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Need some new headphones. Currently using Sennheiser HD598S, which always sounded great to me. Budget is around $200-$220-ish. Using an old Yamaha receiver to power them. Is there anything in my price range that would be considered an "upgrade" to the HD598S?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I’m currently using the Senheiser HD 6XX I bought from Masssrop two years ago. I ordered a pair of a Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro 250. I’ve heard alot of good things about these headphones. Hopefully they sound better than my 6XX.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I’m currently using the Senheiser HD 6XX I bought from Masssrop two years ago. I ordered a pair of a Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro 250. I’ve heard alot of good things about these headphones. Hopefully they sound better than my 6XX.

I love my DT 990s, more than my HD 6XX (which I also own). The DT 990 are very bright though, they sound excellent with a tube amp that is very warm but are somewhat fatiguing to listen to directly from my dac

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I love my DT 990s, more than my HD 6XX (which I also own). The DT 990 are very bright though, they sound excellent with a tube amp that is very warm but are somewhat fatiguing to listen to directly from my dac
How are the earmuffs? They look very comfortable.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wussed out and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 599's, lol. There was no way I could listen to the sets I was thinking of getting: HD6XX, DT 990's or the ATH-M50x. So I went with the set that reviewed closer to my 598's.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Bought a Polk Audio MagniFi 2 which is a soundbar and sub. It broke within a day. Their support sucks ass. They’re going to send me a new one, but I figure it’ll suck ass too.

Any suggestions as a replacement?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've been eyeing the new vizio M soundbars specifically the M512a-h6.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system waaaay back in the early 2000's. The pre amp and main amp finally died about 2yrs ago. Great, long lasting system. So when doing anything on the computer I've been using headphones. Ordered a new set of the Pro Media which arrived today. Hearing music / games through a speaker system again after 2yrs was pretty jarring, made think the system was faulty at first, but they are working just fine. Its a matter of getting the satellites in the proper place for good sound. Though I do think they are lacking a bit in the lower mid range. Going to have to take a couple days and re arrange the gaming setup.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I need a set of good 2.1 speakers for my PC that are WIRELESS. I don't know why I'm having such a difficult time finding this. The only acceptable cables are for power, that's it. I can't have anything running from the speakers to the subwoofer or speakers to the computer.