Headphones/Headsets

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I beast the M50's, and for the money they seem pretty amazing. Definitely better than my old in ear Bose headphones.

Anyone have a good rec on a pair of workout/training earphones? I havehttp://www.radioshack.com/product/in...sAAA&gclsrc=dsand they are fucking terrible. Didn't hold their shape for more than a month, and the sound has always been quite low.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
I have a pair of

HD 650

HiFiMAN HE-400

andSR325iswith theG-Cushion

I like the deep bass of the Grados, the new cushion makes them great for long periods, the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. The HE-400s have a wider sound stage, they are great at everything, bass, highs, etc. But the Grados have more bass. The construction is fantastic, they are heavy and sit well on my head, the leather cushions feel great. They are not as comfortable as the other two, though. The 650s have the best highs and lack a little on the bass, but more then make up for it. They are the lightest of the two. Classical music sounds amazing on them, same with light trance. I would suggest getting an aftermarket cord, the stock is way too long and gets caught easily, but that is more of a personal issue.

I'm powering these headphones with the modi / magni which is the entry level hifi gear from schiit. I will be purchasing the lyr / bifrost next month so that should improve the sound quiet a bit.

Turtle Beach X12's are purdy good. I also own a pair of Sony wireless headphones, but they give off this static sound that is annoying and sometimes the sound will cut out all together and blast your ears with white noise

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm powering these headphones with the modi / magni which is the entry level hifi gear from schiit. I will be purchasing the lyr / bifrost next month so that should improve the sound quiet a bit.
If you do upgrade and want to sell your modi / magni I might be interested. I almost bought that set a few weeks back.

Vymm_sl

shitlord
I have a set of Astro A40s with the mixamp. I have had them for a few years now and have enjoyed them. Probably not as good as some studio sets for sound quality but combo with mixamp does in fact make it very gamer friendly. Very comfortable to wear for hours at a time. Good directional sounds for PVP or FPS. A lot of fun to customize the tags as well for when you travel to LANs or showing off to other pals.

Vymm

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have these, they're probably the best earbuds I've owned.
I've had them for a couple weeks now. I work in a lab with tons of servers running 5x-7x fans each, so it's extremely loud. I wanted a dual-purpose headphone and noise-cancelling ear plug type thing. These had great reviews for that. I'm wearing them about 8-10 hours per day and sometimes I take breaks and put in real ear plugs.

They are extremely comfortable. I won't lie, after 10 hours my ears get a little sore.. but I feel with other IEM's they would be really hurting.

The sound quality is absolutely crazy. I did not know that "ear buds" could sound so good. Great bass response and a nice balance of highs, mids, and lows.

You really have to get a good seal with these or the sound will be shit. The best way I found was insert it with one hand and with the other sort of pull on your ear lobe so it can really get into the canal. You can feel it when you go to pull it out and it is suctioned in. If the suction is too strong occasionally it will be a little uncomfortable when pulling them out.

Absolutely worth the price of buying if you were looking for in ear monitors. Best pair of headphones I've ever owned.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I've had these clip-on Audio Technicas for four years now. Love them to death. Perfect for the office. Wrap them up in their case every night and haven't had any cable problems or anything.

Audio-Technica ATH-EW9

Daeft_sl

shitlord
Where do you guys usually go to buy headphones? It's been a while since I've had to buy any tech gear. I used to hit up NCIX since they have a branch in my city.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Bumpage.

I keep having horrible luck with headphones. Maybe its because I keep buying Turtle beach, but every single pair has broken where the headband and earmuffs connect. All these connections seem to be literally just plastic and glue, so after putting on and taking off so many time they just snap(I do have a slightly larger then normal head).

Anyone have any recommendations for decent headphones(probably anywhere from 50-$150) that are good construction. I would love to find a pair of headphones that are metal construction at the joints but can't seem to find any. Doesn't have to be super duper sound quality, I just use them for gaming/music on the PC.

Would prefer if I can find them at a physical store(so I don't have to wait for on-line delivery).

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Hmm cool, and only 70 bucks on amazon, instead of the 100 through sony.

Wish I could handle them before buying, would love to see how the joints are made.

Do you just use a clip on mic or some kind of desktop mic for VOIP, with those?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
while they do have plastic on them, I think they make these things with replaceable parts most all hinges do seem to be metal. I know for sure you can buy replacement parts.http://www.bakon.org/sony-mdr-7506-s....1-2002-07.pdf

Wait its the MDR-7506 not the V6 that I linked...

These...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-P.../dp/B000AJIF4E

I kid you not, Ive had these things since 1997 when my then girlfriend, now my wife, got them for me. I use them at work and at home.

Edit: Looking at both, there does not seem to be a difference between the two in bod design, just the magnets, so not sure which is better the 7506 or the V6.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
What games do you play? Does it matter if they are open(sound leaks both ways) or closed? Is a lot of bass important to you? Is a desktop mic an option or do you want a mic on the headset?

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
while they do have plastic on them, I think they make these things with replaceable parts most all hinges do seem to be metal. I know for sure you can buy replacement parts.http://www.bakon.org/sony-mdr-7506-s....1-2002-07.pdf

Wait its the MDR-7506 not the V6 that I linked...

These...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-P.../dp/B000AJIF4E

I kid you not, Ive had these things since 1997 when my then girlfriend, now my wife, got them for me. I use them at work and at home.

Edit: Looking at both, there does not seem to be a difference between the two in bod design, just the magnets, so not sure which is better the 7506 or the V6.
They're functionally identical. The 7506 is marketed towards mixing pros and has gold plating on the connector, otherwise I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same.

Agreed they're fantastic headphones. I've had a set for 15+ years, the only thing I've had to replace is the pads. I put a set of Beyer pads on, makes them even more comfortable.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I'll have to look into those then. I have only ever used headphones with attached mics, but I don't see a issue using a desktop or most likely a clip on mic.

I just want something that will last, instead of putting $60 out constantly only for the cheap plastic to snap after 1-2 months.