Headphones/Headsets

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sennheiser HD's are great. I have two different pairs, not sure on model numbers. They're made of plastic I guess, and I have an abnormally large head, but I've never had a problem with them at all. Only issue I have is the cable appears to be at least 150 feet long.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Light wireless headset - what to get?
Right now I'm using a pair of Sennheiser PX100-II @ my gaming rig. I'm annoyed with the short wire, the extension wires keep getting borked. Also my 9 mo girl finds the the wires to be of increasing interest. So, I need something wireless - like the PX100-II I'm looking for a set:

- wireless / bluetooth (bandwidth?)
- light
- supra aural, not circumaural
- pref. rechargable via micro usb - maybe also while wearing them in case of low battery?
- decent quality with the above in mind
- don't care about microphone. If it's not there, it's lighter.

What do you guys use / recommend?

Cheers

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
How important are amps? I've never had one and know nothing about them. What do they actually do? I have a pair of HD280 - would an amp make them sound better out of the laptop? What about out of my phone? Do they make cheap $20 earbuds sound better?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
No, an amp will do nothing for your HD280's but make them louder and maybe ruin them. Rule of thumb I usually go by is that if the headphones are 80 or less impedance, they don't need an amp. They are made to be played via an iPhone/Pod or something similar. I forget what they HD280's rate at...but it's fairly low. This explains impedance better than I ever could.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/...explained.html

Amps are sometimes needed to give power to your headphones. Some headphones need lots of juice to sound good and "get loud". You may see terms like "hard to drive" floating out there for headphones. This means that they need a damn good amp with lots of juice to power them.

HiFiMan HE600's you need an amp from heaven to drive them properly. Sennheiser HD558's for example sound great off a fisher price "her 1st MP3 player".

Devlin

Golden Squire
Just gone ahead and ordered some HD650's, already have a Fiio e9/e7 combo so I'm not hugely desperate for a new amp but I'm twitchy for one.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Long time since we had discussion in this thread, but my new baby boy broke my Sennheiser headphones ripping on the cord. The mic stopped working, so I had to pick up something new, on the cheap.

Picked up:Amazon.com : Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset : Video Game Headsets : Electronics

Extremely impressed. Bass is bumping, sound is good, and for me, I can't have any closed headphones that cover the ears because my ears get extremely hot. These are comfy on the ears, and I don't get hot.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone interested in a pair of my used Grado GS1000i? They are about 4 years old and in perfect shape. I just replaced the foam cups. Still have the original box / certificate. Looking for $600. ($1k new)

They are very highly reviewed and some of the best for classic / opera. HUGE soundstage. I take PayPal.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Hate to bump...But great deal.

35% off at Sennheiser. Use the promo code 35OFFSENN at Sennheiser.com. Looks like it's till years end.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks man, that's a great deal Brahma. Unfortunately, just bought a pair of used Westone 4R. They seriously sound better than my UEPro 10 CIEM.

Jovec

?
I've been debating Sennheiser PC 363Ds, mainly for the XXL cup size and open acoustic design (and USB option is nice). I think that closed acoustic designs hurt my ear after a while due to sound pressure. Anyway, while checking prices I came across these that seem like good deals:

Newegg has HD 439sfor $40 after promo code EMCWHWD22 (which I think is good until 12/21).

Amazon has the discontinued PC 350 SEfor $127. I believe these are essentially the same as the G4me Zeros that go for $190-$250. Collapsible and come with a case.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I use the 439's as my computer headphones. While they are super comfortable, I don't know if they would solve your sound pressure issues. They are also closed and the cups are actually relatively small since they were meant to be worn outside. If you're looking for some open big cups, take a look at something like these. At least until Brahma comes and trumps me :p

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-AD900X Open-Back Audiophile Headphones: Electronics

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a pair of jaybird bluebudsxAmazon.com: JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black: Cell Phones Accessoriesthey are pretty good. I've had them for over a year and encountered zero issues. They are quiet expensive. Their are a lot of options now that are cheaper. Mpow makes a quality clone from what I hear.Amazon.com: Mpow Accessories
I got these (BlueBuds) for my wife and she really likes them a lot. They're expensive, but she mainly uses them for running in the basement on the treadmill so I don't know how good the quality is if you do more than that. Audio sounds fairly shitty compared to my Klipsch S4's.