Health Care Thread

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Single payer has no incentive to improve or change.

Healthcare no matter how its provided is very expensive and in the long term has a 100% failure rate. Why would'nt your healthcare provider let you die a bit sooner if it saves money?
I agree. Poor people should be euthanized before becoming a drain. Probably around 60 years old, it is time for government mandated euthanasia unless you have at least $1 million in savings to retire on.

Fixes Social Security too.

rrr_img_57120.jpg

Chesire_sl

shitlord
I agree. Poor people should be euthanized before becoming a drain. Probably around 60 years old, it is time for government mandated euthanasia unless you have at least $1 million in savings to retire on.

rrr_img_57120.jpg
Sounds good until it dawns on a few hundred people that a hundred shape charges or so will take down most of the power grid ). Now that would really clean the gene pool right up.

I would simply emigrate long before that , someplace where I could live like a king for 80000 or so well into my 80's.

To be honest though making it too age 65 outside of the franchised world is quite the challenge , around 8 % actually make it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

rrr_img_57120.jpg
Is that Logan's Run? Been such a long time...

Vaclav

Yea, pic did nothing for me was just translating the allusion you made into originalBSG era TV for a guess - gogo Jeopardy skills.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Likely true, especially in Arizona where sedated illegals have been deported while under sedation.
So many things to like about arizona. I wish I could believe this too.

Single payer has no incentive to improve or change.
Worse than that, it's disincentivized to improve or change. The bureaucrats who run it won't allow it.

Vaclav

Do a search for "Hospital Deportations", it's a real thing - a few other places have done it too, but Arizona lawmakers condone it - most other places told the hospitals to cut it out once they got wind.

And Single Payer is quite motivated to improve - that's like saying the Fed isn't motivated to work on better military projects since we're already at the time by a mile for military technology. If Single Payer isn't motivated to improve why did England for example go from one of the worst places to get a knee replacement surgery to literally the BEST IN THE WORLD? [And similar with Sweden being at the top of the pile for neurologic, although I'm not sure if they were always good or if they improved - might have always been awesome at it even pre-SP]

Motivated to figure out savings is a more rational argument but usually the Fed does try to save money as well, just once they do they funnel the savings into something else creating a net zero gain when it comes to finances, but a gain when it comes to service provided.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
If Single Payer isn't motivated to improve why did England for example go from one of the worst places to get a knee replacement surgery to literally the BEST IN THE WORLD? [And similar with Sweden being at the top of the pile for neurologic, although I'm not sure if they were always good or if they improved - might have always been awesome at it even pre-SP]
Citation needed

Vaclav

Knee replacement - NHS Choicesmost per capita in the world, with some of the lowest costs in the world as well thanks to the bargaining power of the nation as a whole being used for all the knee clinics.

It's a pretty well known phenomena if you're at all in touch with medicine especially amongst elderly circles of such.

And to clarify, as they do on the website - I'm referencing TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT - not sure if partials end up in someone else's wheelhouse, but England is top of the pile for TKRs.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
This isn't about the ACA but it is about how costs for health care keep rising at unsustainable rates due in part to greed.Log In - The New York Times

The scorecards, according to one whistle-blower lawsuit, were just one of the many ways that Health Management Associates, a for-profit hospital chain based in Naples, Fla., kept tabs on an internal strategy that regulators and others say was intended to increase admissions, regardless of whether a patient needed hospital care, and pressure the doctors who worked at the hospital.

This month, the Justice Department said it had joined eight separate whistle-blower lawsuits against H.M.A. in six states. The lawsuits describe a wide-ranging strategy that is said to have relied on a mix of sophisticated software systems, financial incentives and threats in an attempt to inflate the company?s payments from Medicare and Medicaid by admitting patients like an infant whose temperature was a normal 98.7 degrees for a ?fever.?

The accusations reach all the way to the former chief executive?s office, whom many of the whistle-blowers point to as driving the strategy.

For H.M.A., the timing could not be worse. Shareholders recently approved the planned $7.6 billion acquisition of the company by Community Health Systems, which will create the nation?s second-largest for-profit hospital chain by revenue, with more than 200 facilities. The deal is expected to be completed by the end of the month.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I think it's more accurate to say healthcare costs in the U.S. grow mostly due to greed. Healthcare here is a for profit business regardless of what's being presented, and comes with a lot of the inherent problems a system like that creates.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Surgery Center of Oklahoma | Free market-loving, price-displaying, state-of-the-art, AAAHC accredited, doctor owned, multispecialty surgical facility in central OK.

I think it's more accurate to say healthcare costs in the U.S. grow mostly due to greed. Healthcare here is a for profit business regardless of what's being presented, and comes with a lot of the inherit problems a system like that creates.
Problem is that healthcare in the US is pretty much the least competitive industry in the country. Your healthcare is managed and paid for by either the government(almost 50% of the country fall under .gov healthcare) or your employer. A miniscule amount of people actually purchase and manage their own healthcare.

Vaclav

Technically it's not quite 50% for .gov Phoenix, but mid 40's. But still, total is something like 11% of policies were individually managed. (And amongst those, some are individual executive plans where they're still managed by a third party for a CEO or upper tier exec)

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
And Single Payer is quite motivated to improve - that's like saying the Fed isn't motivated to work on better military projects since we're already at the time by a mile for military technology.
Not sure if you're drunk, because this paragraph made no sense. But, the military is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. We're not getting better right now. We are the only super-power left and are resting on our laurels.

usually the Fed does try to save money as well, just once they do they funnel the savings into something else creating a net zero gain when it comes to finances, but a gain when it comes to service provided.
Citation needed.

Vaclav

"Resting on our laurels" = hundreds of billions of dollars a year in military research... are you drunk? (PS - I don't drink and post, I barely drink period - last was... August I think?)

And plenty of times the Fed saves money, they just end up moving the savings into some other project that can use extra money - that's Ron Paul 101 shit. For being a conservative I'm sure you've heard it before from the Libertarian leaning types. If not, you're not versed in politics at all because that's equivalent of asking me to for citation that the sky is blue for anyone that follows politics at all considering it's part of conservative mantra of why big government is bad.... and why "Starve the Beast" via reducing revenue is preferred to cutting programs individually since Starving the Beast forces budget trimming, whereas budget trimming can result in just shifting the savings into another project.