Health Care Thread

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And what he said is 100% true. Of Obamacare, of Romneycare, and of every insurance under the sun. Those who pay but never have a major claim are what allows that small fraction of people TO get claims paid out at current "reasonable" premiums.

His biggest problem, in todays 100% wired, 100% recorded environments, is he's too blunt; he said several things that make wonderful soundbites for the other side and they make Joe Hick in Iowa feel bad about dropping out of middle school.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
His biggest problem, in todays 100% wired, 100% recorded environments, is he's too blunt; he said several things that make wonderful soundbites for the other side and they make Joe Hick in Iowa feel bad about dropping out of middle school.
Actually they make Joe Hick feel that Gruber would have turned out smarter had he dropped out of middle school. You underestimate the hubris of the modern day Hick.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I had a $260 or so monthly credit with connect for Colorado to use towards a health plan, but they just called to tell me that i have medicaid now instead (if i want it?)... but i was told that medicaid blows and i will never be able to find a neurologist if i have it.

not sure what i should do.
anyone have any experience with this?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I had a $260 or so monthly credit with connect for Colorado to use towards a health plan, but they just called to tell me that i have medicaid now instead (if i want it?)... but i was told that medicaid blows and i will never be able to find a neurologist if i have it.

Yes, basically a lot of those specialty services are for life threatening stuff only. My GF is still on the equivalent plans here because her employer has not yet gotten big enough to require health coverage and they basically won't let her go to a neurologist for migraines or an allergist to solve her miserable living conditions for months every year because they aren't life threatening. They may give you a 'tease' appointment or three but not enough to go through proper diagnosis or treatment of anything more severe than 'oh just take some of these generics'.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Medicaid and its quality varies state to state - Medicaid in Maryland covered neurologists for me, I'd think Colorado would be good with it, but you'd have to check locally.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was going to neg you for posting a Gawker link, but the Schadenfreude from that article was so good I practically nutted in my pants.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I was going to neg you for posting a Gawker link, but the Schadenfreude from that article was so good I practically nutted in my pants.
TheCharlotte Observer articlehas an even better pic included with it. You can plainly see the pack of Marlboro Menthols in his shirt pocket for bonus Schadenfreude points. This guy should become the poster child for getting people to vote against their own self-interest; drinking the Kool-aide so deeply that he no longer knows what his own self-interest, and who actually legislates with them in mind, even is anymore. The level of intellectual disconnect he has is staggering.

Better grab ahold of those bootstraps while you can still see 'em brotha. Tell that wife of yours to go out and get a couple of low skill, low wage jobs while your're at it. Telling yourself "it's all darkie's fault" will make those braille lessons go down easier.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Hawaii's $205 Million Obamacare Exchange Implodes | Americans for Tax Reform

Despite over $205 million in federal taxpayer funding, Hawaii's Obamacare exchange website will soon shut down. Since its implementation, the exchange has somehow failed to become financially viable because of lower than expected Obamacare enrollment figures. With the state legislature rejecting a $28 million bailout, the website will now be unable to operate past this year.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh Grover. How have our taxes gone up if every right wing politician promised not to raise them?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The entire purpose behind insurance is pooled risk. You might not be a fat fuck, but you might also slip and fall off your roof cleaning the gutters. Shit happens. The actuary tables are designed to minimize that risk for everyone, and your premiums are theoretically related to your overall risk to the pool.

Now take that, and turn it into a runaway business model where there are a thousand ways to skim, pad costs, and deny payments. That's our health insurance system.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You'd be amazed at all those businesses who lowered the maximum available hours for hourly employees to below an average that wouldn't subject them to fines.
I know 2 companies that eliminated part of their "scope" of work and instead now subcontracts that out so they could get under 50.

The biggest impact on businesses I have worked with is they used to require 6 months or whatever to be employed there to get insurance. Lots of turnover and short duration work where guys expect to jump around a lot. Often they'll ask to get a layoff come hunting season for instance.

I think the maximum now is 30 days or something.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The whole US healthcare system is completely retarded. Do you guys understand that by asking for lower premiums, you are asking for the insurance company to pay out less? How do they pay out less? BY DENYING YOUR FUCKING CLAIMS. But not "your" claims. "Other people's" claims.

The cost of healthcare in this country is atrocious because we have no govt price controls/limits. Pharma gouges us out the ass for drugs. Nobody wants to pay for hospitals but they want the best care when they need it. Unpaid bills in hospitals get turned into exorbitant bills for other patients because they have to stay in the black. Still real hospitals largely lose money.

At the same time you have scam-ass doctors running "surgical centers" and "24 hour care" centers that charge like an emergency room or hospital but have much lower costs. Your insurance pays for these guys to make millions each year.

But you want to make it political and have it be about "Obamacare" because the ACA prevented insurance companies from using most of the very common ways to deny your claims. Which of course raises costs... now they actually have to pay claims. Are you dumb mother fuckers actually upset the insurance companies have to pay claims now? Think about it.

What we need is single payer so the govt can get price controls in place and take the profit motive out of the insurance and health care business.

But you dumb fuckers probably think thats an Obama plot to take your guns. It's shocking how politically divisive you guys can be.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know 2 companies that eliminated part of their "scope" of work and instead now subcontracts that out so they could get under 50.
Brilliant. People should never underestimate businesses' desire to not alter their business plans with unnecessary things like health care for employees

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Brilliant. People should never underestimate businesses' desire to not alter their business plans with unnecessary things like health care for employees
Shouldn't put it on businesses to act in the best interests of their employees or customers. Businesses should act in the best interests of the business. Govt should act in the best interest of the citizens. Wonder which of these should be handling health care?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shouldn't put it on businesses to act in the best interests of their employees or customers. Businesses should act in the best interests of the business. Govt should act in the best interest of the citizens. Wonder which of these should be handling health care?
I don't disagree at all in principle.