Health Care Thread

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Tried signing up for this since I am completely on my own after a divorce last year and my job pays well, but not well enough. $195 monthly credit. Still wants $120 per month just for the damn Silver plans. FML.

Dioblaire

<Donor>
If you don't use anything regular then get bronze for a year.
I would kinda need to at this point. My job is in landscaping, so it takes a toll on me by the end of the year. That, and I'm at that age that prostate exams are going to be need to be done (grandpa died of prostate cancer), so it needs to be done. Bronze package requires a far too high deductibles.

I just took this screenshot. This is what I have option wise. It's bad, imo.

rrr_img_122515.png

Although it looks like they updated the Silver plan since I last looked at it. It didn't have that low of an option when I tried a week or so ago.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There's this 'scam' thing on the radio lately, it's a 'Christian Charity Healthcare' or something where basically they collect your money and use existing charities to subsidize your required care where able. I'm not sure exactly how it works since it's a ponzi and they don't publish that, but given how they state it qualifies for coverage under the ACA but it is not insurance it just seems like a huge scam.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Although it looks like they updated the Silver plan since I last looked at it. It didn't have that low of an option when I tried a week or so ago.
That Platinum plan looks better than a lot of states' silver plans, although it probably helps to have 4 companies competing. Is that through your employer or normal signup?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So unless I'm missing something, in my wife's example. She had premium for like 350 a month. It paid like 25% better on bills and had a slight smaller deductible than the others. Max out of pocket was 6k.

Meanwhile due to aca, value plan has a like 4.5k out of pocket and is only 70 a month. Looking at a c section kid, with any plan we'd hit the oop, so why pay 350 vs 70 month. Like seems broken and the way to go if you plan a big expense or are decrepit in general. Only come out behind if you had many many small 300 bills thruout the year, but if you don't you win v big via reduced premium.

No wonder companies are dying, since aca added that oopmax to value. (In her info packet even had asterisk explaining the oopmax s new due to aca)

Dioblaire

<Donor>
That Platinum plan looks better than a lot of states' silver plans, although it probably helps to have 4 companies competing. Is that through your employer or normal signup?
That is through the sign up. I only make at most 25k a year currently, which is enough to basically survive on, so even these costs can be too high : / (I know, I know I should find better paying jobs, but when you don't have any real skills and didn't go to college you take what you can get. Someone needs to build/plant all the shit rich people don't want to do themselves.) And my employer doesn't offer medical, lol. It's a company of like, seven people. So he has no reason to do so.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I am currently making use of the ACA because the company I contract for has such terrible benefits that the health plans available through the marketplace were both cheaper and had better coverage. What a shitty fucking company.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No wonder companies are dying, since aca added that oopmax to value. (In her info packet even had asterisk explaining the oopmax s new due to aca)
Out of Pocket Max existed on all plans in the past to my knowledge - unless I'd just always lived in states that required it. Literally in 15 years across NY/PA/MD setting up insurance policies for my employer I never saw a single option that didn't have an out of pocket max even in the cheapest ones.

And even for the awful "catastrophic only" policies that existed that the ACA killed even though I never saw one firsthand (my states didn't allow them) my understanding was that they basically provided no coverage until you hit a OOPMax threshold when they'd cover everything.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am currently making use of the ACA because the company I contract for has such terrible benefits that the health plans available through the marketplace were both cheaper and had better coverage. What a shitty fucking company.
I didn't check out the ACA exchange this year, but is it save to assume that if my company offers something like "BCBS Silver 4" that it would be same BCBS Silver 4 plan found on the exchange?

Khane

I didn't check out the ACA exchange this year, but is it save to assume that if my company offers something like "BCBS Silver 4" that it would be same BCBS Silver 4 plan found on the exchange?
I would say no. Here in CT there are only a handful of insurance providers on the exchange so there's a good chance you might not even find a BCBS plan on your exchange at all. That doesn't necessarily matter though because it's fairly easy to compare coverage between different types of plans. The Connecticare plan my last company offered was nowhere to be found on the exchange even though they did have other Connecticare plans on there.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, be careful. Some pretty important things tend to be 'disguised' at plan levels depending on the screen you're looking at. For instance coinsurance rates and max OOP are the particularly important pieces. Maybe it's just AZ's site but some of them are grouped in categories and say stuff like 'as low as 25% coinsurance' but the plan they actually select says 75% on the next screen.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Employer offers a gold plan that I can't afford, but the cheapest bronze plan on the marketplace is nearly double the premium. Since my employer offers insurance, I get disqualified for subsidies.

I'll be paying the tax penatly again next year, joy.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I would kinda need to at this point. My job is in landscaping, so it takes a toll on me by the end of the year. That, and I'm at that age that prostate exams are going to be need to be done (grandpa died of prostate cancer), so it needs to be done. Bronze package requires a far too high deductibles.

I just took this screenshot. This is what I have option wise. It's bad, imo.

rrr_img_122515.png

The Bronze plan is a piece of crap. How can the poor people its specifically designed for ever afford a $6317 deductible?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The Bronze plan is a piece of crap. How can the poor people its specifically designed for ever afford a $6317 deductible?
Well it is kinda a default limit too, if you pay for the insurance your max is 6k per year, maybe it has to be financed or maybe you still default but since you were in the risk pool your default is 6k instead of 50k or whatever it would be if you had no insurance.

Khane

Employer offers a gold plan that I can't afford, but the cheapest bronze plan on the marketplace is nearly double the premium. Since my employer offers insurance, I get disqualified for subsidies.

I'll be paying the tax penatly again next year, joy.
What do you mean by this? The price should be dependent on your income, not whether your employer offers insurance.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What do you mean by this? The price should be dependent on your income, not whether your employer offers insurance.
I go to the NY exchange, enter all my info, which includes if my employer offers insurance and how much it costs. I get told that I don't qualify for a subsidy despite being in the income range. I played around with the application, and if I said my employer didn't offer insurance or I didn't qualify, I suddenly become eligible for a subsidy.

According to the affordability exemption stuff, I can apply for an exemption if the cost of insurance is over 8% of my annual income. The premium for what my employer offers ends up being just over 7%. If the deductible counted towards that it would be just over 9%.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes, the "idea"TM is that companies often pay for a portion of the premium if they offer insurance. Thus if you turn the offer of "free money"down, you have to cover it out of pocket.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm an edge case and will continue to get fucked until some major change happens to the ACA.