Health Problems

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well that was much quicker than we were anticipating. Surgery was only 5 hours and all things considered I feel pretty good. Only issue right now is the epidural is on the fritz. Pump keeps screaming occlusion but they can't find one so they're working on it. So far the pain is manageable. 5/6 right now which I can at least temporarily tolerate till they get me some fentanyl.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
In remission now just fighting age and weight gain post chemo!!

Cool, my buddy got some crazy rare form of bone cancer that usually only happens in children (he was like 35 when it was found). Had to actually go live out of a childrens hospital for a while for surgeries and chemo. Nasty nasty shit.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Cool, my buddy got some crazy rare form of bone cancer that usually only happens in children (he was like 35 when it was found). Had to actually go live out of a childrens hospital for a while for surgeries and chemo. Nasty nasty shit.
That is insane. I thought my double cancer was pretty crazy.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well any cancer is gonna be a crazy ride I'd imagine. When you say double was it two different types unrelated caught at the same time? If so that's fucked.
Two different kinds of lymphoma which is decently rare according to every oncologist I talked to.

You are supposed to have Hodgkins or Non-Hodgkins and I had both.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Don't think I mentioned it here yet... Medicaid finally approved my high-dose chemotherapy. Only took four months to get approved, with two maintainence rounds of chemo in the mean time. Been fighting this shit for a year and a half now, hopefully this finally does it. Probably gotta have major surgery after too (retroperitoneal lymph node dissection), but I'll worry about that when it gets here...

I get my stem cells extracted in a couple weeks, and check in to Detroit Medical Center on July 26th. Three days before my 31st birthday.

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
DC's not so bad. Traffic sucks, sure, but there's a ton to do and stuff.

I will say that her symptoms definitely got worse once the kids showed up, financially we had no choice but for her to stay home. This fall the kids will officially all be in school. I'm not sure how things are going to change, especially because I'm planning to transition jobs in the fall as well. She's doing this craft/etsy thing on the side and doing ok at it. It's something she enjoys, anyway. We will see how the new meds are doing. As of right now she's up all night, can't sleep.

Since you mentioned Effexor as a new medication (an SNRI as opposed to an SSRI) I will start with the obvious re: the insomnia and present the obvious question. The dose.

Venlafaxine extended release (XR) in the treatment of panic disorder

Since patients with panic disorder are often sensitive to side effects (agitation, jitteriness, increased anxiety, and panic attacks) early in the treatment with antidepressants, the starting dose of venlafaxine XR should be low (37.5 mg per day) for at least the first week.

Some lay bullshit on it Effexor Side Effects: Insomnia

Hi, I had the same problem with Venlafaxine I couldn't sleep at all, it's because they are not a sedative. So it becomes a vicious circle, I had to stop taking them in the end. The only way you would sleep taking the V.F is if you were to take two 7.5mg of Zopiclone tablets but it's not recommend and GPs won't prescribe this dose.

Everyone is different but I figured I'd toss an anecdote out there for the hell of it. In the PED scene SNRI are known for energy boosting. Most people in these communities speak of avoiding the SNRI class because they believe its more difficult to get off of them than an SSRI i.e. zoloft prozac and so forth but I don't have personal experience there. Just what I hear.

I can't recommend against it just based on my personal perspective, I just wanted to give you more foreground on the medication so you can make a more informed decision in the future. You should possibly regard Effexor with suspicion here with this insomnia problem.

Last edited:

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I finally peed!

Yes I get very excited about taking a piss in the hospital. Now I've gotta start ripping ass and then I'll be in the home stretch.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Since you mentioned Effexor as a new medication (an SNRI as opposed to an SSRI) I will start with the obvious re: the insomnia and present the obvious question. The dose.

Venlafaxine extended release (XR) in the treatment of panic disorder

Some lay bullshit on it Effexor Side Effects: Insomnia

Everyone is different but I figured I'd toss an anecdote out there for the hell of it. In the PED scene SNRI are known for energy boosting. Most people in these communities speak of avoiding the SNRI class because they believe its more difficult to get off of them than an SSRI i.e. zoloft prozac and so forth but I don't have personal experience there. Just what I hear.

I can't recommend against it just based on my personal perspective, I just wanted to give you more foreground on the medication so you can make a more informed decision in the future. You should possibly regard Effexor with suspicion here with this insomnia problem.
She was up all night because, and I didn't realize this, the Dr actually had her taper off the Lexapro completely before starting the Effexor. So she didn't even actually start taking it until yesterday. It was a pretty bad week, but she did alright considering. Hoping that the insomnia dies down now.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Hey Kuriin Kuriin so you have any tips for dealing with post op gas pain besides walking? Normal pain level right now is 3-4. Thanks gas pain ratchets that shit up to 7-8. It's fucking excruciating.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Hey Kuriin Kuriin so you have any tips for dealing with post op gas pain besides walking? Normal pain level right now is 3-4. Thanks gas pain ratchets that shit up to 7-8. It's fucking excruciating.

simethicone (Gas-X) should be safe enough to take, double check anything with your doctor first tho.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
They're finally ordering that for me. He warned me it might cause diarrhea. I'd rather shit all over myself uncontrollably than have to do with crippling pain.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users