Health Problems

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Apparently the Midwest gives me hives. I break out in Hugh splotches, and these splotches move around, fuck. Currently I'm on claritin, 28 hours a day, some days even with that I'll get a rare breakout. I knew I had problems when I woke up with bloody hands, and made sure I didn't kill my wife in my sleep, only to find out I must been scratching my legs and butt raw.

I've lived east coast, so it's not like I don't know cold, dermatologist said hives just appear for no reason, mine seem to be cold activated.

I can't complain if I'm always just drugged up, very thing could be far worse.

I dated an Asian girl once that was literally allergic to my body hair-- she'd break out in hives if I rubbed my chest against hers. Obviously this was the death knell of our relationship, but maybe your wife's back fur is rubbing up against you when you sleep?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Bendryl works but sleepy, cowritin, good of now

Just a hunch, but try chlorpheniramine sometime... Usually sold as like "ChlorTab" or something similar in the allergy section. It's a nice long acting one that doesn't make you too drowsy, but works for acute reactions a bit better than Claritin. Kind of a happy medium between Claritin and Benadryl.

It kind of blows my mind that the stuff in Benadryl is actually the same as the stuff that is often in PM pain medicine... One for daytime allergy and the other for night time insomnia. Nutty.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just a hunch, but try chlorpheniramine sometime... Usually sold as like "ChlorTab" or something similar in the allergy section. It's a nice long acting one that doesn't make you too drowsy, but works for acute reactions a bit better than Claritin. Kind of a happy medium between Claritin and Benadryl.

It kind of blows my mind that the stuff in Benadryl is actually the same as the stuff that is often in PM pain medicine... One for daytime allergy and the other for night time insomnia. Nutty.
Cool

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Cool

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yea I don't got that, that looks like old white men skin, also if I have to take accutane again to treat anything, I'll just jump off a bridge.

Doc did say ibuprophen might trigger it as well, so I'm just High on caffinnee now too(if not I get withdrawal and massive migraines)

There is a whole host of stuff Advil triggers so its probably best to leave it behind. I stay the fuck away from NSAIDs since my 20's and routinely deny them whether its the E.R., the dentist office, or otherwise. I scoff at NSAIDs they are lowkey one of the most terrible OTC drugs, for all the good they do they come with a lot of baggage that gets worse the older you get.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Lightweights. Wheres my hydroxyzine before bed bros at?

Oldbased

> Than U
Lightweights. Wheres my hydroxyzine before bed bros at?
Got bottles of that stuff. Don't take it because it doesn't mix well with my Klor-Con and other medicines and I had odd side effects like my pecker kept falling off and such.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Knee stuff, nothing major, but I would like input.
In my effort to piss off gravity and lift my ass to pre age 30 condition, I do squats and lunges, and I run. I wear good shoes and I focus on form. That being stated, there is a.new audible and really disgusting "squinchy" noise emanating from my knees. About half the time, it is accompanied by mild discomfort.
Have any of you tried OTC supplements for joint health and if so, what has been effective for you?

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I take Osteo Bi-Flex and Ligaplex-2. You might want to get it checked out by a doctor or physical therapist, though. I've been ignoring Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome for almost two years now, and it has that weird crunchy crackly sometimes painful thing going on that's gotten worse in the last couple months.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
In my effort to piss off gravity and lift my ass to pre age 30 condition, I do squats and lunges, and I run. I wear good shoes and I focus on form. That being stated, there is a.new audible and really disgusting "squinchy" noise emanating from my knees. About half the time, it is accompanied by mild discomfort.
Have any of you tried OTC supplements for joint health and if so, what has been effective for you?

I would caution against aggressive lunging and squating programs unless your using a trainer who know proper form. My wife ended up wbeing th a stress fracture in her fot from a heavy squat, lunge, running program.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Let me ask you all something. What would you pay (monthly) to have 24/7 access to your doctor? Email/Skype/Text? Lets say for simple problems you just call or skype or text, and for big shit the doctor comes sees you at your house or work, and for worse than that you go to the ER. And for labwork you would goto a lab and get negotiated, discounted rates. And how would you feel if there were caps? Like after you initiated communication, say, 5 times in a month there would be another fee (this is to kind of throttle the high maintenance patient).

I just imagine a patient would enjoy that, "Hey I have a bad cold, these are my symptoms" and they can send all the meds to the pharmacy for you. Or "I need birth control refilled" or "I'm due for my adderall refill, everything is fine" and they ask a few questions and then send it in for you. Just curious as a patient what you would expect and what you would value it at.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Glucosamine, Chrondroitin are the go to as far as OTC supps go for the actual tissue of the joints.

The other kind of joint supplements focus on other aspects of arthritic symptoms such as reducing inflammation or providing more fluid to the joint, those I am not discussing in this post as they are arguably more hokey.

Its costly but you can find an occasional deal at CVS under the CVS brand.

“I tell people that if they want to spend their money” on glucosamine or MSM, “that’s up to them,” said Dr. Michael Parks, an orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, who frequently treats patients with arthritis. At recommended doses, the supplements “are generally safe,” he said, “and some people do say that they make them feel better.”

But if you decide to experiment with the supplements, he advised, keep your expectations low. “In my experience, most people do not benefit.”

You can find and fund clinical studies to say whatever. Arthritic damage is pretty irreversible, hence why the studies haven't turned out so great. Does that mean these 3 supplements have no merit? Absolutely not. People do see benefits.

So if you want to be on the safer side, stick with the Glucosamine and the Chrondroitin. MSM is a little more complicated and has a lot more potential cascade effects on the body-- but its generally safe. I'm only adding that last part just in case you didn't want to evaluate safety too much or are otherwise incapable of evaluating safety on your own and just wanted to wing it. Glucosamine and Chrondroitin are pretty wingable. People do often combine all 3 together though, and some products will contain all 3.

Info on these supplements from arthritis.org :

Glucosamine and Chrondroitin for Arthritis

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Getting out of hospital today following a 4.5 week sitting in a single room besides one visit to a TT-scan. I received an allogeneic stem-cell transplant to treat my leukemia. If everything went as it should, I should be cancer free. Here's 2 pictures of the view I had for 33 days. I don't post much but lurking this forum was a great time waster during the weeks (besides netflix and steam, I did get a real screen brought in after the pic was taken when I got in)
Ikkunasta.jpg
sisalta.jpg

Sorry about the shit quality on the pic, phone camera and all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Getting out of hospital today following a 4.5 week sitting in a single room besides one visit to a TT-scan. I received an allogeneic stem-cell transplant to treat my leukemia. If everything went as it should, I should be cancer free. Here's 2 pictures of the view I had for 33 days. I don't post much but lurking this forum was a great time waster during the weeks (besides netflix and steam, I did get a real screen brought in after the pic was taken when I got in)View attachment 159669 View attachment 159670

I just did high-dose chemotherapy with an autologous stem cell transplant in August, for my stubborn stage 3C seminoma (testicular cancer). Was in there for 22 days. Spent probably 16-20 hours a day just sleeping. Didn't eat any solid food for like the last 10 days of it.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Getting out of hospital today following a 4.5 week sitting in a single room besides one visit to a TT-scan. I received an allogeneic stem-cell transplant to treat my leukemia. If everything went as it should, I should be cancer free. Here's 2 pictures of the view I had for 33 days. I don't post much but lurking this forum was a great time waster during the weeks (besides netflix and steam, I did get a real screen brought in after the pic was taken when I got in)View attachment 159669 View attachment 159670
trash the place before you leave like a real baller!