Health Problems

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah I don't think the government that has provided me with almost free cure to a deadly disease might appreciate that :/

I just did high-dose chemotherapy with an autologous stem cell transplant in August, for my stubborn stage 3C seminoma (testicular cancer). Was in there for 22 days. Spent probably 16-20 hours a day just sleeping. Didn't eat any solid food for like the last 10 days of it.

I had relatively easy time on my transplant. One night of sorta high fever, few days of just not eating and 3 weeks of runny shit (ongoing). Sleepy all the time from meds but managed to keep myself from spending my time in the bed and sat reading silly shit like the politics thread. Worst weeks I've had with the cancer were back in august and september when I was getting high dosages cytostatics every week, I got a bunch of cool side effects like an acute allergic reaction that covered the whole body in hives. I am sort of lucky as my disease is ALL, the "childrens" leukemia (80% of patients), treatments weren't that intense but my body still took offense to most of em.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I don't think the government that has provided me with almost free cure to a deadly disease might appreciate that :/

I had relatively easy time on my transplant. One night of sorta high fever, few days of just not eating and 3 weeks of runny shit (ongoing). Sleepy all the time from meds but managed to keep myself from spending my time in the bed and sat reading silly shit like the politics thread. Worst weeks I've had with the cancer were back in august and september when I was getting high dosages cytostatics every week, I got a bunch of cool side effects like an acute allergic reaction that covered the whole body in hives. I am sort of lucky as my disease is ALL, the "childrens" leukemia (80% of patients), treatments weren't that intense but my body still took offense to most of em.

Yeah I had the runs (c. Diff) for weeks too, was the longest lasting side effect other than being tired. Even tho high dose chemo is rough no matter what, I actually felt lucky compared to a lot of the other people I saw in there. Those cytostatics sound rough.

I've heard of adults getting that form of leukemia actually staying in the childrens ward for their chemo, did you?

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've heard of adults getting that form of leukemia actually staying in the childrens ward for their chemo, did you?

Nah just a regular hematologic sections in the hospital, first a regular one and then last month a wing just for transplants (no room sharing etc). Kids I think have their own hospital next door, I did have a 15 year-old roommate for a day that had had the cancer for 3 years already and was waiting for a transplant, they move them to "adult" wing at 15 I think. My age (33) allowed the doctors to give me kids treatment, the limit is like 40 and for some reason after that you get the shittier one.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The daughter has lyme disease and it sucks. She has been on antibiotics for a month now that make her feel shitty but when she comes off them it's worse so she just can't win.

Stupid tick got her a few months ago and we saw no rash and she had no fever.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
lyme disease is a really weird one. its physiological effects are laregly due to the host body overproducing the NMDA agonist quinolinic acid... basically hypersensitizing one of the brain's neurotransmitters.

i've heard anecdotally of people with lyme disease using over-the-counter cough medicine that contains dextromethorphan as a way to manage the symptoms. dextromethorphan is an NMDA antagonist that competitively binds to NMDA receptors, doing the opposite of the quinolinic acid.

like i said tho, it's just anecdotal -- it hasn't been scientifically investigated at all as far as i know. but a single dose of cough medicine here and there isn't going to hurt, and might be worth a shot if the psychological effects are getting to her.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
lyme disease is a really weird one. its physiological effects are laregly due to the host body overproducing the NMDA agonist quinolinic acid... basically hypersensitizing one of the brain's neurotransmitters.

i've heard anecdotally of people with lyme disease using over-the-counter cough medicine that contains dextromethorphan as a way to manage the symptoms. dextromethorphan is an NMDA antagonist that competitively binds to NMDA receptors, doing the opposite of the quinolinic acid.

like i said tho, it's just anecdotal -- it hasn't been scientifically investigated at all as far as i know. but a single dose of cough medicine here and there isn't going to hurt, and might be worth a shot if the psychological effects are getting to her.
We will give it a shot and it makes sense.

Her issues are leg muscle pain and some headaches.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The daughter has lyme disease and it sucks. She has been on antibiotics for a month now that make her feel shitty but when she comes off them it's worse so she just can't win.

I know you said you were doing a keto diet. I have heard a low/no carb diet mixed with a few days of fasting can speed the recovery of Lyme. I believe Tim Ferris tried it and said it worked when nothing else seemed to make a difference. If it wasn't Tim, then it was at least talked about on his podcast.

I realize pro-keto is as bad as crossfit and vegans, but thought I would throw it out there for you for some research. And if you are already familiar with it, it might make for an easier transition to the diet.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I know you said you were doing a keto diet. I have heard a low/no carb diet mixed with a few days of fasting can speed the recovery of Lyme. I believe Tim Ferris tried it and said it worked when nothing else seemed to make a difference. If it wasn't Tim, then it was at least talked about on his podcast.

I realize pro-keto is as bad as crossfit and vegans, but thought I would throw it out there for you for some research. And if you are already familiar with it, it might make for an easier transition to the diet.
She isn't doing keto but maybe we will try her on it for a week or two.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We will give it a shot and it makes sense.

Her issues are leg muscle pain and some headaches.

Then get the straight DXM from CVS. Stay away from cough syrups and other combination products. Should be 30mg gel tabs available in a small bottle. Its plastic cased hanging on a rack, not in a box.

I got one beautiful tick to the back of the head in New England around age 6-7 that was growing for quite a while and was discovered only accidentally. I was never treated for lyme (typical useless do-nothing doctors) and I can probably attribute a few chronic health problems to it. Little stuff like that is when I realized I had to step up and take a more proactive role in my own treatments.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Hey @Synj I had the talk with my doctor today. Got the blood work done, so next time I see him I am going to push for the butt pellets.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Fuck me my hand has been hurting for weeks now. I've got limited mobility in my right hand so I basically had to retrain my body to do everything left handed. I'm fine with it normally but I get some wicked cramps after writing for a few hours.

I've been taking naproxen but it gives me really bad stomach cramps too.

I'm tempted to replace my right hand with a hook at this point. Well not really but maybe in a few years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fuck me my hand has been hurting for weeks now. I've got limited mobility in my right hand so I basically had to retrain my body to do everything left handed. I'm fine with it normally but I get some wicked cramps after writing for a few hours.

I've been taking naproxen but it gives me really bad stomach cramps too.

I'm tempted to replace my right hand with a hook at this point. Well not really but maybe in a few years.
You have carpal tunnel and have to re envision your environment to more ergo friendly

Do a simple test, stick out your arm out at eye level, like a jab, if you're not dead center of your monitor, might have issues

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
You're probably right tbh. I've been getting a load of peripherals to aid a one handed pc user without thinking about the ergonomics.

Using a controller isn't so bad because I can still move the joystick and press the buttons, problems come in when I've actually got to do something really dexterous with it.

I think I've over worked my left hand and I don't have ergonomic support for it.

Thanks

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You're probably right tbh. I've been getting a load of peripherals to aid a one handed pc user without thinking about the ergonomics.

Using a controller isn't so bad because I can still move the joystick and press the buttons, problems come in when I've actually got to do something really dexterous with it.

I think I've over worked my left hand and I don't have ergonomic support for it.

Thanks
Go post up a pic of your work area, with chair

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
finally got a call back from my doctor about my test results from tuesday. all of my old spots where my tumors were look clear, but there's a spot on my adrenal gland that she can't explain. she says it would be basically unheard of for my type of cancer to spread to the adrenal gland, but she wants me to come in for a biopsy to check it out. she has no explanation for why i've been having so much pain in my left flank, tho -- the adrenal gland is in the wrong spot to cause that, and the spot is small enough that it shouldn't cause any pain.

i definitely feel a little relieved, but wish i had gotten more answers.

Well, had my biopsy yesterday, no results til the end of the week probably.

Had my six month check-up scheduled for today, we all forgot to cancel it (went in early because I was complaining about pain). I went anyway since I hadn't had my serum tumor markers checked in a long time, and so I could pick the doctor's brain a bit.

It's pretty much unheard of for testicular cancer to spread to the lymph nodes, so we've been going thus far on the belief that it's probably a non-cancerous tumor called an adrenal adenoma.

My bloodwork today, tho, did not look good. My LDH only is slightly elevated, but my betaHCG went from 1 last time to 26 this time.

So yeah, still a lot of question marks, but that news today about my tumor markers being elevated hit me like a bag of bricks.

My doctor is concerned enough that she's already scheduled a PET scan in February, didn't even want to wait until we officially got the biopsy results back. Doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

What if Lumi is right?

If I have to go through chemotherapy again I might just kill myself first instead.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Let me ask you all something. What would you pay (monthly) to have 24/7 access to your doctor? Email/Skype/Text? Lets say for simple problems you just call or skype or text, and for big shit the doctor comes sees you at your house or work, and for worse than that you go to the ER. And for labwork you would goto a lab and get negotiated, discounted rates. And how would you feel if there were caps? Like after you initiated communication, say, 5 times in a month there would be another fee (this is to kind of throttle the high maintenance patient).

I just imagine a patient would enjoy that, "Hey I have a bad cold, these are my symptoms" and they can send all the meds to the pharmacy for you. Or "I need birth control refilled" or "I'm due for my adderall refill, everything is fine" and they ask a few questions and then send it in for you. Just curious as a patient what you would expect and what you would value it at.

My employer pays something pretty similar called Teladoc. You can call / email / text symptoms and you chat with a doctor. You can send pics or video or do live video chat as needed. I've only used it once when my daughter got a rash all over her body late at night. Was super convenient to get a medical opinion without waiting at urgent care all night. We just sent pictures of the rash then chatted on the phone a bit. They were able to also provide prescriptions but we didn't end up needing anything.

I don't know how much I'd value it if that came out of pocket. No co-pays and convenience factor (no waiting, no travel) made the experience pretty great. Maybe 10-20 bucks a month? My family is fairly healthy but it'd still be nice to have that indicate access to a pediatrician for situations like the one above. I'm sure something like this will become more mainstream at some point as the younger generation grows up. The majority of my family's doctor visits (injury, checkups, prenatal, etc) still need to be done in person but I'd love a service like this to be rolled into standard insurance plans with a discount to convince people not to rush to urgent care or the ER every time they get a cold.

So the short answer is that the service itself is a great idea, but getting myself or others to pay a lot for it on top of standard health insurance is a tough sell since you'll definitely still need both.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, had my biopsy yesterday, no results til the end of the week probably.

Had my six month check-up scheduled for today, we all forgot to cancel it (went in early because I was complaining about pain). I went anyway since I hadn't had my serum tumor markers checked in a long time, and so I could pick the doctor's brain a bit.

It's pretty much unheard of for testicular cancer to spread to the lymph nodes, so we've been going thus far on the belief that it's probably a non-cancerous tumor called an adrenal adenoma.

My bloodwork today, tho, did not look good. My LDH only is slightly elevated, but my betaHCG went from 1 last time to 26 this time.

So yeah, still a lot of question marks, but that news today about my tumor markers being elevated hit me like a bag of bricks.

My doctor is concerned enough that she's already scheduled a PET scan in February, didn't even want to wait until we officially got the biopsy results back. Doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

What if Lumi is right?

If I have to go through chemotherapy again I might just kill myself first instead.
Keep your head up man. We're all just a bunch of fags on the forum but I do truly hope it all works out for you.