Health Problems

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My ear has been completely fucked for about 2 weeks now, and I just finally got them irrigated by a GP yesterday.

Feels so good to actually be able to hear again for the first time in a fortnight. Fuck you earwax.
do it yourself
434f4d8378dfc8d794b2b11624d5cd68.png

it's 25bucks for a really good one, the tip and hose at the end really "slows down"? the water velocity. you can try to put that weird ass cup under your ear to catch the water, i just do it in the shower.

i think i got it one time cuz i had water in my ear and it wouldn't go away (from the pool), used this and it was gone. i use it once a year, i don't see huge ear wax come out like in the youtubes, but it doesn't hurt i guess, use warm water, if you're worried about "bacteria" use a saline solution then.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Feels like someone lit a fucking match inside my lower back on the right side. Cervical arthritis wasn't bad enough now something is wrong with the lumbar region too.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
After having all these veins in my legs killed, I have all these hard spots where the veins are solidifying (?) and in some spots, it looks like blood has pooled there before hardening. Now they're itching like the blazes but you can't really give them a good scratch because those spots are also tender as fuck.

Some of these injections have left a bunch of purple/black spots where I assume the blood has pooled and hardened after the veins were closed off, but near enough to the surface that you can see them somewhat. I just tried poking/stabbing one to see if it was like a blood blister, but it was deeper than it looked and I gave up.

I think they said the body will absorb that tissue after a few months, maybe?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Feels like someone lit a fucking match inside my lower back on the right side. Cervical arthritis wasn't bad enough now something is wrong with the lumbar region too.

Does the pain radiate?

If not (or if it only radiates higher than the knee), but it does get worse with either rotation or bending backwards, possibly facet joints.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Does the pain radiate?

If not (or if it only radiates higher than the knee), but it does get worse with either rotation or bending backwards, possibly facet joints.

Always the exact same spot, i would guess level with my L3, but always off to the right side. Comes and goes very randomly, doesn't appear to be tied to any particular motion, i can rotate without a problem and the PT exercises for my neck involve a lot of bending backwards.

In case I wasn't clear, when I said it felt like someone lit a match inside my lower back, I meant that completely literally. It's not just a random sensation of pain, it specifically feels like intense heat.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Always the exact same spot, i would guess level with my L3, but always off to the right side. Comes and goes very randomly, doesn't appear to be tied to any particular motion, i can rotate without a problem and the PT exercises for my neck involve a lot of bending backwards.

In case I wasn't clear, when I said it felt like someone lit a match inside my lower back, I meant that completely literally. It's not just a random sensation of pain, it specifically feels like intense heat.

Neuropathy?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Any nerve pain down the leg? I had my L5S1 disc yanked out years ago but I get a lower back pain flare up at least once a year. Nothing like trying to fish your socks on with BBQ tongs.

I can tell you that at least for me, prednisone is godly when I get a flare up.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Neuropathy?

Not unless there was local injury from, say, a deep incision or trauma. Pain from herniated discs/spinal nerve root compression usually radiates, and diabetic neuropathy starts at the far extremities (fingers/toes) and works its way in.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
there was an interruption in my health insurance and haven't had a chance to ask a doctor about it yet, but atm im assuming its just a typical fat inactive person thing.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not unless there was local injury from, say, a deep incision or trauma. Pain from herniated discs/spinal nerve root compression usually radiates, and diabetic neuropathy starts at the far extremities (fingers/toes) and works its way in.

Not always. My first neuropathy was on my thigh when I was in my early 20s. Started like Gavin is describing, felt like it was on fire for a bit. It has been permanently numb since.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Got my second round of butt pellets this morning. Since we had gotten a second low T reading last week my insurance finally got the clue that this was a long term thing and decided to kick in. So cost me $0. Yay for out of pocket maximums.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
My wife and I were supposed to go to Vegas tomorrow for four days, had to cancel because the Stomach Flu is ravaging it's way through our family. I know people have real long term health issues they are dealing with, but fuck me being in bed for two days straight with barely enough energy to make it to the toilet sure does suck.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Got my second round of butt pellets this morning. Since we had gotten a second low T reading last week my insurance finally got the clue that this was a long term thing and decided to kick in. So cost me $0. Yay for out of pocket maximums.

Surprised your insurance covers the pellets. Most don't despite covering the even more expensive gel.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Does this sound odd as hell to anyone else? I know little to nothing (mostly nothing) about the healthcare industry.

I was prescribed a medication that you can only get thru one speciality pharmacy, that pharmacy is not really what I would call a pharmacy. It's basically the company that makes the medication.

When I was prescribed it the Dr. said the "pharmacy" will send out of a nurse for your first shot. Then you can take them yourself.

The Dr. was pretty short "You take an insulin shot, no difference, no big deal at all". I don't recall having to prepare for an insulin shot a 1/2 hour before hand and the company that makes the shot sends chemical ice packs to reduce pain/swelling for the injections. My insulin shot takes 30 seconds and you really can't even feel it. These things the need is 5x as large and stuff is 10x as thick and 100x more of it. They overnight it to you in a cooler and such.

The Dr. is very careful that she doesn't answer any questions on the medication at all. All that has to go thru the 24 hour call center at the "pharmacy" or maker of the medication. She tiptoes all kinds of ways around certain topics, like the medication is only approved for certain types of MS. When I bring up my symptoms are more like the type that it is not approved for "That's true, but I'm not going to call it that", and cuts it off. Just seems incredibly odd she prescribes this "fantastic" drug but can't/won't answer any questions on it at all. A drug that's made for specialty only, that she is head of an entire clinic at a hospital for that disease, but I can't/won't answer any questions on it.

Whole thing seems like a giant way to funnel money from the maker to the Doctor if you ask me. I'm sure I'm dreaming, I mean it's only $5k a month (I'm not taking it), and the CEO fo the company that makes it is on record testifying before congress about how they make their money thru people with group policy insurances that they can cover those with no or not enough insurance. That in itself rubbed me the wrong way.

Not to mention the "nurse" that came out told me she could fix it all for a small donation she could do a "lay of hands" before I threw her out of the house, almost physically. I'm pretty sure they get nurses who need the medication and get a discout to do this type of stuff. The short time she was here she told me she takes it and how great it is. Almost like some kind of odd cult to me, almost. I wound up not taking it and after more research there are a lot of effects the doctor doesn't bring up (she doesn't bring up any) or the staff that you talk to at the company that makes it.

• 5WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not to mention the "nurse" that came out told me she could fix it all for a small donation she could do a "lay of hands" before I threw her out of the house, almost physically. I'm pretty sure they get nurses who need the medication and get a discout to do this type of stuff.
are you joking? or is this for real?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Many people in the medical field work for those marketing schemes (Proactiv, Mary Kay, etc.) on the side...so, I could somewhat believe it.

Though, the story seems entirely too one sided, lol.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Does this sound odd as hell to anyone else? I know little to nothing (mostly nothing) about the healthcare industry.

I was prescribed a medication that you can only get thru one speciality pharmacy, that pharmacy is not really what I would call a pharmacy. It's basically the company that makes the medication.

When I was prescribed it the Dr. said the "pharmacy" will send out of a nurse for your first shot. Then you can take them yourself.

The Dr. was pretty short "You take an insulin shot, no difference, no big deal at all". I don't recall having to prepare for an insulin shot a 1/2 hour before hand and the company that makes the shot sends chemical ice packs to reduce pain/swelling for the injections. My insulin shot takes 30 seconds and you really can't even feel it. These things the need is 5x as large and stuff is 10x as thick and 100x more of it. They overnight it to you in a cooler and such.

The Dr. is very careful that she doesn't answer any questions on the medication at all. All that has to go thru the 24 hour call center at the "pharmacy" or maker of the medication. She tiptoes all kinds of ways around certain topics, like the medication is only approved for certain types of MS. When I bring up my symptoms are more like the type that it is not approved for "That's true, but I'm not going to call it that", and cuts it off. Just seems incredibly odd she prescribes this "fantastic" drug but can't/won't answer any questions on it at all. A drug that's made for specialty only, that she is head of an entire clinic at a hospital for that disease, but I can't/won't answer any questions on it.

Whole thing seems like a giant way to funnel money from the maker to the Doctor if you ask me. I'm sure I'm dreaming, I mean it's only $5k a month (I'm not taking it), and the CEO fo the company that makes it is on record testifying before congress about how they make their money thru people with group policy insurances that they can cover those with no or not enough insurance. That in itself rubbed me the wrong way.

Not to mention the "nurse" that came out told me she could fix it all for a small donation she could do a "lay of hands" before I threw her out of the house, almost physically. I'm pretty sure they get nurses who need the medication and get a discout to do this type of stuff. The short time she was here she told me she takes it and how great it is. Almost like some kind of odd cult to me, almost. I wound up not taking it and after more research there are a lot of effects the doctor doesn't bring up (she doesn't bring up any) or the staff that you talk to at the company that makes it.

What's the medication?

Just based on what you've said, I'd stay the hell away.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Copaxone. I'm not on it for other reasons. I'm not a fan of having all the information being funneled to the patient thru the company that makes it.

The doctor saying there are no side effects and such really bugged me. I mean people pay an extra $3,500 per month to get the injections down to 3 times a week instead of every dayfor a reason. So $1500/month for shorts every day. Or $5,000 month to only have to take it 3 times a week. But it's just like taking an insulin injection, yeah right.

When I asked shared solutions (the company that fronts for the maker Teva) why I couldn't just take (2) 20mg shots 3 times a week instead of the 40mg that cost more than 3 times as much you would have thought the world had ended "OH NO don't even ask that question" was the response no shit from the professional I talked to.

Then the Dr. gave me the prescription it was "You take insulin, no different". Here's shared soutions phone number, but they will call you and set up the nurse coming to your house. When I googled shared solutions the first thing that came up then was how to get them to stop calling. I'm sure most of it is nothing I just expect a Dr. giving a prescription to be able to answer the most basic questions, but apparently all questions have to be go thru shared solutions, which I assume comes from the CEO's deal on how they make money from people with good insurance from larger companies/pools and "share" it with people with less insurance. No, seriously it's not but it just comes off that way.

Last edited:

Borzak

are you joking? or is this for real?

It's real. I found it "odd" to start with the nurse they send couldn't be just a nurse. It had to be their nurse. Also you coudn't take the first injection at the office of the Dr. that prescribe it. Once you get the shipment overnighted they would send "their" nurse. The nurse mentioned several times she was on the copaxone. Then went into a deal about her church. I told her several times I wasn't interested in hearing about her church while she was a guest in my home. When I said that she told me for a small donation she could lay on hands and fix it. That's when she was asked to leave. She wanted to keep talking about the lay on hands I got more to the point of get the fuck out. Told her to leave the giant pile of stuff she brought that was for me and take the rest of it and leave. The amount of stuff she brought for me to take one shot (the auto injection deal they make) had come with the copaxone shipment, but the other stuff took her 3 trips to the car and back in to get all the stuff. I don't know for sure but I think the nurse got the copaxone for free or reduced for doing these deals where she obverves you taking the first shot. In case something bad happens I assume and some people may really need help with the auto injection thing or fear injections.

I wound up not getting on the stuff for a variety of reasons. I also didn't like how they wanted you to call 2 days before you ran out and they would overnight your stuff. They also made it abundantely clear once you start don't stop, don't miss a day and such. 2 day notice seemed pretty short to me. I mean at the time (this was 2 years ago, my stuff is about to expire so I did some more research on it) nearby town was flooding and shipments were delayed. I can imagine a hurricane like just happened would have had the same effection.

Last edited:

Wrath

Molten Core Raider
Have you tried any other MS drugs before since there are quite a few? I would get a second opinion if this was the first or even second drug the doc suggested since there are multiple other drugs that could be used. However, capoxone is a very specific cocktail of protein to immunosupress MS so I could also see how only one drug company has a patent on the drug and is manufacturing it. But all in all, if anything seems fishy its not unreasonable to get a second opinion if that is possible for you. That nurse though seems super unprofessional, if you could report her, you would be doing other patients a great service.

If you want any info on the capoxone, I have access to a website called uptodate which is the first line reference that almost every physician uses that I can give you more information on it.