Health Problems

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
As I said, you can achieve the same effect of Gunnars just through adjusting your monitor or using software to tint the screen. In order of priority to help vision fatigue:

'Flicker Free' monitor Flicker Free Monitor Database - TFTCentral
Adjust monitor brightness to fit the ambient light (Most people have theirs up twice as high as it should be)
Look away from the screen often
Have a correct viewing angle to the screen (looking up is incredibly tiring, looking down is not)
Check for tension headache issues like shoulder/neck posture
Using software to dim the screen like f.lux
Talk to your optometrist
Poking your eyes out
Gunnars

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Dom's rantings aside, I got these 2 years ago for $9 because I was having major vision fatigue and moving pictures were swimming occasionally.

Amazon Sign In

Don't know why they are almost twice as expensive now, but I wear them any time I game on my computer and it has done wonders for the fatigue.

I agree with Dom, though, that you shouldn't buy Gunnars because they are ridiculously overpriced. I didn't want to use software to change the color scheme, so I bought cheap ass glasses and they have been great.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think I've got 3 colds in a row now over 2 weeks. Either that or I'm seriously dying. I'll be getting better then BAM sick as fuck again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I had my first scan after starting treatment and at the very least it has stopped growing. Hopefully next scan will start to show shrinkage.
Chemo hasn't been too bad. Pretty much just fatigue and the worst of it the 2-3 days after treatment. Feel better just in time to be poisoned again.
On top of that I started passing a kidney stone last Tuesday. This is exactly the kind of pain I'd wish on my worst enemy. It's not the most severe pain I've felt but goddamn it is definitely up there with the most constant, relentless, and utterly miserable pain I've felt.
It has got to be close to passi g because the pain that brought me to the ER today is all in the pubic region. Felt like someone was repeatedly kicking me in the balls for over an hour straight. Good ol' dilaudid doing the trick though.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Woof, yeah. It's just the relentless grind of a stone. You want to just pass out, but it's not bad enough to make you pass out.

Cancer treatments have come a long way in even the past ten years. Hopefully it will start to shrink.

Nobody's talking about cutting you open. Silver linings I guess but that's a good thing.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I had a follow up with a urologist today and had another xray done. After 2 weeks and ridiculous pain this stone has barely moved. It's still pretty high up so we'll give it 1 more week and if there's no progress a stent will be placed. Not super happy about the xray results. Really felt like this thing has been plowing through me. Ugh

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Woefully Inept Woefully Inept that chemo drugs do they have you on?

Crazily enough, I also had a simultaneous kidney stone when I first got cancer. And yeah, damn it sucked. Mine was probably a pure coincidence, I don't think testicular cancer usually presents with kidney stones. Didn't make it any less miserable. Hang in there.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I am on vinorelbine. As far as side effects go they are mild compared to shit like adriamycin which basically just kills you and the cancer and you hope to just last longee than the cancer does. Hit my life time limit on that.
I can manage the fatigue and constipation easily enough. I'm glad I don't have to deal with mouth/butt hole sores (yes it's horrific) or severe nausea this time around. Hair loss is LOL at this point. Shave my head anyway so I always look like a chemo patient.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I almost did a clinical trial for a new formulation of vinorelbine, "liposomal vinorelbine," since my name just came up on the waiting list for it a couple weeks ago. I ended up passing on it for the time being tho, since my doctor and I figured we haven't given my current chemo drugs a full chance. (They're working better than we thought they would, we figured they would just be buying me some more time, thus the waiting list)

It did sound like vinorelbine wasn't so bad side-effect wise when I read about it, at least compared to some of the other shit I've been on in the past. Glad it's manageable for you man.

(I'm currently on oxalaplatin+gemcitabine btw)

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And hey, I know it sounds like Lumie-ism, but the ketogenic diet has really been working well for my cancer. My serum tumor markers went from 93 to 5 after being on the diet just two weeks. It only slowed the growth, didn't stop it, but still, something to consider. My doctor was blown away by my test results after starting it, she said it was unexplainable (she refused to believe it was the diet heh)

• 2Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
And hey, I know it sounds like Lumie-ism, but the ketogenic diet has really been working well for my cancer. My serum tumor markers went from 93 to 5 after being on the diet just two weeks. It only slowed the growth, didn't stop it, but still, something to consider. My doctor was blown away by my test results after starting it, she said it was unexplainable (she refused to believe it was the diet heh)
My diet is complete and utter shit right now. Back up to 203 from being down to 183. Wasn't doing exactly keto but pretty close. My wife was doing keto before everything went to hell. I'm glad the treatment looks to be working because it's wreaking havoc on everything. Once my wife is done with the school year things should ease up. And we're taking a week vacation to Cape Cod in July which we're all looking forward to. Before then I really need to get my shit together.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's not lumie-tier at all. Nutrition during chemo is incredibly important.

The fact that you aren't going to feel like eating anything is not helpful. And the fact that even if you choke it down you may have trouble with digestion is also not helpful. None of it is helpful. It's all a giant ball of ass.

If you can find foods that you do enjoy, or can at least tolerate, as long as the food isn't MORE CANCER... then i'd eat those. The benefit from simply enjoying food is not insignificant itself.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
OK when you bring up cancer you make me feel really insignifact bitching about my shit. But I'll do it anyway.

Things are bad and I don't know what else to do. So I'm taking a vacation. My ex is gonna pick me up and I'm going to sit on the banks of the Neuces river and solve some personal and world problems, like I have done many a day in the past. Assuming I don't die or get killed by invading Mexicans I'm gonna go sit out in the Gila and just listen and look. Too bad it's not elk bugling season, but I'm taking what I can get.

Hope things work out for you in chemo. I know very little but have seen a few articles that some doctors are starting to steer away from it. When my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer the nurse schedule chemo before she got out of the office with the doctor. She looked into it and the mortality rate at her age was very with difference with or without chemo. She passed and is going on 10 years (she had a mascectomy).

Anyway hope things work out for you.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Sickness isn't a contest. The shit you're dealing with is worse than cancer in a way. Cancer is worse in another way.

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
OK when you bring up cancer you make me feel really insignifact bitching about my shit. But I'll do it anyway.

Things are bad and I don't know what else to do. So I'm taking a vacation. My ex is gonna pick me up and I'm going to sit on the banks of the Neuces river and solve some personal and world problems, like I have done many a day in the past. Assuming I don't die or get killed by invading Mexicans I'm gonna go sit out in the Gila and just listen and look. Too bad it's not elk bugling season, but I'm taking what I can get.

Hope things work out for you in chemo. I know very little but have seen a few articles that some doctors are starting to steer away from it. When my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer the nurse schedule chemo before she got out of the office with the doctor. She looked into it and the mortality rate at her age was very with difference with or without chemo. She passed and is going on 10 years (she had a mascectomy).

Anyway hope things work out for you.

Nah man, I've been reading about your problems through the years, and you definitely have it rough. At least WI and I know what's wrong with us, it's gotta suck not even having any idea what the problem really is.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I am so sorry about the kidney stone on top of things, my man. I've passed a few. The worst part of it, for me, is thinking, phew that's the last one. Then a few years down the line...I get that feeling of impending doom, shit isn't right, then testicle pain. Fuck, my ureter and urethra are about to get shredded.

I think it's genetic, males in my family on both sides and wildly different diets had this. For a few years I tried some "kidney stone-free diet" bullshit that a few doctors had recommended and passed two. Now I just make super sure I'm hydrated all the time and stay away from salty things when I can help it. Whenever possible I order things no salt. Now I'm on my longest streak without kidney stones since becoming an adult.

Good luck, man.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Nah man, I've been reading about your problems through the years, and you definitely have it rough. At least WI and I know what's wrong with us, it's gotta suck not even having any idea what the problem really is.

Just annoying cause everyone pushed the "2nd opinion" idea. I counted up the other day. In the last 5 years been to almost 50 different doctors in person and ones that review my stuff at USC medical and the Mayo clinic. Not once have I got 2 that went with someone elses opinion. Not even the 2 neurologist in the same MS clinic. Only one available as apparently MS is not that common here in the south since they say some of it is tied to lack of vitamin D and more common the further north you go.

Just from the people I've talked to that have had them kindey stones sound incredibly painful. No thanks. I know nothing about them, does the smashing with sound work or is that for something else?

There was a guy I worked with who had them 30+ years ago (he's 20+ years older than I am) and his back is all cut up from the things.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So on top of the chemo and kidney stone we had to put one of our dogs (dachshund) down yesterday. Little guy was just old. Didn't know his exact age when we adopted him but we figure he was 12-14 years old. RIP Stubbs

• 2Thoughts & Prayers