Health Problems

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well, I go in to the Dr on Friday (thanks HMO level dr availability) to see... the pain has lessened a little today...

On completely unrelated medical news, this gave me a real glimmer of hope today.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
What kind of hernia is it? We do them all the time in an outpatient setting and they’re not too big of a deal. The indications for having it done open vs laparoscopically vary from location, severity, unilateral vs bilateral, and even surgeon preference. Likewise the use of mesh vs no mesh depends on the hernia itself and surgeon preference. In an outpatient setting, where patients are generally in good health otherwise, these surgeries take 30 to 90 minutes, you spend an hour or so in recovery, and then you go home.

As with any surgery, the actual surgeon is what makes the difference. All the best instrumentation and implants (mesh, in this case) won’t make a difference if you have a sloppy or incompetent surgeon. Unfortunately, unless you know them personally or work with them or know people who do, finding out who is truly good or not can be seemingly impossible.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well, my Dr can't see me until Friday then i'm going to find out more.

Strangest thing is happening. it's feeling "better", and what's more odd is that if I tense up my abdominal muscles and press on it there's no pain. If I relax my sides and press, then it hurts. Very odd, so waiting for Dr to figure this out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So one of the 'complications' I've had with diabetes is I lost all the hair on my shins and calves. Completely bald from the kneecap down

I've been exercising hard for a few months now. Got a long way to go, but I noticed that hair was sprouting back on my legs

I still have a few mild numb spots on my feet that I don't think are reversible , but maybe I can reverse it getting worseb

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, my Dr can't see me until Friday then i'm going to find out more.

Strangest thing is happening. it's feeling "better", and what's more odd is that if I tense up my abdominal muscles and press on it there's no pain. If I relax my sides and press, then it hurts. Very odd, so waiting for Dr to figure this out.

Sounds like it's retracted and trying to partially heal. By tensing you're closing the rupture, by relaxing you're exposing the weak area. Which is why it hurts if you press on it relaxed.

That's my guess as to what's causing that behavior physically. You'll still want a treatment for it because left to itself it will just herniate again.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
As a follow up. My Dr deduced that the most probable cause of my incredible side pain, which magically just went away within a week, was a flare up of diverticulitus. At least that's the excuse she cooked up.

And now in the next week or two will be time for pellets to get me back to speed before BlackHat/DefCon in August.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Typically diverticulitis pain is LLQ/LUQ pain, however, you can have diverticulosis throughout the colon, so it can be difficult to differentiate. You can't confirm it without a CT scan, though.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So I’m 36, in good health (to my knowledge) and in good shape. Yesterday I think I had my first migraine? Was sitting in bed watching tv and my peripheral vision went blurry followed by bright spots in my vision, as if I looked at sun directly. Within 10 minutes a blinding headache ensued that lasted a few hours... kinda freaked me out... something I need to go get checked out, or does it seem like a typical migraine? Was kind of thinking I was having a stroke

iannis

Musty Nester
Concerning enough to see a doctor about.

If it happens again it's more concerning obviously. If it's a one off, well weird shi T happens and whatever that was wasn't good, but it's done.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Typically diverticulitis pain is LLQ/LUQ pain, however, you can have diverticulosis throughout the colon, so it can be difficult to differentiate. You can't confirm it without a CT scan, though.

They diagnosed my diverticulitis with a CT scan, and after having a few more mild "attacks" (basically discomfort, soreness, bloating, and constipation for 4-5 days) they did a colonoscopy but said my pockets were so few and small, they were surprised I was showing symptoms at all. What's funny is that I have never had another attack since the colonoscopy, and they think the prep basically cleaned out whatever was causing the flare ups.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So I’m 36, in good health (to my knowledge) and in good shape. Yesterday I think I had my first migraine? Was sitting in bed watching tv and my peripheral vision went blurry followed by bright spots in my vision, as if I looked at sun directly. Within 10 minutes a blinding headache ensued that lasted a few hours... kinda freaked me out... something I need to go get checked out, or does it seem like a typical migraine? Was kind of thinking I was having a stroke

No history of migraines or significant headaches warrants an immediate check in to the emergency department to rule out stroke or any other brain abnormality.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean don't freak him out though. But no, you shouldn't be getting random migranes.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Had a 1.5 hr code a couple days ago. Patient had (supposedly) complained of chest pain radiating to neck and jaw. I am assuming that he did not want to call 911, at the girlfriend's insistence. We had to pull out a 42 year old Samoan, dead on arrival, from the car, and begin CPR on a gurney. Significant posterior infarction. Threw everything at him, including double simultaneous defibrillation. Did get him back a few times...alas, expired.

Takeaway: Men need to quit being so fucking stubborn and just go to the goddamn hospital.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Had a 1.5 hr code a couple days ago. Patient had (supposedly) complained of chest pain radiating to neck and jaw. I am assuming that he did not want to call 911, at the girlfriend's insistence. We had to pull out a 42 year old Samoan, dead on arrival, from the car, and begin CPR on a gurney. Significant posterior infarction. Threw everything at him, including double simultaneous defibrillation. Did get him back a few times...alas, expired.

Takeaway: Men need to quit being so fucking stubborn and just go to the goddamn hospital.

Any thoughts on how much ignorance of the real symptoms of things like a heart attack plays into this situation? I'm wondering just how many people (myself included) are able to tell the difference between the common chest/arm aches that we get the "oh my god I'm about to die" brief fantasies about versus those that are clear signs that something is fucked up.

I ask because I think a problem with men being stubborn about these things is partly due to dismissing simple things and becoming accustomed to just bearing it out to the point we ignore the real signs.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
No history of migraines or significant headaches warrants an immediate check in to the emergency department to rule out stroke or any other brain abnormality.

Good advice. Had the aura migraine Monday and have felt worse as week has gone on so ran by ER tonight after work feeling fairly dizzy/weak with a slight headache still.

Did a physiological exam, eye exam etc and all looked good. Attending thought symptoms were very unusual though and ordered ct scan to be sure. Came back clear, but he referred me to neurologist tomorrow as he wasn’t equipped to rule everything out.

Kinda scary, but I’m sure ct would show large tumors/legions, bleeding etc

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
It's not always a stabbing pain in your arm. It can be as simple as a tightness in the chest and a shortness of breath, with prolonged difficulty breathing. You can feel it in your jaw, too, but that's usually women.

Heart attacks aren't always like they're portrayed in tv and movies. But sometimes they are. Sometimes it is that stabbing chest/arm pain.

Strokes can also be not immediately obvious until you see the facial droop. Or they can be super obvious.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, a ct scan would have shown what are the immediately worst possibilities.

Theres still a couple of not great possibilities. But if you've developed a meninginoma, they don't have to actually cut your head open anymore. They can shoot lazers into your BRAIN.

And fuck dude I dunno what all the possibilities even are. Probably isn't that. Just even that isn't as bad as it was like 10 years ago.

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Good advice. Had the aura migraine Monday and have felt worse as week has gone on so ran by ER tonight after work feeling fairly dizzy/weak with a slight headache still.

Did a physiological exam, eye exam etc and all looked good. Attending thought symptoms were very unusual though and ordered ct scan to be sure. Came back clear, but he referred me to neurologist tomorrow as he wasn’t equipped to rule everything out.

Kinda scary, but I’m sure ct would show large tumors/legions, bleeding etc
Having gone through some fun stuff the past couple years, I can tell you the ER cat scan guy is just there to check brain and spinal cord. Literally anything that shows physical impairment or damage in either. Be forewarned about neurology, now that you are not in immediate danger they are going to take their sweet ass time. Best of luck, I know the pain stuff is shitty, hope you are back to 100% soon.

• 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Having gone through some fun stuff the past couple years, I can tell you the ER cat scan guy is just there to check brain and spinal cord. Literally anything that shows physical impairment or damage in either. Be forewarned about neurology, now that you are not in immediate danger they are going to take their sweet ass time. Best of luck, I know the pain stuff is shitty, hope you are back to 100% soon.

Ya I could already see the writing on the wall today with just the referral portion. I drove to my primary care doctor and waited a bit before I could see him to write me up an MRI w/ Contrast order - going to get it done Monday morning and depending on those results will pick and choose my neurologist or whatever.

Not gonna lie, pretty fucking freaked out.... we'll see what scan shows.

• 1Like