Health Problems

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Low dose aspirin are one of those medications that the benefits far outweigh the risks. Continue taking it. I would say it reduces the chances of strokes and heart attacks as it's an anti platelet aggregator - preventing clumping of platelets. I have never heard it decrease risks of colorectal cancer.

It's a pretty significant reduction, about 30-40% by some studies. But USPSTF hasn't given it a formal recommendation yet in any groups other than 50-59 year old adults with a greater than 10% CVD risk because the outcomes analysis is inconclusive, and because it takes a long time for cancer prevention effects to show up (need to take it daily for 5-10 years before the risk reduction becomes apparent.)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No I dropped neurontin entirely. I never really could tell it did anything. I think the most "nerve pain" I felt was from my skin being incrediably dry/dehydrated. So dry you can write your name in my skin with a fingernal and it just falls off. Eyes bleed water from really bad dry eyes. But blood work always shows not dehydrated.

man i have that same shit starting with dry skin and eyes, and the doctors haven't been able to tell me why. gets a lot worse in the cold months, mostly starts on my knuckles and the backs of my hands but starts spreading up from there.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't know either. It's all over. At times it gets really bad in spots. Bad enough I've had multiple biopsies and test for Lupus. The following week or two it goes away and moves someplace else. One day I was sitting outside wearing shorts and the skin was shinning on my legs. It almost looked as if my leg was made of plastic, or coated in something. No idea.

I have to take off my glasses and clean them multiple times a day, on the inside. I haven't noticed any difference in the weather. Of course I don't go out near as much as I used to.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Question for Kuriin. My recent blood work had my albumin at 5.5 which is normal but high side and globulin of 1.6 which is low end of normal but the A/G was 3.3 an said was high? how can you be normal but have a high ratio?

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
The answer is in your question. You've got two quantities and a ratio. One quantity of high, one low, the ratio is high.

When considered alone one is high range of normal, the other low range. When considered together their ratio is higher than you would like to see. These two added do not make a whole, that might be the missing bit. Even together they're partial.

It's getting to the mechanisms of interactions.

It's not the worst possible outcome.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What are some good (preferably affordable) ways to keep daily track of ones blood pressure and heart rate? Something more reliable than a fitbit, but not too much fuss to use would be a minimum.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What are some good (preferably affordable) ways to keep daily track of ones blood pressure and heart rate? Something more reliable than a fitbit, but not too much fuss to use would be a minimum.

You can buy blood pressure monitors at any pharmacy, manual or automatic as you see fit. $50+ for a decent one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Question for Kuriin. My recent blood work had my albumin at 5.5 which is normal but high side and globulin of 1.6 which is low end of normal but the A/G was 3.3 an said was high? how can you be normal but have a high ratio?

Difficult to say unless I have a more clearer picture of your health. What does your primary care say about it? Any referrals to nephrology or hepatology?

Blood pressure cuffs are great as long as they are upper arm cuffs (which are hard to put on oneself). Radial and leg cuffs can greatly vary the actual reading. For pulse, a portable cheap pulse oximetry from Amazon is more than adequate. Healthy adults should normally be >97% - obviously this will drop during exertion. COPDers we like 88-92% -- perhaps a little lower to 84-86% if they are big CO2 retainers. For the rate, 60-100 is good. If you're resting and >85 heart rate, I would recommend talking to your doctor about getting on a rate control medication down the line.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
The pharmacy armcuffs are accurate enough. They also make them with heartrate indicators.

You just want to keep a little book. Try to keep your measures around the same timeframe (BP varies throughout the day as well as based on activity). You are interested in resting BP but you also want to know where your BP is capping. So take it after some physical stress to see.

You will probably run higher at one point in the day than another. Some people are higher in the mornings, other higher in the evenings. That can explain discrepancies when you go to your GP and your pressure is different than what you get when you take it at home. Plus, for whatever reason it's a real thing that exists, your pressure will run a little bit higher when you're at the doctors office.

And don't get crazy with it. There's no point in taking it every 30 minutes, not for you at home. It won't tell you anything useful to you. I've seen people fixate on it.

• 1Like

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blame_Anesthesia_Algorithm.jpg

And if not, well...

This chart is wrong. Anyone who works in surgery knows you always, always blame anesthesia. Always.

• 2Worf

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Anything specific I should be looking for feature-wise?

I've had this one for over a year now and it has worked well and is simple to use. Brought it to one of my appointments and it lined up with that the nurse measured.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
What are the best treatments for a nagging tennis elbow? I initially tore it summer of 2015 squeezing the trigger for 8 hours a day on an electrofishing wand and it has never been able to fully heal. It gets better but it seems if I tweak it the wrong way I'm right back to square one.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What are the best treatments for a nagging tennis elbow?

As much rest as possible and the standard PT exercises you can find online. I had a nasty case from martial arts and it took nearly a year to go away. For my case the best exercise was wrist extensor flexes. The finger contraction muscles were incredibly tight.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
What are the best treatments for a nagging tennis elbow? I initially tore it summer of 2015 squeezing the trigger for 8 hours a day on an electrofishing wand and it has never been able to fully heal. It gets better but it seems if I tweak it the wrong way I'm right back to square one.
NSAID for the flare. Steroid / blockade helps some. Physical thereapy helps yet some. Synj Synj might know if dissektion of the m. extensor carpi radialis brevis from the lateral epicondyle might help you in your chronic stage. I'd get a referral for US by an ortho to confirm the diagnosis and treatment options.

• 2Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
NSAID for the flare. Steroid / blockade helps some. Physical thereapy helps yet some. Synj Synj might know if dissektion of the m. extensor carpi radialis brevis from the lateral epicondyle might help you in your chronic stage. I'd get a referral for US by an ortho to confirm the diagnosis and treatment options.

I have limited experience with the procedure but a lot of experience with tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis).

It’s a nagging injury and can last for years. Treatment includes PT, NSAIDs, bracing, injections. Usual stuff.

I have heard there are good results from the surgery but that mostly consists of re-injuring the area to induce stem cell healing and inflammation.

Pretty good info at this link.

Hss.edu/conditions_tennis-elbow-overview.asp

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just dropping this here because I know we have some people newly dealing with pre-diabetic conditions and obesity.

This is the best hour I've seen that combines all of the current, easily digestible science on how we've been misled about dieting and obesity and why the key to maintaining weight loss lies in controlling insulin levels.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’ve been consistently having night terrors most of this year. They’ve gone from a couple times per week, to basically every night. Lately, the terrors that I’ve remembered have been all of my surgical scars opening up and bleeding uncontrollably. Needless to say, I don’t remember my last good nights sleep. It’s gotten to the point that it’s starting to disturb my girlfriend-o’s sleep, and she’s starting to worry. 😐

iannis

Musty Nester
Well that is worrisome.

I doubt that chemical solutions will solve anything, but they might provide relief.

I mean legit ones, not drinking yourself into a stupor or gettin high.

That's a trauma response and it will take some kind of talking therapy to resolve. But how to get you to stop being terrified of that is not immediately obvious and something that men spend a decade studying how to do. That's a deep, deep physical insecurity.

My grandfather had that after his lung surgery. He'd wake up afraid that someone was coming to steal parts of him. Which is -exactly- what had happened. It's not that he or you are wrong. That's the problem, you're not wrong. But it's a physical trauma response.