Health Problems

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well that is worrisome.

I doubt that chemical solutions will solve anything, but they might provide relief.

I mean legit ones, not drinking yourself into a stupor or gettin high.

Yes? Does bourbon count?

That's a trauma response and it will take some kind of talking therapy to resolve. But how to get you to stop being terrified of that is not immediately obvious and something that men spend a decade studying how to do.

My prescription pain meds following a radical knee surgery were stopped after eight weeks, just in time for physical therapy to start, so... trauma, torture....? My primary care retired/didn’t care, and my surgeon and his nutsack physicians assistant weren’t big on talking, aside from chastising me for a lack of results from physical therapy... 🤨

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean the fix is basically PTSD counseling. You had a traumatic physical stress and your brain is doing what your brain is supposed to be doing. But what your brain is supposed to be doing and what is good are not always the same thing.

I'd stop repressing with alcohol, if you are. That drives the fear deeper and will result in what you're seeing... more frequent incidents. The problem is not your waking mind.

That's gonna suck a lot because you've got to integrate the experience. And how you do that safely is way beyond the internet.

• 1Solidarity

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean the fix is basically PTSD counseling. You had a traumatic physical stress and your brain is doing what your brain is supposed to be doing. But what your brain is supposed to be doing and what is good are not always the same thing.

I'd stop repressing with alcohol, if you are. That drives the fear deeper and will result in what you're seeing... more frequent incidents. The problem is not your waking mind.

That's gonna suck a lot because you've got to integrate the experience. And how you do that safely is way beyond the internet.

That doesn’t sound pleasant at all, but it makes a lot of sense.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
That doesn’t sound pleasant at all, but it makes a lot of sense.

Before I say this, let me give a very large:

I AM NOT A DOCTOR

So now that is out of the way, there has been a lot of success treating PTSD with psychedelics like MDMA and DMT. Keep that in mind if traditional therapy doesn't work for you, but make sure to talk to your doctors about it. I certainly don't suggest just going out and dropping acid and thinking that will cure you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Before I say this, let me give a very large:

I AM NOT A DOCTOR

So now that is out of the way, there has been a lot of success treating PTSD with psychedelics like MDMA and DMT. Keep that in mind if traditional therapy doesn't work for you, but make sure to talk to your doctors about it. I certainly don't suggest just going out and dropping acid and thinking that will cure you.

All that research involves the drug + talk therapy. It will be very difficult to find a therapist willing to break the law and work with drug therapy outside of the context of a clinical trial.

Experimenting without someone to talk you through it might improve things, it might make things horribly worse, takes a lot of personal discipline for solo psychedelic therapy to actually have net gains. And often, people with that much self discipline don't need any help in the first place

In the (fictional) writings of Carlos Castaneda, there is some talk about how psychedelics only help souls who are born from the realm of chaos and are currently living their first reincarnation. Likewise, I think largely people that have had success with solo psychedelic therapy attempts were "fresh" people who had that self-discipline inside them already, and the psychedelic just happened to wake it up. If it hadn't been the psychedelic, it would've been something else, and the psychedelic ends up being falsely attributed as being what caused it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I’ve been consistently having night terrors most of this year. They’ve gone from a couple times per week, to basically every night. Lately, the terrors that I’ve remembered have been all of my surgical scars opening up and bleeding uncontrollably. Needless to say, I don’t remember my last good nights sleep. It’s gotten to the point that it’s starting to disturb my girlfriend-o’s sleep, and she’s starting to worry. 😐
It’s by no means treating the root cause, but if you’re just looking for relief try half an Ativan before bed.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It’s by no means treating the root cause, but if you’re just looking for relief try half an Ativan before bed.

That might work if I had any Ativan. Also, I’ve been off opiates and benzos for months now. I’d like to keep it that way. Sonata would get me to sleep sooner, but I was still only getting 4-5 hours before interruption, followed by hours of tossing and turning.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone take an anti depressent that actually worked without a large amount of side effects? I tried a couple and most I couldn't tell the difference. I tried Prozac for a while and that was really bad. Really went off the rails in a hurry with that one. Like 3 days was enough.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone take an anti depressent that actually worked without a large amount of side effects? I tried a couple and most I couldn't tell the difference. I tried Prozac for a while and that was really bad. Really went off the rails in a hurry with that one. Like 3 days was enough.

I've had success with escitalopram. There's a few issues I have to deal with as a result of it, but they're manageable.

iannis

Musty Nester

They need to stop prescribing prozac. I've never heard a story of it actually working.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Duloxetine/Cymbalta has been great for me.

Borzak

It's literally been much easier to get opioid prescriptions than anti depressent ones. Gonna try again starting next week.

Borzak

I hope anything they give me clears up my mind. It's incrediably hard to focus on anything right now. Like picking up a phone and using it takes all I've got and then some. Not only mentally hard to focus but seems like my eyes take forever to focus as well which isn't helping.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I hope anything they give me clears up my mind. It's incrediably hard to focus on anything right now. Like picking up a phone and using it takes all I've got and then some. Not only mentally hard to focus but seems like my eyes take forever to focus as well which isn't helping.

Asked my doc for something to help with stress and related TMJ-type pain. She suggested OTC 250mg of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA). Just a couple days in, but I feel a little better.

The eyes not focusing can be bp related.

Borzak

Pretty sure it's not bp related. I check bp and heart rate multiple times a day. BP is always nearly the same 120/80 give or take. I take medication to get my heart rate down and it stays around 70-85 now.

I'll have to research the GABA, not sure what that is.

Edit - looked it up. I had been taking that for almost 2 years and I finally stopped 6 months ago I could never tell it was doing anything.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Focus problems can be more about you than the Prozac.

What's your activity levels like? Being active and getting out (regardless of how shitty it feels) has been shown to be as effective as any antidepressant. Meds can only do so much. If you really want to get out of that ever-widening hole: you have to program yourself to do the shit you don't want to do. It sucks and literally hurts, but it's the way through.

Borzak

I tried prozac nearly a year ago. But it was bad. Just in a few days I knew it was going to be bad and I had to get off it now.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Pretty sure it's not bp related. I check bp and heart rate multiple times a day. BP is always nearly the same 120/80 give or take. I take medication to get my heart rate down and it stays around 70-85 now.

I'll have to research the GABA, not sure what that is.

Edit - looked it up. I had been taking that for almost 2 years and I finally stopped 6 months ago I could never tell it was doing anything.

Nuts. If it makes you feel any better, I'd kill for your blood pressure =)

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
All the anti depressants I ever tried just made me apathetic and killed my sex drive. How anything that consistently kills your sex drive yet is supposed to make you happy sounds counterintuitive to me.
Wellbutrin was the only one I ever tried that wasn’t just good, but amazing, but it stopped doing anything after a month.