Health Problems

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
yea if shes blind as a bat, imo, disposables or glasses for life, thats it, no other choice.
There's Intraocular lens - Wikipedia

My wife's contact prescription was -9.25 and -9.5 or something -- if you can't read the top character on an eye chart unassisted, you're legally blind. She had ICL done about 7 years ago. It's easily 3x as expensive as lasik (or was at the time), but was totally worth it for her. Cost of her contacts & supplies as well as quality of life improvements (dry eyes, headaches, etc) made it a pretty easy choice for us.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So for 13 years my wife has had a slew of medical issues from kidney and liver failer while pregnant with her son (her pregnancy triggered a slew of autoimmune diseases), as before mentioned, a slew of autoimmune stuff, a rare bladder disease and resulted in the remove of her bladder and a handfull of kidney infections that hospitalized her for 1 to 2 weeks over the past 18 months. These seem to be lessening now though as her body evens out from her bladder removal and a new medication, hopefully, it'll stay that way.

She went into her kidney doctor for a check-up and she was told one day she'll end up on dialysis (which she was while pregnant) and while she knew that would probably be the case she took it hard. A few days later sure enough a sample she gave had really high levels of protein in them, so now they want to schedule biopsies to see if its something weird her kidneys are doing from the slew of other things she has, her stoma doing weird things, one of her meds or if it IS in fact early Kidney Disease.

It's been a hard 18 months for her, I wish I could do something to help. So instead of letting my worry show I keep upbeat and try to keep her busy. Hopefully, the biopsies end up with positive results. In the meantime, I'm kinda a mess inside with this and everything else that's went on this last month.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, that's not good.

I worked with an older guy whose daughter was being eaten alive by cancer. Not idiomatic, she was being eaten alive from the inside. They kept cutting bits out of her every few months. The girl was only like 27. Jesus, it tore him the fuck up just as bad as her.

No point to that story, really.

That shit's not easy, Tarrant.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Ah. Dialysis. As someone who sees many, many patients who come in for a slew of reasons, the dialysis patients are some of the most frustrating. Patients who decide on peritoneal dialysis come in with severe infections, peritonitis, hypertensive emergencies with systolic blood preasures exceeding 220 requiring a Cardene drip in the ICU. Or worse, the patients for hemodialysis who repeatedly DO NOT go to their appointments causing them to go into lethal arrhythmias from severe electrolyte imbalances.

I'm really sorry to hear about your wife's condition. Keep being her best supporter as this is, I'm sure, very difficult news to digest.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah she’s not the type of person to slack on that sorta thing. She’s dealt with this sorta thing for over a decade and is in top of it all. Like I said hopefully it ends up being something else, which honestly that’s what I’m learning towards. Wouldn’t be the first time he body has done weird things. I just wish she get a break from bullshit and be able to live her life free of it for a little while at least.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Just went to get my prescription of Levemir. (insulin). It quadrupled in price. 50 bucks to 200 bucks a month. How do people afford this??

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just went to get my prescription of Levemir. (insulin). It quadrupled in price. 50 bucks to 200 bucks a month. How do people afford this??
People wonder why there are noncompliant diabetics

My januvia without coupon is like 90 a month

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Got off the phone with my PCP. There is no substitute or generic for Levemir. Welp. Guess I gotta give up the snacks.

• 1Solidarity

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Levemir 5 x 3 ml flexpen is 100 bucks in the Novo Nordisk motherland. Time to increase the stock portfolio?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Got off the phone with my PCP. There is no substitute or generic for Levemir. Welp. Guess I gotta give up the snacks.

For levemir, you're basically paying for convenience. NPH is cheaper (one-tenth the price) and is a "long" (technically intermediate) insulin with duration of about 10-16 hours. May be dosed either once or twice a day.

If your PCP doesn't want to prescribe it, figure out why or find an endocrinologist if he's giving you the runaround.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anybody know much about lymph nodes? I'm having large pain on both arms in the underarm area, but on the arm itself. Not on the body. I thought that was backwards. If it doesn't get better today I'm going to the doctor or clinic.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm off to the ER in just a few. This has never really been about pain. The lymph nodes are killing me. It also at times feels like bone pain. I'm not real sure it's hard to define. Just in my arms and my legs "real" pain not really discomfort. Looking back at the last few labs. My red blood cell numbers and those associated it with it were low, white always normal. My B12 has been off the charts. Super fatigue. Like too tired to even breathe at times almost. The heart rate continues to be high if I don't take medication to get it down. A lot of this before has been discomfort bleeding into pain. Now it's just pain. No fever, no cough. My throat is very sore however where they normall check for sweelling lymph nodes. Just weighing myself the other day down 20 pounds not near as much as the 35 I was several years ago.

In the past till the last week I would skip my Tramadol and ibuprofen a lot of days. Then last week started to take it regulary. Then last night it got incrediably bad after being woke up. Had to double down on both.

I'm sure I'll get a MRI to see. Sucks, just added a CGM sensor I'll have to take out. I hit 30 days of using it and my predicted A1C is 6.5 and 98% glucose in the target range of 70-180.

I felt like another infection a couple of days ago. I had to really up my short term/fast acting insulin. In the past I could tell also when I would sneeze it had a different semll to it. Sounds odd.

Last edited:

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Ok, there's a lot of information in there to digest. The lymph nodes are unusual, especially just in your axillae. In regards to your fatigue, you may be bleeding which could be the reason for the low hemoglobin levels. In regards to your heart rate, if you are on a rate control medication, you are supposed to take it every day. Do you take it as needed/.

Also, you're taking likely a shit ton of ibuprofen. Pretty concerning. What you can do at home for shits and giggles is pull your bottom eyelid down to see the color. If it's pale, bad. If there's color, good.

• 1Like