Health Problems

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Doc prescribed me Abilify and Seroquel because of my raging ADHD and bouts of intermittently finding it hard to get things done. Previously got Adderall and stopped taking it because it gave me so much goddamn energy that it was straight-up impossible to sleep for 2-3 days. And that's on a 10MG dose because zero tolerance.

I haven't taken either of the two new ones yet.

Isn't Seroquel generally regarded as awful and something to be avoided?

What about Abilify, any positive reviews of that one?
Seroquel for ADHD?

Are you seeing a doctor or a nurse practitioner?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Seroquel for ADHD?

Are you seeing a doctor or a nurse practitioner?

Not just ADHD, also anxiety.

So I take it Seroquel is bad?

I still haven't taken either of those or even opened them, will probably try Abilify eventually.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Are you bipolar/psychotic/having mood swings, or just getting distracted, can't remember things, bump into objects, etc?

You must first realize what these drugs are for. Of course adderall keeps you up, it's a stimulant, think of it like speed/meth. 10mg of adderall is a fair amount, it wasn't adderall XR? Do you think meth is good for anxiety? What is seroquel and abilify for? Google them and do you think those things would help you? One thing that helped me with ADHD was finding things that slowed me down allowing me to focus instead of speeding me up. Roll a blunt with Snoop Dogg or something.

Also, these doctors will prescribe you anti-depressants all day long if you let them.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Not just ADHD, also anxiety.

So I take it Seroquel is bad?

I still haven't taken either of those or even opened them, will probably try Abilify eventually.
Abilify is usually to counter side effects of other antipsychotics, seroquel f.inst., but can be mono therapy also. Source: I see loons and toons daily. Just try them out as prescribed, you want to get better, right?

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I have this thing where I fall asleep / get enough sleep most of the time, but once in a blue moon my mind is just not going to let me sleep. Probably only 6-10 times a year.

would you just accept those numbers and call it a day or try a sleep aid when you feel like you won’t fall asleep ?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'd just keep the melatonin at the ready. I used to be like that but as my life got more organized it went away. I'm one of the 3am people so waking up, which is different from unable to sleep, affects me. Usually reading for an hour is enough to let me sleep again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hopefully this helps someone else, had sudden extreme vertigo yesterday and went through hell the last 24 hours.

Turns out I had BPPV (where some little crystal gets in a canal and moves the fluids around even though your head is stationary) Following the instructions in this video helped diagnose and ultimately pick the correct technique to resolve it:

Dix Hallpike Maneuver
When I look at the eye movement I can only think of bouncy boobs. It might even be possible to reconstruct an animated 3d model of the boob movement, just from the eye movement.

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'd just keep the melatonin at the ready. I used to be like that but as my life got more organized it went away. I'm one of the 3am people so waking up, which is different from unable to sleep, affects me. Usually reading for an hour is enough to let me sleep again.
I’ve read recently that melatonin is a bad idea to help with sleep. Since it’s a hormone adding it fucks with your overall balance.

think I’ve posted it before, but this has been helpful and informative for me:

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are you bipolar/psychotic/having mood swings, or just getting distracted, can't remember things, bump into objects, etc?

You must first realize what these drugs are for. Of course adderall keeps you up, it's a stimulant, think of it like speed/meth. 10mg of adderall is a fair amount, it wasn't adderall XR? Do you think meth is good for anxiety? What is seroquel and abilify for? Google them and do you think those things would help you? One thing that helped me with ADHD was finding things that slowed me down allowing me to focus instead of speeding me up. Roll a blunt with Snoop Dogg or something.

Also, these doctors will prescribe you anti-depressants all day long if you let them.

Forgot about this thread for a bit. Not psychotic or clumsy. I do have "bipolar tendencies" and angry mood swings (though those only seem to happen when I see an MSNBC thumbnail on Youtube).

Main thing I wanted to take something for was productivity. Anything that can help me get shit done would be amazing, because there are days where I feel like I'm made of lead and it's nearly impossible to get things done. Then other days I'm completely hyper and can get a ton done, but as I've gotten older those days have gone from 70% of the time to like 5% of the time.

Adderall definitely helped me get things done. Either 5 MG regular or 10 MG XR. At first I liked the regular since it comes with a nice high that doesn't interfere with any faculties. Then I liked the XR because, even though the high is less pronounced, it seemed to be much more "level" for my mood whereas regular would make me a bit too hyper. Then I found that XR wouldn't let me sleep AT ALL on some nights. So now I like regular again. Not that it matters, not being prescribed it anymore because they wanted to try other stuff.

I'm about 90% sure that seroquel was something I took briefly a few years ago and it gave me incredibly bad restless leg syndrome. Absolutely debilitating "can't sleep at all" need to move around. One of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to deal with, even if it was only for a day. It might have been something else but, again, 90% sure it was seroquel. I told the current doc that I'm good on seroquel but he insisted he send a script my way anyway in case I want to try it. Jesus.

Never tried the abilify. I guess I'll give that a whirl some time soon. Maybe it'll be a huge help, maybe it'll fuck me up. Who knows, these doctors seem to just throw darts at a wall. From looking around the nets, it does sound like abilify is pretty good. I just want my "days where I'm useless and do the bare minimum" to be more normal and high-functioning.

And yeah, they REALLY want to give people antidepressants. It's ridiculous.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any advice for a herniated disc? I've got one right in the mid-back, so leg twists targeting the lumbar are too low, and arm movements targeting the upper thoracic are too high. No real way I can crack it or pop it most of the time so it just aches away.

I'd say it's right around T6/T7, give or take a couple.

Had it for a while, even had an MRI done and then the docs dismissed it as "it doesn't look bad" and that was it. It was just an annoying ache for a while. Later after I bugged them enough they threw some meds at me. It's bothering me a lot more lately though, starting to become really fucking irritating. Maybe I should get another MRI and consider surgery if it's worse... Really don't want that though.

If anyone's got herniated disc experience and has some home remedies that'll keep me off of meds, that'd help. I've got an ice-pack in the freezer, I think that might help a lot. Other than that, leaning back in a chair to crack that area on it seems to help for a minute.

Docs put me on tramadol for it, but I've been trying to avoid that because when I was taking it it kinda made me stop caring about anything. I.e. nothing got me particularly excited because the pills were doing it instead.

I might ask for something weaker like dihydrocodine and see how I do with that on days when this is acting up. Though if this gets much worse I might end up needing to bite the bullet and get percoset or something. Like I said though I'd really like to avoid getting back into hard meds.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Forgot about this thread for a bit. Not psychotic or clumsy. I do have "bipolar tendencies" and angry mood swings (though those only seem to happen when I see an MSNBC thumbnail on Youtube).

Main thing I wanted to take something for was productivity. Anything that can help me get shit done would be amazing, because there are days where I feel like I'm made of lead and it's nearly impossible to get things done. Then other days I'm completely hyper and can get a ton done, but as I've gotten older those days have gone from 70% of the time to like 5% of the time.

Adderall definitely helped me get things done. Either 5 MG regular or 10 MG XR. At first I liked the regular since it comes with a nice high that doesn't interfere with any faculties. Then I liked the XR because, even though the high is less pronounced, it seemed to be much more "level" for my mood whereas regular would make me a bit too hyper. Then I found that XR wouldn't let me sleep AT ALL on some nights. So now I like regular again. Not that it matters, not being prescribed it anymore because they wanted to try other stuff.

I'm about 90% sure that seroquel was something I took briefly a few years ago and it gave me incredibly bad restless leg syndrome. Absolutely debilitating "can't sleep at all" need to move around. One of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to deal with, even if it was only for a day. It might have been something else but, again, 90% sure it was seroquel. I told the current doc that I'm good on seroquel but he insisted he send a script my way anyway in case I want to try it. Jesus.

Never tried the abilify. I guess I'll give that a whirl some time soon. Maybe it'll be a huge help, maybe it'll fuck me up. Who knows, these doctors seem to just throw darts at a wall. From looking around the nets, it does sound like abilify is pretty good. I just want my "days where I'm useless and do the bare minimum" to be more normal and high-functioning.

And yeah, they REALLY want to give people antidepressants. It's ridiculous.
Get a different doctor if they’re prescribing you stuff just to try.

Work on improving basic lifestyle stuff and then reevaluate. It may not fix whatever you have going on, but it certainly isn’t going to make things worse. Decide on one small change, do it for a week or 2. Add a related/complimentary change. Repeat.
If you miss a day, so what continue the next day.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Get a different doctor if they’re prescribing you stuff just to try.

Work on improving basic lifestyle stuff and then reevaluate. It may not fix whatever you have going on, but it certainly isn’t going to make things worse. Decide on one small change, do it for a week or 2. Add a related/complimentary change. Repeat.
If you miss a day, so what continue the next day.

Main lifestyle change I'd like to make is working out 20 min a day or so. I've gotten somewhat out of shape for the first time in my life in 2022. I've got a full-on home gym set up and haven't been using it much at all this year or last year. My arms/shoulders were always one of my strong points and as of right now they're verging on scrawny.

The aforementioned herniated disc makes working out very unappealing, but maybe working out would actually help with that (rowing, particularly).

Going on a walk every evening around dusk is something I used to do a lot, maybe I can make a routine out of that in modern times. My issue isn't that I need to slim down or get cardio, it's that I'm getting weak. A regular walk time would be good for the brain and heartrate though.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I have this thing where I fall asleep / get enough sleep most of the time, but once in a blue moon my mind is just not going to let me sleep. Probably only 6-10 times a year.

would you just accept those numbers and call it a day or try a sleep aid when you feel like you won’t fall asleep ?

Find this tea or anything similar to it. Basically anything with valerian root.

Last edited:

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Main lifestyle change I'd like to make is working out 20 min a day or so. I've gotten somewhat out of shape for the first time in my life in 2022. I've got a full-on home gym set up and haven't been using it much at all this year or last year. My arms/shoulders were always one of my strong points and as of right now they're verging on scrawny.

The aforementioned herniated disc makes working out very unappealing, but maybe working out would actually help with that (rowing, particularly).

Going on a walk every evening around dusk is something I used to do a lot, maybe I can make a routine out of that in modern times. My issue isn't that I need to slim down or get cardio, it's that I'm getting weak. A regular walk time would be good for the brain and heartrate though.
If you’re having trouble making it a habit, shoot for 5 minutes. Do it in the morning, get some unfiltered light. There are a ton of benefits beyond physical for a little exercise etc.
Find what works for you diet wise, but reduce the amount of processed stuff you eat. It all adds up, there’s no single ‘magic pill’.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Any advice for a herniated disc? I've got one right in the mid-back, so leg twists targeting the lumbar are too low, and arm movements targeting the upper thoracic are too high. No real way I can crack it or pop it most of the time so it just aches away.

I'd say it's right around T6/T7, give or take a couple.

Had it for a while, even had an MRI done and then the docs dismissed it as "it doesn't look bad" and that was it. It was just an annoying ache for a while. Later after I bugged them enough they threw some meds at me. It's bothering me a lot more lately though, starting to become really fucking irritating. Maybe I should get another MRI and consider surgery if it's worse... Really don't want that though.

If anyone's got herniated disc experience and has some home remedies that'll keep me off of meds, that'd help. I've got an ice-pack in the freezer, I think that might help a lot. Other than that, leaning back in a chair to crack that area on it seems to help for a minute.

Docs put me on tramadol for it, but I've been trying to avoid that because when I was taking it it kinda made me stop caring about anything. I.e. nothing got me particularly excited because the pills were doing it instead.

I might ask for something weaker like dihydrocodine and see how I do with that on days when this is acting up. Though if this gets much worse I might end up needing to bite the bullet and get percoset or something. Like I said though I'd really like to avoid getting back into hard meds.
I am just now getting over (hopefully) two herniated disks in the lower back which I got probably from exercising. Two things, one: pain killers are bad because they just mask the pain, they do not fix the underlying issue. Two: go to PT for 3 months and work hard at it. Also, stop being fat.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I just remembered this mostly only happens the night AFTER a night of heavy boozing. Which - I guess …is probably normal 😓

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’ve read recently that melatonin is a bad idea to help with sleep. Since it’s a hormone adding it fucks with your overall balance.

think I’ve posted it before, but this has been helpful and informative for me:
Melatonin might be a bad Idea for long term. But using it less than once a month is probably the safest shit for sleeping you can find as it's an hormone you're producing all day and night long.

It's possibly an issue if you take it for months or years, daily. For someone who doesn't have a bad sleep usually, it sounds like something worth trying. Valerian or other tea are more for the people that have frequent troubled sleep, it's not going to help as much if it's midnight and you feel like you aren't going to sleep.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Melatonin might be a bad Idea for long term. But using it less than once a month is probably the safest shit for sleeping you can find as it's an hormone you're producing all day and night long.

It's possibly an issue if you take it for months or years, daily. For someone who doesn't have a bad sleep usually, it sounds like something worth trying. Valerian or other tea are more for the people that have frequent troubled sleep, it's not going to help as much if it's midnight and you feel like you aren't going to sleep.
It very well could be, I don’t recall the specifics of what I’ve read.
I’m fortunate that so far I haven’t had any long term conditions that I couldn’t deal with through improving my habits or working to adjust my perspective. I have done some talk therapy on a few occasions. It’s still a struggle and maybe I’ll never feel like some huge self imposed fuck up is waiting around the corner 🤷‍♂️

one step at a time, work on building a solid foundation.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Chances are you're hearing constantly about how unhealthy "seed oils" are for cooking. Does it seem to anyone else like the people making these claims don't actually know what they're talking about? As in, they claim they're bad, but they never have any scientific data to show why?